Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New plants

Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 21, 12 at 8:27

Last night we went to HD and I bought 3 new houseplants, yes I'm getting hooked. I saw them on the reduced table and got them for half price. They are Kalanchoe 'Magic Bells', Peperomia 'LL Green' and an Anthurium. The Kalanchoe didn't look to well because it had been neglected but I thought I might be able to revive it. It had been reduced to $3. The first thing I did to it when I got home was set it in water so it could take up what it needed. The soil was bone dry. It had also finished flowering but was showing new growth at the bottom and some at the top. The peperomia was healthy looking but the Anthurium was just finished flowering. Don't know why it was on the table but for $10 I figured why not take it home. Anyone have any of these and could tell me how to look after them? Thanks. Marg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New plants

Marg! Where's the pics? I'll bet after receiving help here, they will look ten x better than they already do. In fact, they probably already do now they have left that store.

Mike

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 21, 12 at 10:28

They're coming! Had to recharge my camera battery. I guess I hit them on a day when they got new shipments of other plants in and had to clear out some old stuff. I have never seen a Kalanchoe 'Magic Bells' before so I googled it when I got home and am really glad I bought it. When I went to pick off a dried flower, there were lots of tiny seeds in it. Never had that before either. The new Bromelaids were beautiful but at $25 each they had to stay in the store! I will post pics of my babies later today or tomorrow. Marg

o

Sun, Oct 21, 12 at 10:52

Here are the pics of my new babies. The first one is Kalanchoe 'Magic Bells'.
DSC02771
Here you can see the new growth.

These pics were edited to correct them but I don't know why it didn't take. Sorry about that. Marg
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This is my new LL Green peperomia.
DSC02772

The last plant wasn't labeled but I think it might be Anthurium? There is some discoration on the leaves. In the bottom pic, the large leaf on the right is not discolored, I think it is just the light reflecting of it.
DSC02773

Photobucket

I edited these pics to correct them but I don't know what I did wrong. Sorry about that. Marg

o

Cool, is that kalanchoe one of those that produces baby plants on the leaves, in which case it could be Bryophyllum, and that new growth could be one of the babies that fell off. Or it could just be as labelled, a kalanchoe.
(Kalanchoe and Bryophyllum are pretty much the same, but all kalanchoes that produced babies were moved to Bryophyllum)

o

Sun, Oct 21, 12 at 12:27

I don't know if those are babies or just new growth, guess I'll learn as I go. I googled it and it is from the family Crassulaceae (sp?). Marg

o

Yea they're both from the crassula family. Its a huge family including sedum and sempervivum

o

For the Anthurium, lots of light, allow to dry to barely moist, never soggy. I got one in June, you can see its' progress here if you want. Some other people's pics too. You might also enjoy the article for Anthurium at "Plants are the strangest people" blog.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here