Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Office plants, Help and ID's?

Posted by SarahofLayton none (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 9, 12 at 0:04

My guess is a Dracaena Marginata below is a close up of another stalk in the same pot. We have 2 more of these in the office.

My guess on the next one is some sort of Yucca? We have a lot of these and none of them look like they are doing very well.

This last one is my favorite, the monstera deliciosa I took my clipping from. It too has suffered some neglect, but I still love it very much.

Thanks for any advice on caring for these or ID's.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Office plants, Help and ID's?

Dracaena Marginata looks correct to me.
Do not think that they others a Yuccas. Looks more like Dracaena fragrans 'Massangeana' to me.

o

Love the monstera!

o

I agree with Drock on the ID's. Judging from what I can see of the soil in the Dracaena fragrans, what little of it there is, these plants are in desperate need of repotting, some pruning of the roots.

o

Thanks for the help! Purple, I've never repotted plants this large. Should I wait until spring to do this? What can I expect when repotting these big plants?

I'm not even sure if I'm actually willing to do this, since these aren't my plants and I don't get paid anything extra to mind them. What I would really like to do is just lop off some heads and take them home and let the ones at work...die. I suppose I could ASK for the money to provide new soil and the space and time on the clock to do it.

Is there anything I can do for them without repotting them? Maybe just throw some soil on top (ha) and fertilize them?

o

"I could ASK for the money to provide new soil and the space and time on the clock to do it." I would. If somebody cared enough to supply the place with plants, they should have an interest in keeping them alive. Do you know who to talk to?

I happened to document when I repotted my Mom's D. fragrans recently.

Since there's no seasons inside a building like that, I would do it soon if possible before it's too cold outside. If all you can do is add a bit more soil, try to get it under the roots, not on top. If you have someone pick up the plant from fairly low on the trunk, it should come out cleanly, leaving an empty pot on the floor. Then you can add soil to the bottom and replace the plant. With so little existing soil, a repot wouldn't be that messy and should only take about 10-20 mins per plant.

o

Thanks for the help Purple. I'm going to ask one of my coworkers, who is a fellow plant lover, for some help giving some love to the pots. Ha. There are SIX of these things in the office. Some of the other plants are um, a Scheff? (umbrella tree?) 4 Mariginatas 2 of those snake(?) plants, 3 majesty palms, the Monstera and one I can't ID. I'm sort of irritated that there are SO MANY plants and they're just hoping somebody will take it on. Sigh, these plants are going to die.

o

It's always Somebodyelse's job. But so many jobs are Somebodyelse's job that Somebodyelse doesn't have time to do them all. So Nobody does them. Problem solved.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here