Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarahoflayton

Office plants, Help and ID's?

SarahofLayton
11 years ago

{{gwi:104712}}

My guess is a Dracaena Marginata below is a close up of another stalk in the same pot. We have 2 more of these in the office.

{{gwi:104713}}

My guess on the next one is some sort of Yucca? We have a lot of these and none of them look like they are doing very well.

{{gwi:104714}}

{{gwi:104715}}

This last one is my favorite, the monstera deliciosa I took my clipping from. It too has suffered some neglect, but I still love it very much.

{{gwi:104716}}

Thanks for any advice on caring for these or ID's.

Comments (7)

• Drock
    11 years ago

Dracaena Marginata looks correct to me.
    Do not think that they others a Yuccas. Looks more like Dracaena fragrans 'Massangeana' to me.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Love the monstera!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

I agree with Drock on the ID's. Judging from what I can see of the soil in the Dracaena fragrans, what little of it there is, these plants are in desperate need of repotting, some pruning of the roots.

• SarahofLayton
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the help! Purple, I've never repotted plants this large. Should I wait until spring to do this? What can I expect when repotting these big plants?

I'm not even sure if I'm actually willing to do this, since these aren't my plants and I don't get paid anything extra to mind them. What I would really like to do is just lop off some heads and take them home and let the ones at work...die. I suppose I could ASK for the money to provide new soil and the space and time on the clock to do it.

Is there anything I can do for them without repotting them? Maybe just throw some soil on top (ha) and fertilize them?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

"I could ASK for the money to provide new soil and the space and time on the clock to do it." I would. If somebody cared enough to supply the place with plants, they should have an interest in keeping them alive. Do you know who to talk to?

I happened to document when I repotted my Mom's D. fragrans recently.

Since there's no seasons inside a building like that, I would do it soon if possible before it's too cold outside. If all you can do is add a bit more soil, try to get it under the roots, not on top. If you have someone pick up the plant from fairly low on the trunk, it should come out cleanly, leaving an empty pot on the floor. Then you can add soil to the bottom and replace the plant. With so little existing soil, a repot wouldn't be that messy and should only take about 10-20 mins per plant.

• SarahofLayton
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the help Purple. I'm going to ask one of my coworkers, who is a fellow plant lover, for some help giving some love to the pots. Ha. There are SIX of these things in the office. Some of the other plants are um, a Scheff? (umbrella tree?) 4 Mariginatas 2 of those snake(?) plants, 3 majesty palms, the Monstera and one I can't ID. I'm sort of irritated that there are SO MANY plants and they're just hoping somebody will take it on. Sigh, these plants are going to die.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

It's always Somebodyelse's job. But so many jobs are Somebodyelse's job that Somebodyelse doesn't have time to do them all. So Nobody does them. Problem solved.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County