Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Large Yucca with brown leaf tips

Posted by ttkidd Toronto ON (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 1, 08 at 8:07

I have a large Yucca, about 7' tall that has started developing brown leaf tips. I've heard this can be caused by too much salts in the soil, but thought I'd post the question up here to see if there were any other possible causes.

I should probably repot anyway, as I haven't changed the soil in over two years, and it's pretty much impossible to lug the thing to my bath tub to properly leach the soil.

Tyler

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Large Yucca with brown leaf tips

There most certainly are many causes that might bring about brown leaf tips and among them....including the chance the water has too high a concentration of salts;
overwatering, underwatering, not enough humidity,locating the plant in drafts from doors, windows, heat vents...or from placing a fan for moving air around...or a combination of any and all.

You would be best judge if you think you're overwatering...and/or underwatering.
Salts concentrations would have to come over time....as fertilizer is given or if by chance you are on well and soften the water with sodium.
You might speak to your well-man or a plumber and ask whether you can safely use potassium chloride in place of the sodium in your system. (if you have one)
Such use of well water would have to be stopped and instead use a tap offline or collect rain water or bottled water.

Needless to say you should keep your leaf tips looking good with a pair of scissors.

If the cause isn't too discernible, try elimating or changing one, then another of the possibilities.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here