Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Large Potted Tree too big

Posted by tom-in-fla none (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 25, 11 at 1:54

I have a large tree ( Ti--not sure of the spelling). It has been outside all summer and grew too tall. This tree does not have branches but grows straight up with huge leaves. Its incredible looking but needs to come back into the house. Would look great in a beach-bar!

I have no idea what to do with this plant, but will be in big trouble if something can't be done to save it. Can it be cut in half? I'll try to take a picture tomorrow.

Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Large Potted Tree too big

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 25, 11 at 7:42

Most trees can be cut back hard with little in the way of ill effects other than the fact you have to wait for them to fill out again, but let's reserve judgment until we see a picture or at least get it identified. FWIW, the time to be thinking about substantial reductions in the size of a tropical tree or houseplant is in the month immediately before its most robust growth - probably June, for you.

Al

o

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Okay. Hard time figuring out how to post this pic. This website is different, see if you get the picture.

How can it be made smaller without killing it?

Tom

o

Tue, Oct 25, 11 at 21:56

I can't give you any meaningful advice w/o knowing what plant we're discussing or at least seeing a picture. If you can't post, just send me an email. I'll reply & then you can attach a picture.

Al

o

Ti plant...one of the Cordylines.

o

Tue, Oct 25, 11 at 22:50

Huh! - the picture wasn't there before my last post - strange.

If it's too tall, you can cut it back to practically any ht you think you'd like it to be. It will back-bud & send out several lateral branches. If it was Jun or Jul, you could cut it back nearly to the soil line & just wait for it to back-bud, knowing that it would have the rest of summer to make leaves & store energy. Now though, you need to be aware of the fact that cutting off viable foliage is cutting back on the plant's ability to make food, so it would be best to be reserved and probably not take off more than 1/4-1/3 of the ht. DO leave all the lower foliage (below your pruning cut) on the plant, it's what will fuel new growth, along with whatever reserve energy the plant has now.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here