Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Guess the plant this is on

Posted by greenlarry UK 8/9 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 22, 12 at 7:42

I know what this is, cos I grew it, but can anyone else guess?

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Guess the plant this is on

Not enough info, for me. There are soooooo many purple Solanum flowers.

o

Hint, its an outdoor plant that I grew indoors

o

Solanum dulcamara?

o

Not familiar with plant but no.

o

There's so many Solanums it would be difficult to pick the species just from a photo. There's well over 1000 species, many with very little apparent visual distinction.

o

Its edible...

o

That's not a helpful hint....ANYthing can be grown inside for awhile. They could even be a potato variety, and the berries that grow after the flowering is over.

o

Some kind of eggplant.

o

Rhizo got it!

o

What does she win?

o

A pound of spuds ;)

o

I'll bet that some others were thrown off by the little berries, right? Unless you've grown potatoes, you may not know that they produce fruit just like all of the other plants in that big family do....tomatoes, eggplant, etc.

Potato fruits, however, are not edible.

o

Thanks, Rhizo! So, what time's dinner?

o

Ah rhizo, those 'berries' are unopened flower buds, but yea your right, potatoes produce fruit too, green and nasty
I think most solanums produce poisonous fruit.

o

It can only be a potato. For those in the US, Larry wouldn't describe egg plant (aubergine) as an outdoor plant, especially not in Darlington. Too chilly. The petals are not pointed enough and the leaves are wrong for Solanum dulcamara (Woody Nightshade or Bittersweet, a UK native) and the leaves in the background are clearly potato. I can't see any berries in the picture, just flower buds. There is actually a very limited number of purple flowered Solanums Larry could grow outdoors here. Solanum crispum and potato is about it. And I'm not certain S crispum would be happy in Darlington.

o

Yep, spot on flora!
But as an aside, arent those flowers gorgeous! Normaly spuds produce white petalled flowers.

o

Fascinating investigative process, Flora, bravo!

Location, location, location.

o

When potatoes were first introduced into Europe the French were highly suspicious. A M.Parmentier popularised them by wearing a sprig of potato flowers in his hat and giving them as gifts. The fancy-sounding dish Hachis Parmentier, turns out to be what Larry and I would call shepherd's pie.

Here is a link that might be useful: Potato flowers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here