Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantmasterm

king or queen of what plant

plantmasterm
11 years ago

how about this for fun: lets all post a picture of the same plant that we're growing..say for instance I will post a picture of the plant that I grow the best,or so I think.. lets say its a kalanchoe or a cactus whichever one I will post a picture of it and anyone growing the same plant post a picture of theirs, when someone changes to a different plant we all post a picture of the next plant that is mentioned..if you don't want to play thats cool, but we all know how we love to see pictures of plants..how about at the end of the post we nominate an individual queen or king of that particular plant..anyone willing, if not sorry to waste the space.

Comments (21)

• plantmasterm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

the plant Im putting up for show is the kalanchoe daigremontiana

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hi PMM,

Is that what you think that is? It's not, I can't say which it IS, but it's not that, K. daigremontiana is grey/brown in color. This may be Bryophyllum/Kalanchoe crenatum.

Looks very happy & ready to take over the universe!

• plantmasterm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

PG Ive searched many many sites trying to identify this plant,I have a kanlanchoe bryophyllum, so can we agree to disagree, if you point me in the right direction I will gladly change the id..I will post a pic of it as soon as I can snap a pic..so where is your pic of yours..Im here to learn just like everyone else..okay plant ppl help us out with the id

• emerald1951
    11 years ago

Hi...thats a very healthy plant......
    this is my picture and I have been told it is a mexican hat...I am sure that is a nick name.....
    the plant is in my fairy garden.....linda

• plantmasterm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Emerald I simply love love love your fairy garden..thank you for posting, I thought this was a fun idea, but I find that the house plant community seems to be very clique oriented, if certain ppl don't reply or play neither will they..how sad..I like having fun..I'm just saying.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hi PMM,

Sorry folks haven't signed on to your thread as you hoped, it is a holiday weekend, maybe lot of folks are away or out barbecuing.

I don't have pix as it's been 10 yrs. or so since I gt rid of mine, too invasive for indoor collection.

I had been given a large apple green one, w/ no ID by a prominent collector, K/B crenatum was the closest ID I ever found.

While I don't wish to start trouble, Kalanchoe / Bryoplyllum are often used interchangeably. In recent years Bryophyllum seems to be used for the types that have the babies on the outer edge of the leaves. The second name is where we seem to be disgreeing.

K. daigremontiana, as I said appears green/grey, often w/ marks or mottling, especially the underside. I see some apple green ones mis-IDed as that online (sorry, don't know how to post links), but most reputable sites show the K/B daigremontiana colored & patterned as I described above.

I'm sorry to hear you think it's cliquishness keeping folks from responding. I don't think that's why, as I mentioned above.

• plantmasterm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

After you posted first time I went back to at least six sites, so I understand where you're coming from..like I said I'm here to learn as well..will post pic soon

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

I don't have any plants like that. Those are nice ones!

The only plant I have worthy of nomination in this discussion would be a very old parlor palm. Hope it's not too quick to mention another plant, and somebody probably has a bigger one, but here it is.

• plantmasterm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

purple I love your palm..I would post but I don't have one of those..nice job

• plantmasterm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

PG, this is the one you're talking about right?

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Yes, PMM, that's the one I mean. Can have darker mottling & more maroon undersides, depending on how grown, but yes.

• flowerpottipper
    11 years ago

Here's a picture of my Kalanchoe/Bryoplyllum, it's no where near beautiful (actually it's really sad looking lol).... I thought it had died on me a while ago when suddenly new leaves appeared, so the bottom half is empty of all leaves. I still really like the ones Planmasterm and Emerald1951 have, but I can't find it anywhere.

Does anyone know if all Kalanchoes grow babies on it's leaves? I have a Kalanchoe fedtschekoi Variegata that grows a couple of pinkish/white babies on it's leaves, not as many as the others thats been pictured on this post, but 4-5 per leaf.

Purpleinopp- I love your palm, it's really beautiful.I have no palms because they seem to get pretty big and I don't have enough light in my home to keep one of those looking nice.

ps- yes, I know I need to clean the lens on my camera, so sorry for the blurry picture.

11 years ago

That's a wild looking plant! My eyes keep going to the Begonias in the background though...

• plantmasterm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Purple, is the smaller pot a cutting from the larger plant..if you're in the states I'm willing to share for a trade or SSBE.. Is this correct ?(self stamped bubble envelope)..pls correct me if I said this incorrectly..check with others first because I've read in this forum that they are invasive, if you wish to keep the plants from sprouting everywhere simply remove all pups before they drop..just my opinion.

• plantmasterm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

FPT, is the kalanchoe on the right the k fedtschekoi?..if not could you post a picture..now, we're being unfair to purple because she changed to a palm so now we're posting pics of palms unless someone else changes to a different plant..have a great day all

• flowerpottipper
    11 years ago

Plantmasterm-

No, those are both the same plant, here's the K. Fedtschekoi variegata, it doesn't hve any babies at the moment because I pulled them off to try and grow them cause I love this plant, it's really pretty-

• elkay_gw
    11 years ago

Here's my parlor palm

{{gwi:94295}}

• plantmasterm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Elkay yor palm is gorgeous ..everyone pls keep posting

• plantmasterm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Elkay, love that blue plant stand

11 years ago

I gladly concede defeat to that beautiful plant! Great!!

• elkay_gw
    11 years ago

Thanks, PMM.

Purple, I think your palm looks good! It's hard keeping those leaves clean when they're inside, isn't it?

Ok, how about Dracaena Warneckii - anyone have any? I have quite a few and have given many away after propagating from stem cuttings.
    {{gwi:101055}}

{{gwi:101056}}

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner