Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
propagating a leafless vine from pothos?

Posted by kate95 none (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 24, 13 at 0:55

My pothos is only about 8 months old (if that counts for anything) I started it myself from a cutting off of my aunts plant. The leaves on the vine to the left all fell off while still rooting in water and now i am left with a bare vine. is there any way i can cut it off and start a new plant without the leaves or should i just leave as is? the plant is my baby and its hard for me to decide on what would be best!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: propagating a leafless vine from pothos?

Just leave it alone. Your plant isn't sitting in water, is it? You'll be happy to know that Pothos is wonderfully adaptable to the climate of the typical home....without the need for pebble trays, misting, etc.

I've mentioned this because it looks (in the picture) like your pretty plant is sitting deep into a pebble lake.

Your 'baby' looks happy and full of promise. It would be interesting to see a picture taken next year at this time.

o

Are the 2 vines connected where they go down into the soil? I can't see for sure, but it looks like the left vine is about to sprout a new tip. Whether it is or not, it's not long enough for me to be confident about trying to propagate it, especially with no leaves.

When the tip of a vine is cut, it has no choice but to make another one, often several. Ideally, each node is ready to make a new vine of its' own, with roots and a growth tip.

Does this drawing help?

o

Thank you rhizo for the help! the pebbles at the bottom are just for decoration and the plant isnt sitting in water, Here is another question that you may be able to answer: when i first got it i had decided to grow the plant completely in water but the roots kept outgrowing the vases so i planted it in soil. however, if you look at the roots where the vine had started there is a white chalky like growth on it. it doesnt seem to be doing any harm, but i would like to know what it is.

o

purple, the two vines are connected at the root where it goes into the soil.just an experimental question: do you think if I cut the tip off the vine it would force itself to start new growth?

o

Yes, there would be no other way for it to grow but to start one or more new tips. Nipping off the newest leaf, even if still rolled up, should do it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here