Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Elly, my schefflera

Posted by tifflj none (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 25, 12 at 22:42

Elly is my "first houseplant". She was bought 2 years ago at Walmart. She was very very small when I brought her home. Havent had any issues with ehr except a few leaves dropped. I have no idea what soil I planted her in but I will bet it was MG. She was in higher light environment before moving here but seems to have adjusted well. She is in a 6" pot. Her new growth has also slowed down. :( Makes me sad. How big will she get?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Elly, my schefflera

Looks really nice to me, I'd say whatever your doing, your doing it right. I'm not sure what causes leaf drop on these, mine goes through phases of dropping leaves for a little while, then it stops...it's a mystery to me. Hopefully someone else can tell us why.

The slow growing can be from a few things, most plants just naturally stop or grow slower in fall and winter time.

And these plants can get quite big. I know outside they can grow into trees, but inside I dont think they get much bigger then 5 feet (could be wrong, but thats the tallest I've ever seen of this plant indoors). Right now, my Schefflera arboricola variegated is about 3 and half feet tall and still throwing out new umbrellas of leaves.

-FPT

o

Hi Tiff,

Very nice Scheff. It's so cute and looks good.

Like FPT said, continue doing whatever you've been doing.

Scheffs leaves are green and healthy..

My Scheffs are semi-slow growing, moreso this year since they weren't summered outdoors.
There in a spot that doesn't get all that much sun, and they are sun lovers.

So, your Scheff will grow 5', possibly a little larger, but you'll be a little older then, too. lol. Toni

o

Nice looking plant, very healthy!

o

Very nice looking Scheff!

Susan

o

Looks pretty nice, but a more exact name is arboricola otherwise known as dwarf schefflera; it's botanical name is Brasaia actinophylla. A true schefflera has leaves 2 or 3 times this size, and in the tropics grows into an 80' tree. Arbs are more bushish, top out around 15', but you can keep them any size you need indoors. As they get older they like to spread out, and droop their branches down around the pot. After 10 years or more, they can easily spread 4 or 5'. Just don't keep it too wet. The soil needs to aerate to 85-90% between waterings.

o

There's no genus Brasaia, but Brassaia actinophylla is a synonym of Schefflera actinophylla, so the same plant. The Dwarf Umbrella Tree is Shefflera arboricola and has variegated and different sized cultivars available.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here