Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No Oranges on Dwarf Orange Tree

Posted by Instantrefill OH (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 17, 11 at 5:24

Thirteen years ago, I purchased a dwarf orange tree. It had four small oranges on the tree at the time of purchase. Unfortunately, I think I overwatered the tree and killed it, but the oranges remained. I took the seeds from the oranges, and have one orange tree from those seeds here thirteen years later. I keep it indoors all the time here at my home in Ohio. It is now about 2-3 feet tall, and very very healthy, but no oranges. How can I get it to once again produce oranges?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No Oranges on Dwarf Orange Tree

Hi Instant. It's probably too late, but you should have held off tossing the mom Citrus. As long as it had oranges, it was alive.

Most likely, the original tree was grafted. The seedling you sowed isn't. Right?

Grafted Citrus have certain advantages seed-grown doesn't. For one, grafted trees flower and fruit sooner than seed grown. Grafted trees start fruiting 2-3 yrs of age. Seedlings can take up to 14 yrs. It depends.

If possible, you should place your Orange outdoors in summer.
How much light is it getting indoors? Citrus should be set directly in front of a south or west window.

Citrus fertilizer is best, but if you can't find it, a high nitrogen fertilizer will do.

Proper watering is very important. Never keep soil soaking wet. Let dry between waterings, especially during winter months.

Some humidity and fresh, circulating air is important.
Dry, stuffy rooms cause problems.

When young, citrus should not be potted in huge containers. Allow roots to grow. When they fill pot, repot in a container 1-2 sizes larger.

Now that winter is nearing, place your citrus in the sunniest window in your home. Preferably a cool room. Never exceed 75F degrees.
Indoor/gas heat, not outside temps.
Also, do not put a plant directly in front of a heating vent.

Do you have a photo? How large are the thorns? Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here