Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ivy?

Posted by greenlarry UK 8/9 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 11, 12 at 7:28

Anyone grow ivy indoors? I know its a garden climber but the genus is worldwide with up to 15 species, so I was wondering if there are any tropical or subtropical species. One of my first houseplants that mum bought me when I was a kid,one reason I have a fondness for them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ivy?

Do you mean Hedera helix cultivars? If so, it is VERY commonly grown and sold as an indoor plant, though probably not the most ideally suited. I'd nominate it as the plant most likely to decline due to intense spider mite pressure.

o

Well I had Hedera helix as a kid but there are many other species from around the world.

o
Asking about Ivy?

One of my first indoor plants had been a Glacier Ivy (variegated w/ white & some gray), which was quite nice & didn't seem so bug prone.

I bought any ivy years ago (lovely heart shaped leaves), arrived w/ a massive mealy bug infection. I returned it to the CT nursery, who told me they'd had to discontinue that vendor.

o

I never have had luck with them. My house is to dry in the winter and they dont seem to be able to tolerate it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here