Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
question about Murphy's Oil Soap

Posted by kemistry 8 - Oregon (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 9, 10 at 0:52

Hi guys,

I have a question about the neem oil + dish soap + water mixture.

I couldn't find any non antibacterial dish soap at my local grocery stores, but I ran into this brand:

Murphy's Oil Soap Original Formula
http://www.colgate.com/MurphyOilSoap/products/original-formula

Can I use it in place of the dish soap?

Thanks for your time! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: question about Murphy's Oil Soap

I dont think so, I think it would kill plants.
Christine

o

When I worked for an indoor plant landscape company, we used it (diluted) for pest control.
It never harmed plants.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 9, 10 at 12:39

I've been using and posting this recipe for many years - no complaints or issues to date:

Start with a pint of very hot water in a 1 qt spritzer bottle. Then add a tsp of cold-pressed, pure neem oil and few drops of Murphy's Oil Soap (or non-antibacterial dishsoap). Shake well. Add a pint of 70% rubbing alcohol. Shake again and spritz. Make sure to cover all surfaces, especially the underside of leaves and leaf axils (crotches). Shake frequently to keep the blend emulsified. Spray at 2 week intervals. Use it all or discard any remaining when you've finished spraying.

Al

o

Thanks everyone! I'll switch to this brand, then. Whew!

(I was using the antibacterial dish liquid previously until I stumbled upon a post here on GW that said it shouldn't be used, I think it was from Al's..
So thanks Al!. :o) )

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 9, 10 at 16:51

You're kind .... and you're welcome.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here