Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm concerned

Posted by Polly381 none (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 9, 12 at 7:05

I had my plants outside for the summer. It rained quite a bit, well seemed like almost every day for 2 months. I tried to wait until they were dried out before I brought them in but then it rained again and the temp dipped down into the 40's the end of August/ early Sept so I brought them in.
My worry is that my big plants are to wet and will rot. The smaller plants have dried a bit. So far there is no sign that they are suffering. Should I be worried?
Before I put them out next summer the big plants are going into Al's mix.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm concerned

Morning Polly...

Don't worry. We usually get quite a bit of rain in Oct, so far not much this year.

Before I bring plants inside, 'soil' and foliage is hosed, re-hosed and then placed in the kitchen sink, hosed again.

I detest spiders, so I want to make sure they're out of the pots..My plants are soaking wet by the time they're set in place.

The house is fairly dry..you'd be surprised how fast soil dries when air is dry.

If you're concerned about soil staying wet, and keep them outdoors, most likely it'll rain again. Before you know it, it'll be time to take plants outside again..lol..

Really Polly, no need to fret..Toni

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 9, 12 at 10:09

If you think your plants are too wet, you can use a little science to help you fix it. Try inserting a wick into the drain hole & allow it to dangle beneath the pot bottom. Tilting the plant at a 45* angle when soils are soggy changes the shape of the soil occupied by perched water and actually reduces the amount of perched water the soil CAN hold, often forcing quite a bit of excess water to drain from the pot. If your plants are small enough, hold them over the sink & move them downward toward the sink and then smartly upward. The rapid reversal in direction from downward to upward employs Newton's First Law of Motion to help drain the pot. If the root/soil mass can be lifted from the pot intact - just remove the plant & set it on a stack of newspapers, towels, etc, for 5 minutes & all the perched water will be removed.

More help dealing with water-retention at the link below.

Best luck!

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: Click me & I'll take you there!

o

thanks hopeful but they didnt have time to dry out for 2 months. I do the same thing to kill bugs and spideys. THey are not welcome vistors in my home either. LOL
Al yes I was thinking about that because of my other thread. But I wasnt sure if I can get the wick in far enough. I thought maybe it had to be put in place while repotting. S a wick is what I will do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here