Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bananatree_gw

Split Leaf Philodenderon

bananatree
9 years ago

Years ago the supermarker tricked me into buying a "split leaf philodenderon" of course I now know that it is actually a philodenderon monstera, I like to trim my plants and root them a lot so all the splits are gone now which is what lead me to discover what my plant actually is. Trouble now is that I keep reading about all these mysterious species of mini split leafs but no one stocks them? Anyone have a connection? Point me in the right direction?
Something like this? http://www.exoticangel.com/plant-library/species/rhaphidophora/item/521-mini-split-leaf

Thanks!

Comments (15)

• lauraeli_
    9 years ago

A split leaf philodendron is the same thing as a philodendron monstera. A 'mini split leaf' is unrelated to a split leaf, and neither are actually philodenderons. Not sure where to buy them.

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

There's no plant called a "Philodendron monstera" They're both names of separate genus. The text in your link gives detailed information. You'll need to show a photo of your plant for a better ID. The difference between Rhaphidophora tetrasperma and Monstera deliciosa can be difficult to pick when the plants are small. But the Rhaphidophora leaves don't get as large as the Monstera leaves. And Monstera leaves don't usually split at the small size that Rhaphidophora leaves do. I usually find that Rhaphidophora is labelled as Philodendron or "Little Monster", whereas Monstera is usually correctly labelled. Retailers labelling isn't always good to go by.

• dellis326 (Danny)
    9 years ago

Rhaphidophora tetrasperma can often be found on ebay if no-one sells them near you.

Also, despite the name "mini" none of these plants stay small.

• Jason J
    9 years ago

I've noticed that when a Split leaf starts to split is when it starts to climb. It seems the more it climbs and the brighter the light the more them split. I have this huge old guy that I bought at a yard sale, that I am in deep love with as it is old enough to produces some large split leaves.

• summersunlight
    9 years ago

The most accurate name of the "split leaf philodendron" is actually Monstera deliciosa. Supposedly, the fruit it produces when it grows in the tropics is quite good tasting, so I assume that's where the delicious comes from.
    They're great plants. I love mine!

In addition to the Rhaphidophora, there is a small vine that produces leaves with holes in them called Monstera obliqua that you might like.
    Most of the time, the easiest way to find these less common plants is to buy them from nurseries that sell online - either on ebay or on nursery websites.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Philo bipinnatifidum and xanadu often get mistaken for Monstera. I'd love to see your plant too! The fact that you are propagating it often leads me to think it's almost surely not M. deliciosa. But unfortunately, I'm only relaying the last via reading and pics. I've never had an M. deliciosa, but do have M. obliqua and several diff Philos.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

So that turned out to be a rhaph after all? If so please say so because if I'm mistaken,I need(well okay,want)to know.

9 years ago

Bananatree hasn't been back, but it's an interesting discussion.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Hiya Purp...I agree.

By the way the above question was addressing you specifically. Sorry if I was vague. :)

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

Asleep, your last photo looks a lot like Epipremnum pinnatum.

9 years ago

E. pinnatum is one of the numerous synonyms of E. aureum.

Asleep, sorry, I'm lost & don't understand your question.

Also M. obliqua, a bit chlorotic but doing OK I guess. Hopefully the acidified water I gave it a few days ago will help.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

You sure Tropic?
    I looked a pics of pinnatum,and I'm still pretty convinced that what I have is obliqua (aka monstera friedrichstahlii).

Have nothing against E.pinnatum,...wouldn't mind having one some day...but for now I'm pretty sure I don't.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Hi!

Ummm...what I meant was that when I sent you what I thought was a M.deliciosa,it might have been a R.tetrasperma.

Suspected that someone had helped with that along the way and if the info I had was wrong I'd kinda like to know,so I can stop spreading misinformation. lol

Edited to say that I always thought that E.pinnatum was not an aureum...could wiki have it wrong? Some say that wiki is an awful place for plant info,though I still use it(but second guess it a lot!).

This post was edited by asleep_in_the_garden on Mon, Sep 22, 14 at 12:49

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

The E. pinnatum/aureum story is that some time back someone managed to convince the boffins that aureum was in fact a variation of pinnatum. Later the boffins changed their minds again and decided it wasn't, so it went back to aureum. But E. pinnatum was always there, so whilst it now can be a synonym of aureum, it's also a species in its own right.

This is one of my pinnatums (unless it has been changed, or it was mis-identified for me years ago). Leaves on juvenile plants are entire, but some mature plants have pinnate leaves. I guess I should do a thorough study of the flowers to find out for sure. I should have some taxonomic descriptions of epipremnum and monstera.

{{gwi:104656}}