Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Your Most Cherished (Sentimental) Plant?

Posted by moonwolf Z6 Central PA (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 13, 10 at 23:47

Hi everyone,

To answer my own question, I have to say it's my Hoya carnosa. It was my first houseplant and I got it from my high school home-ec teacher. It's in a pot now with other cuttings from some of the nice folks over on the Hoya forum I got last year. I now have approx. twenty Hoyas plus a few other houseplants. I also got a cutting of carnosa that's from her grandmother's plant this year. She was one of the ones who sent me my first carnosa cuttings last year. Here's a picture of my baby (I call her Nikki in honor of my best friend who died the summer before senior year). I just put it into a new hanger today.

Photobucket

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Your Most Cherished (Sentimental) Plant?

my Jasmine 'Maid or Orleans'.. because the scent immediately took me back to the time I was 6 or 7, sniffing my first jasmine flower at a neightbor's house. The memory was incredibly vivid, every time she bloomed! :)

o

My Most cherished plant? Thats a tough one! I love them all. I guess the one I would pull out of a fire first would be my Jubacia Chilensis (Honey palm). I sprouted it from a seed collected in 1999 from a botanical garden in Antibes France. It has flourished sans problem for over ten years now in my sun room.
I have many other cherished plants though. I have two Jades Planted the year my son was born (1973) ,and a yellow crown of thorns given to me by a friend in 1979 (it has not been repotted since I got it. Too many thorns). I have many plants 20 years or older that I grew from seed or cutting that I would have a hard time parting with. They are like my children. Any one else out there have any really old potted plants?

o

I meant to say I got my cuttings from TigerDawn and Jennifer on the Hoya forum. Whoops! TD is the person I was referring to in the first paragraph.

Kemistry, I have Maid of Orelans too. The smell took my breath away! I got mine at Wal-Mart and thought it was J. officinale until I posted pictures of it on GW.

Dizzyloo, it must be great to have plants that age that are still going! Hoyas (especially carnosas) are usually long lived too. My home-ec teacher hasn't repotted hers in about five or ten years (that was back in '08).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here