Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vic_zn5

Potato worked!! (fungus gnat larva)

Vic Billings, MT
15 years ago

I just wanted to let ya know, I read in a post on here (somewhere) to cut a potato in half and put it on top of the soil and fungus gnat larva are attracted to it. The poster hadn't ever tried it and didn't know if it would work. I did it and it worked! It worked so good it grossed me out! LOL

I wondered if you could see the larva with the naked eye, oh yes, you can! I am still feeling itchy and "crawly" after pulling my potato out.

I put some slices in some pots and then put a half of potato in another pot, only got larva on the half potato. I could see them moving on the potato, this is after having it in there for 2 days (might have been 3, but I think 2) I know its a big pic, but wanted to make sure you could see them.

{{gwi:104616}}

Comments (39)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    15 years ago

Ok...I've been looking and looking and I can't see any fungus gnat larvae. :-( But what are those little things that resemble tiny seeds?

Do I need my Mr. Magoo glasses, or what?

• Vic Billings, MT
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Those tiny seed looking things ARE the larva, they were moving around, and I could see some that were starting to get longer and more "larva" like.
    At least I HOPE those are the larva and I don't have some other critters infesting my plants!!

• Vic Billings, MT
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok Rhizo, thanks for giving me the creeps! I have went and looked up pics of the larva, and yes, they do not show little moving seed-like things, like I said I did see some that were more like the pics, but they were almost clear and would not show up with my camera.
    Now I'm wondering WHAT these thing are!! And am thinking about just pitching ALL my plant!

15 years ago

Tee hee, sorry about that! I kinda thought that you were thinking that those little 'seeds' were the larvae.

So, they move? I'm intrigued. What kind of potting soil are you using?

They look kind of beetle-like. Wonder if they are one of the teensy decomposing beetles?

• Vic Billings, MT
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok Rhizo, ONLY FOR YOU WOULD I DO THIS!! LOL
    Yesterday after the "photo-shoot" of my crawlies, I put the potato in a plastic bag, very tightly wrapped it up in tape, put in the garbage and took the garbage out.
    Today, I went out and dug it back out and took more pics (I tried to video them moving, but my camera isn't good enough to zoom that close!) But, here you can see how they have moved as I took the pics, I can't get any closer pics.

Now I've re-bleached the table and am going to go take a shower! LOL

{{gwi:104617}}
    {{gwi:104618}}

I used miracle grow potting soil, the stuff is terrible! Now I have expert mix all purpose potting soil. I have already re-potted several plants in this mixed with perilite. I am considering going and getting peat moss and doing a peat perilite 50/50 mix, I have also thought of "cooking" my soil (yes, I know, only Ken does this, LOL I have been told by others that it works also)
    But it would be cheaper than buying more stuff, and I have a giant bag of it.
    I've also thought of using a bleach water mix on them, or ordering some BT and using that.
    *sigh* It's very frustrating!
    Vic

• mr_subjunctive
    15 years ago

Oh noes!! Somebody said Miracle Gro soil was terrible!!

(Brace yourself. She's coming. . . .)

• Vic Billings, MT
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL.... Well, when she gets here I hope she gives me her addy, I will send her this rock hard cement like stuff they call potting soil, bugs and all! : )

• perlite
    15 years ago

EEewwwwww.
    Now, am I talking about them creepy crawlers, or the "soil?"
    And, is there a difference.....?

• Vic Billings, MT
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rhizo, I'm so glad my little critters are keeping you amused! I have a NEW development for you too, I put the potato back in the dirt (a new tater) and NOW I have these teensy tiny bitsy little white things crawling on it! I threw the tater out this am, and put a fresh one in again.
    I did scoop up some soil and put in water, a LOT of these little white things floated right to the top! I couldn't take a pic b/c of course the battery in my cam is dead! I have not gotten anymore of the 'seed' bugs so far (sorry) but we will see what happens with the water method.

If you are really this interested in these critters I will be happy to mail you a soil sample for you to do some experimenting on! LOL

I only have one plant left in the old dirt, and my gnats seem to be getting less by the day.

Oh, and I did water with a 10% bleach water.

• jean001
    15 years ago

Those tiny darkish spots. Mites, but not the nasty spider mites.

• Vic Billings, MT
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So Jean are they bad mites? Is dirt really supposed to have this many bugs in it? I mean, I know there is supposed to be "life", but I didn't think it was anything I could see with the naked eye, at least not in houseplant soil.

• jean001
    15 years ago

Nope. Not a problem at all.

As it turns out, soil -- and potting mix -- has a number of tiny residents we seldom realize are there.

15 years ago

Yay, Jean!

• Vic Billings, MT
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Jean! That does make me feel better! But now everytime I stick my finger in the soil to see if it needs water I think about all the bugs! LOL

So Rhizo, ummm, what would you like me to do with my jar of drowned critters? LOL

15 years ago

I've read that these exceedingly rare soil-mites can survive months of floating in the ocean, years of being frozen solid, exposure to triple XXX rays, hours of being pulsed in the food processor, being set afire with a blow torch, and anything you could possibly think to do with them with gasoline or Texas hot sauce.

SO! I really don't have any idea what you should do with them, but I can promise you that they are not drowned....but simply resting.

Oh, one more little thing that you should be warned about before you

• Vic Billings, MT
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Before I WHAT????
    (you think you're soooo funny don't you!)
    LOL

• sewnmom7
    15 years ago

rizo,vic, you guys are so funny,intertainin,you made me laugh out loud,and i promise you,i needed that. thanks again,molly

• Vic Billings, MT
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Molly, you think that's funny, wait till I send Rhizo some of my exceedingly rare soil-mites! hehehe

15 years ago

'Oh, one more thing you should be warned about before you SEND THEM TO ME'.

These are homing mites.

• Vic Billings, MT
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rhizo, just wait till you see my next post! I've got one scarey looking bug to get id'd

• Vic Billings, MT
    Original Author
    15 years ago

you have to go here to see it!

Here is a link that might be useful: what the hell is this?

15 years ago

Oh, goody! I'll go put on some Depends right now!

• Vic Billings, MT
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I WISH I HAD THEM ON WHEN I FOUND THAT THING!!!

15 years ago

You are just the luckiest thing, you! That's the friendly Sun Spider (aka Wind Scorpion, Camel Spider or Scorpion). They make great pets; I wish I had about a million of 'em. They're a bit ticklish, and may nibble just a little bit. Barely enough to break the skin.

Seriously, these creepy Arachnids aren't spiders or scorpions, though related. They have extremely powerful jaws, as you can probably tell from the picture! They are active predators of other critters.

• Vic Billings, MT
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well it's too bad I didn't know that before I KILLED it! I would have made a nice little pet out of it (NOT)
    BUT, I would have sent him to you to care for! LOL

• steevec573_cobleskill_edu
    13 years ago

I thought the same thing that i had fungus gnat larva. I put potatoes in my soil and see tons of small black bugs, VERY TINY, crawling all over the potatoes.

Anyone have any idea what they could be ? They are too small i think to even take a picture.

Someone with some knowledge please email me off this board as i see this board is dead.

Thank you thank you thank you.

Dying to know what these critters are.

• LucindaC
    12 years ago

Rhizo, you seem experienced with soil. What type of soil would you recommend? I posted a post in my section but haven't heard from you so I figured I'd track you down again. I have used gnatrol and it is effective for a little while but not for too long. Since I have over 60 plants and some plants can't take too much water (some are dying because of the gnatrol drench) but I am considering replanting or buying beneficial nematodes. What do you think? Soil? What kind? or nematodes?

• kp40836
    12 years ago

Glad to see something works for gnats.. I've found a few on my plants (flying/hopping around the soil) and have done the BTi drenching. They are mostly geraniums and I always let them dry out before watering, so I suspect my new plants or the flowers my bf got me as the introduction of these guys. I also had them in miracle gro potting soil that was on sale and have now bought a different type and mixed with some perlite in the hopes of letting the soil dry faster. The weird thing is, I don't see any larvae in my soil, just a bunch of adult gnats climbing around. I'm hoping the BTi kills any eggs/larvae that are growing before they fully develop.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

KP...adding Perlite was a good idea. Packaged soil is fine, if it's amended.
    Some brands are a little too heavy...if soil stays continuously wet, and the air is dry, (or too humid, w/o air circulation,' Gnats will take over.

Maybe the potato works..lol. Toni

• Dee Boatman
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

deezee94

I tried the potato omg I was afraid to touch it I seem those things moving throw it out side across the street in a field.How many times do I do this they are all over. those thing mate faster then rabbits I thing about get rid of all my plants. It is never ending.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago

dee

You need to fid out the reason here are so many. They like moist soil & rotting organic mater. What kind of plants do you grow? What kind of mix are they potted in?

The females lay many eggs while alive, day after day, and the eggs keep hatching accordingly, that's why it seems to be never-ending.

• Dee Boatman
    7 years ago

So do I get rid of the plants ?????

• litterbuggy (z7b, Utah)
    7 years ago

My guess is that you don't let your plants dry out before you water them, because that's what makes gnats flourish. I don't have the problem because I learned long ago that the gnats would go away and stay away if they don't have access to moist soil around. I got rid of my nasty that infestation by letting all of my plants get pretty dry at the same time, and ever since then I've let each plant's soil get quite dry before watering.

I just did a quick Google search and found out that fungus gnats lay their eggs in the top 2-3 inches of the soil, so I suggest you stop watering until all of your plants are at least that dry, at which point they'll disappear.

If you just can't bear waiting until then, do a Gardenweb search for "fungus gnats" and you'll find lots of threads about treating the soil. Just make sure you follow package suggestions check that that whatever you use actually works on fungus gnats.

BTW, waiting to water until the soil is at least mostly dry is one of the biggest things most houseplant growers can do to make their plants prosper.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago

Dee

No, that is not what I suggested. If you answer couple of questions I asked, maybe we can give you few tips that will help.

I have almost 300 potted plants that spend winter indoors and hardly see a fungus gnat. Most are succulents, but I have quite a few plants that like more moisture too.

• Dee Boatman
    7 years ago

I have let the soil dry my Zebra plant is handing over with its leave around its neck like it choking. Its been two weeks since I water them can I put something in the soil I tried every thing I have a beautiful palm I hate to get rid of it

7 years ago

Dee, fungus gnats may be a nuisance, but they don't destroy plants because that's not what they feed on, so something else is making your plant sick.

If the top two inches of your plant's soil isn't dry after two weeks, you've been overwatering them enough that their roots aren't giving them enough water because they're drowning in saturated soil, and have started to rot and die. The only solution to that is reduce soil moisture by removing any water in their saucers and withholding water until all of the soil (including at the bottom of the pot) feels dry before watering again. At that point the roots that are still alive can get back to work, and new roots can grow to catch up with the plant's needs. You'll probably lose some leaves, but I'd you keep controlling moisture the plants should come back.

As for gnats, are the top 2-3 inches of the soil on all your plants dry? I don't know how long the adult flies live, but if they have nowhere to lay eggs it should be a matter of days before they die.

I've posted quotes and links to threads about mosquito dunks, insecticidal soap, and Bayer 3-in-1 insecticide. Read the posts carefully for specific directions on where to get them and how to use them.

Best of luck!

Mosquito dunks

". . . . float the dunk in a container of water overnight, then use that water to water your container plants as you normally would. At least three consecutive times on your usual watering schedule, expect it to take three or four weeks to kill any hatching larvae and stop the breeding cycle.

I brought the gnats home in a new indoor plant once (I saw them around the plant in the store and didn't realize their significance) - ended up with them in every container plant, some that were decades old. I don't over water. My feeling is that keeping soil on the dry side might prevent them from establishing, it wasn't helpful in eliminating an infestation."

Years later, as I'm growing more from seed and need uniform moisture, I prefer the liquid form of BTi for convenience, but the dunks method does work."

Insecticidal soap

"Getting rid of fungus gnats is easy. Fungus gnats spend most of their life in the soil. They emerge as flies to mate and lay eggs in the soil so killing the flies accomplishes nothing. The eggs hatch and become larvae. The larvae feed on debris in the soil and plant roots.

Take care of the eggs and larvae and you'll have no more fungus gnats. Mix a 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of insecticidal soap with a quart of water --no more soap than that you don't want to burn the roots only get rid of the gnats. Water the soil of the plant with it. You don't need to make the soil sopping just water a it so the soil is damp. You can always go back and do it again. The soap kills both eggs and larvae and won't hurt the plant if mixed right. If I do get them I usually only have to do it once and they are gone but there is no harm in doing it again if you don't get them all.

As a precaution I water the soil with the soap solution when I prepare it for planting and then I never have fungus gnats."

Bayer 3-in-1

"I agree with Josh... cut back on the watering.

Fungus gnats love a moist environment, and if you provide them with one, they will happily stick around and breed.

By cutting back on the watering, you will do yourself and your Hippeastrum bulbs a huge favor. First, the gnats will go elsewhere... and second, Amaryllis bulbs do not like to remain too moist for long periods of time. They are rather susceptible to rot and fungus issues, and in reality, they prefer to be treated more like succulents, and some prefer a more bonsai-like medium... one that drains extremely well, and is of larger particulate that doesn't retain a perched water table within the pot.

If you don't allow your bulbs to dry out properly in between waterings, you'll likely start them on a road to demise. The root systems will drown, literally... and begin to rot. Such rot can quickly claim the bulb, too.

If you want to spray something, Bayer makes a 3 in 1 product that's a fungicide, insecticide, and a miticide all in one. It comes in a turquoise spray bottle labeled 3 In 1 something or other... I can't recall the name, but you'll see it... all decent garden centers carry it. I use it to keep spidermites and whitefly at bay.

A systemic granular product would work, too... Bayer makes a Rose and Ornamental insecticide and feed in one, in a blue bottle/container available at any decent garden center. Sprinkle a little on top of the soil, and as you water it in, it dissolves... the roots uptake the product, and it works from the inside of the plant, out. I use this product on plants I take outside for summer, and I re-apply about twice annually.

Honestly, fungus gnats are a sign you're going a little heavy on the moisture. Water only as the bulbs need it... which is when the medium has sufficiently dried out. You'll need to stick a finger down into the medium to check... as far as you can. If you feel moisture, hold off. Don't water until a soil check comes up dry.

A wooden skewer works for this purpose, too. You can get packs of 100 at a grocery store for about a dollar. They're actually shish-ka-bob skewers. Stick the pointy end down into the soil at an angle, toward the root ball, and leave it there for a little bit... pull it out and press it to your cheek. If it feels cool and moist to the touch, hold off on watering. If it comes out dry, your bulb needs a drink.

It's my contention that the soils or mediums sold retail are not truly what plants require. They hold too much moisture for most plants, and do not hold their structure well, at all. There is very little aeration, and most are formulated for the convenience of not having to water so often, but this is at the expense of plant health and vitality.

Please read the attached article... it will give you a little insight into mediums, moisture retention, and what plants really need.

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Soils - Water Movement & Retention XIV

Lenore

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago

...'Dee, fungus gnats may be a nuisance, but they don't destroy plants because that's not what they feed on, so something else is making your plant sick'...

The flies are the nuisance, but larvae/maggots is the problem. Flies have quite short life span, but lay many eggs. Whole cycle from egg to adult fly laying eggs again is only about a month.

Few larvae most likely won't do much damage. But if there is a big enough infestation, it will cause a problem. Larvae usually feeds on fungi in the soil, but also on seedlings, damaged/rotting roots, any plant debris left in the pot = organic material. If the potting soil used is rich in organics, it's a heaven for fungus gnats, especially if the environment is constantly wet.

Overfertilizing doesn't help either - I don't know if Dee fertilizes her plants or not.

Dee

I am not sure what you refer to as zebra plant, as few are using this common name for very different plants.

If you really want to decrease or eliminate fungus gnats, 1): reconsider the potting media: adding more inorganic materials to it would be step in right direction. (Excellent read about soils in the link posted above).

2): make sure you water only when needed; skewer check as Lenore mentioned above, is good indicator. Make sure you don't keep poking the roots with it, and make sure you insert it about 3/4 down inside the pot.

3): do not overfertilize.

4): pick up all plan debris, empty any standing water. Keep good air circulation, using a small fan will help.

5): I would get mosquito dunks and yellow sticky strips for immediate help (and probably use potato again if you have so many). Using chemicals is not necessary (just as any other methods like dunks and sticky traps, it is temporary). Most important and for long term solution, is not to provide the environment they like...

7 years ago

Thanks, Dave, I didn't know the larvae would go at the plants. Good to know!