Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Do you have/like Crasulla, 'Jades? Pictures please

meyermike_1micha
12 years ago

Let me start by saying this could be a lot of fun! There must be some secret Crassula/Jade and succulents lovers that have yet to post pictures?

Josh for one has a few beauties and I am sure he will be by to post a few as well as many others I know. We typically hang around the Cactus forums, but they are a houseplant, so why not here too.

I am not good at naming them but at least I can grow them.lol

If anyone can name them, that would be nice and appreciated.

Enjoy and please post your special cactus and succulents:-)

Mike

I am not sure of this one. It does have moss growing on the surface too.

{{gwi:105163}}

{{gwi:105164}}

Jades, Gollums, Skinny finger, some variegated, colored, green and one from Germany.

{{gwi:3208}}

{{gwi:105165}}

{{gwi:3210}}

{{gwi:105166}}

{{gwi:105167}}

{{gwi:3207}}

{{gwi:105168}}

{{gwi:105169}}

This one may look familiar with some. I received this special one from a good friend here for which whom I would of never have been able to grow these plants successfully.

{{gwi:105170}}

In my variegated Calamondin tree Pot, I found this! I love it.

{{gwi:105171}}

{{gwi:105172}}

{{gwi:105173}}

Look at what I found bring all these plants in this am! I threw a bunch of 'Hummel' sunset jades into a pot and they rooted to my surprise. I have not seen them since about April.

{{gwi:105174}}

Have a great day all! Please share yours now:-)

Mike

Comments (118)

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Christopher. It can be confusing. After looking at the pics, I started doubting, too. lol.

Thankfully, no snow, yet, but lots of rain. Cold rain, and strong, frigid winds.
    I hope it doesn't snow until Thanksgiving or even Christmas. It's too soon..
    I hope Halloween Day is nice and warm, w/o rain, for the kiddies to go Trick-or-Treating.

How much snow did you get? Toni

• kaktuskris
    12 years ago

Hi Toni,

Here I think we got 6 to 8 inches of heavy wet snow, lost my cable and internet for several hours. Out in the western part of New Hampshire, one town got over 30 inches. My town and several others around here either postponed or outright cancelled Halloween. I feel bad for the kids.

Christopher

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Christopher...I too feel bad for the kids who counted on trick-or-treating..but I feel sorrier for families without electric.

I turned on TWC and couldn't believe how much snow eastern states got. I can't recall the number of people w/o electric, but it was huge.

It's time like now, we wish we were living in warmer climates, for reasons other than our plants. :)

Hope the snow melts..What happened to Global Warming? Toni

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Well Toni,

I can't see the diff btwn the Kleinia & the E. tirucalli (firesticks?)

Do you know that last pic you posted, the 4 sided succulent, is that what you're calling a cucumber? If you don't already know this it's a Cissus Quadrangularis (aka Veldt grape, from S. Africa).

A bizarre & interesting plant. I grew one for a few years, then one summer, one of those segments grew 14" in one summer & that was rather much for me. I got scared about the potential size of the thing & gave it away, cool plant tho'.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Karen...here we go again. lol

Here's the site I bought Kleinia. In fact, pics 1, 3, and 5 came from the same nursery.

http://www.worldplants.com/Kindex.htm

I have a small C. Quadrangularis, somewhere around. I grow it as a bonsai though. Leaves differ.

They do look alike.. I Googled both, and both plants look similar...

• gravyboots
    12 years ago

Linda! That white jade at the right of your first photo (of the 10/30 post)... it's so unusual - is it an aberration of the variegation or is it a separate plant?! I have never seen anything like that.

GB

• prayerrock
    12 years ago

wow such lovely Jades(and other plants). I didnt know this thread was even here..I will add some of my Jades now also, glad to join the fun..thanks mike for inviting me to this forum.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

GB:

Believe it or not, that beautiful jade Linda has is a cutting from this tree I sent her a while back. It loves her care I would say:-)
    {{gwi:105253}}

{{gwi:105254}}

Mary! Welcome! Yes, we can't wait to see some of your pics. Bring it on will you?:-)

Chris: We are still paying a heavy price for this storm. Halloween is Sunday night now. I never saw that before. Glad you are ok.

Mike

• emerald1951
    12 years ago

HI......and yes GB that is a cutting from Mikes beautiful jade......I hope someday my jade is as good looking and big as Mikes....
    hopefulauthor, you posted a picture of a jade earlier in this thread and you called it ....sunset w/yellow
    I really like that one....would it be possible to get a cutting (am hoping you might have another plant) or where did you get it???? am willing to trade, yo can see in my post what I have.....linda

• paul_
    12 years ago

Paul: E-mail me. I think I might be able to help you:-)

Dropped you an email, Mike. ;)

Here is my lone contribution to this jade thread.

{{gwi:105255}}

• kaktuskris
    12 years ago

Toni:

Most of the snow is gone now, we had some warmer sunny days which helped. But some people were without power for several days.

Mike:

Yes, Halloween is Sunday night in my town, too. Let's just hope that snowstorm was a freak thing, and not a sign of things to come. Either way, honestly, I think this will be my last winter in such an inhospitable climate!

Christopher

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

My Goodness, this thread grew........ lol

It's nice hearing people are proud of their plants. It doesn't matter what size Jades or other succulents/tropicals are..health is most important.

GW is an escape from today's news. From all that is going on these days. It surely helps..Well, it helps me.

Reading posts, looking at others' pictures...a happy escape from reality.

Linda, I got the Yellow Sunset Jade last April from JadePoint Succulents.
    Due to flooding, JadePoint is closed.

I can give you a small cutting...should we wait until spring?

Christopher...how did Belated Halloween Party's work out? Toni

• emerald1951
    12 years ago

Hi hopefulauthor I sent you a e-mail.....linda

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Paul: I never got an e-mail from you. Very nice jade by the way:-)

Hi Chris! Can you believe the Halloween decorations are still in full gear and the temps will be warmer tomorrow night than last week?lol
    I am about to pack up and leave for a place where palms trees live peacefully.lol

Toni and Linda: Hello!

• kaktuskris
    12 years ago

Toni: Don't know about Halloween Parties, just know the Trick or Treat is Sunday night. Don't know why not Saturday night...

Hey Mike: Yes, this has to be the craziest Halloween ever. And save me a seat on the plane, I'll meet you in the tropics!

Christopher

• paul_
    12 years ago

"Hi Paul: I never got an e-mail from you. "

Hmm, how odd. Well I tried again -- emailed it through GW.

Thanks for the compliment, Mike! Though it has nothing on most, if not all, of the jades you and others have posted.

• sclement
    12 years ago

As this plants are a little bit a pride for me, i post some more pics of them, made in the years 2008-2011

A picture of both my Ovata's indoors during winter 2010. They seem exceptionally green at the time. The small one in front started as a small twig fallen off the big one, about 4 years before. You can see i placed the big one on a trolley to be able to move it. In spring i repotted it to the wooden tub which i fitted with wheels.
    {{gwi:105256}}

About the same time, now the large one standing alone on its trolley. You can see the bowl-shaped pot it has, being already to small compared to the plant. I bought this bowl 2 years earlier for about 40 euro's to give it its definitive container, but it outgrew it rather quick.
    {{gwi:105257}}

Here the plant outside in the same bowl, late summer before last pictures. When repotting it turned out the roots at the bottom had not developed well because the soil was to wet. Hence the beautifull moss which i very much liked. (also caused by intensive fertilising)
    As soil i used a mixture of about 40% clay, 40% peat, and 20% sand + gypsum, mixed well. This dense soil gave it a firm base, but does poor drainage. When i repotted it last year i filled the tub with peat soil only, on the bottom mixed with fertiliser pellets.
    {{gwi:105258}}

Some close-ups from the impressive trunks:
    {{gwi:105259}}

{{gwi:105260}}

{{gwi:105261}}

Here a recent picture of the large plant in its tub (November 2011). Frost has been very slight until now (-1 / -2 celsius) so it survived under blankets at night. Thanks to a record-dry November it has grown a lot of new loots this month. I hope it will stay above 0 for some time, because i dont really like to share my house with it longer then needed.
    {{gwi:105262}}

leaves
    {{gwi:105263}}

It looks giant like this. Btw i have recently been to a pinetum and took some sequoia giganteum seeds with me. They still dont do a thing... tips anyone?
    {{gwi:105264}}

The last picture, which shows both Ovata's in my pretty small and shaggy garden. A mammoth tree can fit right in
    {{gwi:105265}}

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My goodness! Where are you from, Asia or some where much warmer than here in Massachusetts? Your plants are amazing and remarkably healthy. Do they flower for you? I noticed you said you keep them in cold temps.

How long have you had some of those? Truly too big for my windows.lol. No wonder many keep them in the Bonsai size, since they can get quite huge if well cared for and happy.

Mike:-)

• sclement
    12 years ago

Im from the netherlands. This winter is just one for us with this mild temperatures, as often in this country. Frost will kick in during December most of the time.

But the plants dont flower. I think our winters are to cold and to wet. Or my inside climate and lighting is not right. I wish i had a greenhouse!

The biggest 1 i got as a gift in 2002, then aged about 3-4 years. So it must be 12-13 years now. The small one is aged about 5 years.
    I do not really care for them. I just put them outside, give them a well-sized container and some fertilizer in summer. In winter prevent them from freezing. For the rest there is hardly any care involved.. its such an easy plant!

But indeed, they grow tall outside. Their growing speed surprised me, and now i'm wondering what the limit of their growth will be. (they are getting hard to handle)

• emerald1951
    12 years ago

HI.....sclement...what huge jades...they are so cool...
    thanks for posting the pictures....linda

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    12 years ago

Sclement,
    The Jade in the wooden tub is incredible! I've seen Jades around here that were supposed to be twice as old as yours and not look as good! Maybe I should stop pampering my jades?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Hello, Jade admirers!
    Sclement, you have a lovely pair of Jades!
    They look to be 'Skinny Fingers' from here.
    Wonderful.

Josh

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

Oh, my goodness, I wish I had a piece of this clone, but it'll wait to my trip to the RSA.

http://crassulaceae.net/forum/uploads/1404_b0001237-1resized.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:105156}}

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Now Jeff!

I have that jade, just without the color until the spring. I got it from a special friend that couldn't care for it anymore who actually owned a nursery. Mine looked just like that when it arrived.

If you would like a cutting of one like that, e-mail me privately:-)

Mike

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    12 years ago

Jeff,
    That is an incredible jade! The color is amazing!

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Sclement..your Jades are huge and beutiful. When it's cold, how on earth do you bring them in the house?

Howdy All..Toni

• paul_
    12 years ago

Gorgeous jades, Sclement!

• paul_
    12 years ago

Gorgeous jades, Sclement!

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

Sclement,

Thanks for showing us some Dutch jades. I really like the trunk shots.

{{gwi:105266}}

I bet as soon as you get a greenhouse for them they'll be flowering for you in December. They're certainly old enough.

Mike,

Thank you - I just might do that!

And here's what I hear called 'Lemon 'n' Lime' in Europe - I finally got around to making some cuttings.

{{gwi:105267}}

12 years ago

Nice ones, Jeff!

I am curious about your Jade. It is subspecies obliqua, but I don't know if there's more to it.
    If you would be so kind, click the following and have a look at the first image posted. That is
    my Crassula ovata obliqua (green form), which still shows some variegation regardless.

Do your plants have enough trunk to compare? The trunk on mine is very, very distinct,
    with pale internodes and rough, hairy nodes.

Crassula ovata ssp. obliqua (re-potted)

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nice ones is certainly right Jeff !

I love how shiny and pointed the leaves are. I think I tried to e-bay one like that a while back, the world e-bay of course, and that was a joke. Trying to get anything here from those places is always impossible.

I will remember you come the spring, promise.

Josh!

Wouldn't you just love to take a walk among those plants, right? It's amazing how big they can get. I wish I had one that big, but then where could I put it? I have a huge one at work, but not with reptile skin that looks like that. It's beautiful on the rough side.

Howdy Paul, Whip and Toni! Enjoy your day

Mike:-)

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sclement!

I am still admiring your plants! What I can't believe too is that you got them that big in POTS of all things!

Marvelous and if only I could grow one that big, lift it, and have the room for it. I am very surprised they have never flowered. I wonder really why? Nice.

Mike

• sclement
    12 years ago

Mike,
    I do not lift them any more. There are small wheels on the bottom of the large wooden tub, so i push it over a kind of plank into my living room.
    The weather is still very rainy and 0-10 degrees celsius, so i keep them outside. This are however not the best conditions for flowering. I believe they like a meditteranean summer: mild temps and dry. (The summer on the other hand they like hot and wet).
    I am experimenting now with wrapping the big plant into a transparant foil, which keeps the heavy rain outside. The winds however play with it... I think i'm trying bubble foil, wrap it in, with some sticks as a support inside. In this way it will be some kind of greenhouse tent, so i can further delay the moment i have to place it inside.
    Together with some blankets and a hot jar of water it might come trough some freezing nights...

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Sclement,

Im so impressed with your Jades.. They are so beautiful!

The trunk is very unique, never seen a Jade that size before. Goodness...its a beauty!!! I can understand why you dont lift... You would need a couple of extra hands to help you with those massive containers!!!

Merry Christmas to all...

Nice thread, Mike!! : )

Laura

• sclement
    12 years ago

New Sprouts!

Until now this winter has been without any cold in the netherlands... the jades are still outside.
    Temperatures have been just about freezing for 6 weeks.
    It was pretty wet however.

Now look how my jade reacts. It really loves this conditions! It has sprouts all over... Small bright green leaves quickly followed by more, forming "little hands" that are quickly growing to new branches. Many of them form on old marks were branches fell off in summer.

{{gwi:105268}}

{{gwi:105270}}

{{gwi:105271}}

I like this 2 small ferns. They must be about 3 years old now, but growing very slow. I think they like the clay.

{{gwi:105272}}

MERRY GREEN CHRISTMAS EVERYONE !

{{gwi:105273}}

• deadheadri
    11 years ago

No pics to post, and just joined tonight so I could ask Josh to walk me through a few things..
    Have been reading you folks for months.. learning alot!

Thanks.. Charlie

• Laura Robichaud
    11 years ago

Just got finished reading this thread. Mike, that storm really hit us hard last year. I live outside of Springfield, MA. My town also got knocked with a tornado last year too. Crazy. I run a daycare. Thank God for the generator. I was going crazy not having power for almost 2 weeks on both occasions.

My jades are starting to put on a little growth right now. I don't have anything really exciting to show. They're going outside next summer, so hopefully they'll show some nice color come fall.

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

I don't have any Jades right now, but I did just finish scoping out all the cool photos and doing a bit of reading... and then I got to Emerald's photos, and I didn't know anyone but myself still had one of those three legged wooden bucket style planters... and it made me smile!

Mine was my Mother's, before she passed away... and I usually use it to over-winter an ungainly pot of Tulbaghia, more commonly known as "Society Garlic", an ornamental.

Good advice, Josh... I would agree with your views on why Jades are thought to have shallow root systems... and, I've enjoyed the very nice pictures from everyone!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

This thread is one of the reasons I got one.

• Laura Robichaud
    11 years ago

Purple, that is one healthy plant!

Jodi, my mom and I go to antiques auctions all the time. We see many of those. I think many are from estates.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Thanks! Looks like it really liked being out in the sun this summer. Plain green when I got it this spring.

11 years ago

This sure was a fun Thread to re-visit!
    I never grow tired of Jades...and more varieties every year it seems.
    Thanks, Jodi, for taking the time to read through and comment. With a proper mix,
    I find the so-called shallow or fine-rooted plants can have quite extensive roots.

Here's a Jade from Mike, which was discovered by Glen as a leaf propagation
    from a Crassula ovata. Glen has named this one Crassula ovata 'Denethor.' It has ridged,
    crazy shaped leaves, and it is also known to bloom reliably. Not the best pic, but you get the idea ;-)

This post was edited by greenman28 on Mon, Dec 17, 12 at 13:45

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Nifty, Josh! I like it! You really must get great light to grow and bloom such nice plants! The light here is much weaker during certain times throughout the year, and it shows in my growing. I have definitely found that the medium I use allows for much more evenly spread root growth down inside the containers. Except for that one orchid, the roots don't come toward the surface or circle the walls, anymore. It's really a neat concept!

I may have seen the same three legged planter at a garage sale or two over the years, but they weren't in such great condition. Yours appears to be very nice, Laura... mine has a wobbly leg or two from age, I think. It just made me smile to see another one!

Yes, lovely Jades, everyone! I do believe I killed my last one with kindness.

• petrushka (7b)
    11 years ago

i've been trying to grow mine as trees with single trunk. this one i grew from 6" cutting. it's about 7-8 years old. it has the most pretty trunk. now it's 2' from the pot and quite heavy. i just repotted it last year into a larger pot. i found that if i keep them really dry for a year or so and in tiny pot, they really swell the trunk up nicely in 3 years. most of my jades are from 1 tiny mother plant 6" tall that i got some 20 years back. they just multiply after each pruning like wabbits.

• agnieszka666
    11 years ago

any help with those black margins? maybe it is sunburn? i noticed those margins on many fotos above!

11 years ago

No, it's not sunburn (it's on the underside of the leaves). Variegates tend to get dried, ugly leaf margins.
    You mentioned that you use "sandy soil" for these, which really is unsuitable for succulents - and most other
    plants, too. I can't diagnose from here, especially with so little information to go on - such as when you got
    the plant, how you water, et cetera.

Josh

• Debra (6a) West Ma.
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

• stewartsjon
    7 years ago

These bad boys are in one of our clients. The pots are about 3.5 foot high for scale.

Pic is about 9 years old - the plants are still going.

• Debra (6a) West Ma.
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner