Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reusing 5:1:1 mix...

Posted by tifflj 6 Pitts, PA (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 8:24

Hey Everyone. Hope this thread finds you all well! Just to say again, I am so glad to be here and talk amongst you all about a common love. Pretty darn neat!!

It appears my parlor palms arent going to make it. My question is, Can I reuse the mix in the pot for another plant, or is it garbage? I know the root system on the palm wasnt strong to begin with so I am certain the plant obviously didnt root well. It would be a shame to see that mix go to waste...

Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reusing 5:1:1 mix...

What did the roots look like? Did they show signs of insects or any kind of infection?

o

• Posted by tifflj 6 Pitts, PA (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 8:46

The roots were...hairy, stringy. No sign of rot or insects, from what my uneducated eye saw anyway.

o

If you didnt have the plant in the soil for very long, and the roots were healthy, I would inspect the soil and would probably reuse it if it looked good.
BTW have a good trip, you going somewhere warm?

o

I've never reused potting soil. I am too nervous about any kind of cross-contamination. I feel guilty and wasteful when I toss it out in the yard, but I think nerves would get the best of me if something happened to the next plant in that pot.

o

Hi Racheal, normally I wouldnt either but she only had the plant in it for a few weeks. It is a risk but if the roots look healthy and the plant died from stress ( not bugs or infection) I think its safe. But then I could be wrong.

o

• Posted by tifflj 6 Pitts, PA (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 19:46

I do believe the plant died of stress. I think I was a little rough in seperating the roots/plants when I repotted. Stupid me. I would like some others to chime in though before I make a decision.

Polly, Vegas until Saturday! Whoot Whoot!

o

Nice hope you have a great time.
a consensus is always best

o

I do it all the time with my indoor plants and have never had a problem. I do not do this with my outdoor plants coming inside; they get new soil before the move back indoors. Besides, you only had the plants in there a really short time, so I'm sure the soil is just fine.

Nancy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here