Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you have/like Crasulla, 'Jades? Pictures please

Posted by meyermike_1micha 5 (mikerno_1@yahoo.com) on
Wed, Oct 12, 11 at 8:31

Let me start by saying this could be a lot of fun! There must be some secret Crassula/Jade and succulents lovers that have yet to post pictures?

Josh for one has a few beauties and I am sure he will be by to post a few as well as many others I know. We typically hang around the Cactus forums, but they are a houseplant, so why not here too.
I am not good at naming them but at least I can grow them.lol
If anyone can name them, that would be nice and appreciated.

Enjoy and please post your special cactus and succulents:-)

Mike

I am not sure of this one. It does have moss growing on the surface too.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Jades, Gollums, Skinny finger, some variegated, colored, green and one from Germany.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This one may look familiar with some. I received this special one from a good friend here for which whom I would of never have been able to grow these plants successfully.

Photobucket

In my variegated Calamondin tree Pot, I found this! I love it.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Look at what I found bring all these plants in this am! I threw a bunch of 'Hummel' sunset jades into a pot and they rooted to my surprise. I have not seen them since about April.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Have a great day all! Please share yours now:-)

Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you have/like Crasulla, 'Jades? Pictures please

Hey, Mike, great pics! I'll see what I can round up! ;-)

Your first Jade looks like a cultivar of Crassula arborescens, probably 'Blue bird.'

The super unique one from Germany is the Crassula ovata obliqua and 'Hummel's Sunset' cross,
which is called 'Sinkagetsu' (meaning "new Jade") - an incredible Jade, and one I must add
to my collection (along with the orange-red Japanese Jade called 'Ougonkagetsu' -
I think 'ogon' means gold, kagetsu = Jade).

That familiar cutting is looking nice, too! It's grown quite a bit for you.

Josh

o

Hey Mike!

Great collection, didn't know you had so many! You sure have the magic touch with Jades. Nice growing!

Christopher

o

Mike, your succulents and Citrus are doing fantastic. Looks like you're potting in small containers lately. Oh brother, watering!!! AW, just thinking about it makes me tired. lol.

Do you have other Agaves? Finding a freebie in your Calamondin is funny. Hey, but it's a nice addition, especially since variegated. Can't beat that.
Speaking of Calamondin, yours is doing beautifully. The variegation is so vivid. I like the shape. Standard. Did you get it locally? Beautiful!

The leaves on your variegated Jade, 'in small pot' look gigantic. Are you feeding it steroids? lol.

Very very nice.

I found an old camera and finally was able to snap pics of plants recently brought in, or on their way.
I'll post on your other thread, though..

I see weeds/grass found its way in your pots, too. It's a pain plucking weeds out w/o the plant being pulled from the soil. Are you going to remove it?

Did you bring all your plants inside, yet? Toni

o

Howdy!

The Jades are enjoying some warm Fall weather....
the only plants I'm bringing in at night are an Orchid, a Dragon Fruit seedling, and a Desert Rose.

Anyhow, on with the Jades. A hasty assemblage of Crassula ovata cultivars (plus two Crassula arborescens).

Photobucket

On another table, a couple medium-sized plants. 'Hummel's Golden Sunset' (Left), 'Hobbit' (Top),
'Crosby's Compact' (Right), and my "Mother Jade" Crassula ovata (Bottom). The 'Hobbit' and the
'Crosby's Compact' were pruned a couple months back and will need more refining. These two were
sent to me by a very generous Forum member ;-0

My "Mother Jade" is my first Jade, and it was frozen down to a stump several years ago.
She's just now getting back on her toes. A nice colorful Jade with excellent grey/silver trunk.

The 'Hummel's Sunset' is in need of a tight trim.

Photobucket

And, for the second year in a row, this Jade from a kind fellow in Oregon is blooming for me!
Not just one bloom but two! This variety of Jade has pink flowers.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Josh

o

question for all you Jade lovers :)... what soil mix/medium do you all use or is best for jades? I have 3- but seems they arent growing fast enough -they look healthy, but 2 of them are just slowwww growers!
thanks so much

Chuy

o

Hey, Chuy!

I'm using lava rock, pumice, perlite, turface, and screened Fir bark.
The key to healthy succulents is fast, sharp drainage. Eliminate particles under 1/16 of an inch,
and eliminate particles over 1/4 of an inch, and your Jades will be happy.

You could try *lightly* fertilizing your Jades, too. That will help with growth for sure.
However, this is best done in the Spring.

Josh

o

Josh. Does your decorative pots have drainage holes??

Chuy. I don't know your idea of fast-growing, but Jades are, for the most part, slow to medium growers.

For one, it depends on the amount of light they get. Some, slow down or stop growing this time of year.

As long as your Jades look healthy, I'm sure they're fine.

I use well-draining soil/mediums. A combo of MG Cactus Soil, coarse sand, Perlite, smaller than Pea Gravel, (stones,) and a little slow-release fertilizer after mixing all ingredients above. Toni

o
Drainage Holes

Hello, Toni!
All of my containers have drainage holes, and if they don't I drill them ;-)

Josh

o

Love that trunk on the first one you posted, Mike! And also love the white and green varigated. Keep hoping to find both a nice strain of Hummel's and a heavily white and green varigated like yours on the cheap but, alas, no such luck. I have only one plain jade. I'll try to remember to take a pic when I return home next week -- though its nothing like yours or Josh's.

Josh, besides having nice plants, you have some sweet @__ pots!

o

Paul, several online nurseries sell both Hummels and variegated Jades. If you'd like, I can list a few nurseries. They sold on Ebay, too.
BTW, one seller has Hummel's cuttings on Ebay..think they're 3.00, shipping is inexpensive. Toni

PS. Mike, you always start the most interesting threads. :)

o

Toni and Josh- thanks so much... maybe i shouldnt have said "fast growing", but maybe i'm just a little anxious to see them bigger than they are. i've seen so many beautiful pics here i'm jealous! lol.. but thanks again and I will most likely change the mix this spring

Chuy

o

Thanks, Paul!
I'm lucky to live near a massive pottery/fountain/yard statuary warehouse called Pottery World...
most of the pots are somewhat generic, but at least the prices are decent (and they're always holding
sales). I like the lotus-shaped pots, plus they fit nicely on the windowsills. I picked up that crackled
looking pot at the Sacramento Cactus and Succulent Show. Truth be told, I wanted to purchase
one of Keith's (Caudex) pots, but I was too late!

Chuy, you're welcome!
Since you live in southern California, your Jades can grow outside year-round.
If you use a porous, free-draining mix, you can also use larger containers without fear of rot.
A large container will promote much larger growth (in-ground, with free root-run, being the
fastest means of putting on size).

Josh

o

Chuy... No need to be jealous. Seriously. When growing plants, especially succulents, one needs patience.

Are you new to indoor gardening?

You must remember..from now until Feb/March, plants slow down or go dormant. (Sleep)
No sense fighting it..and please, whatever, if you notice one or more plants stop growing, don't add fertilizer.
The plant is speaking to you, saying, 'I need a break, let me sleep,' lol.

When the days grow longer, 'can't wait,' sometimes as early as February, they wake. I once read, 'February, is Mother Nature's True Spring,' for plants; it's so true.

What type of plants do you have? Tropicals, Succulents, others?

Some plants grow during winter months. Maybe you should look into Amaryllis bulbs?? Amaryllis produce the prettiest flowers, in different colors, singles and doubles. And, they're fast-growers, even when started from bulbs.

There are many winter bloomers, too, including succulents. Some Orchids bloom during winter months. Chlorophytum/Spider Plants.

Your plants will grow. You'll see..Toni

o

Lol

I never saw a thread move so fast as this one lately.
It is moving so fast, I can't keep up.

In general I will say that EVERYONES'S plants are amazing. I never realized we had such a bunch of succulents lovers around here and possibly more to come out of the wood work.

I find them all so unique in every way, easy to care for, and such amazing colors. I particulalry like the Jades that color up! I love the 'Hummels' and the variegates. I also love what happens to peoples like Josh's which trun brilliant at many different times of year.

I also love to see the shapes of pots that everyone settles their plants into. I LOVE that pot Josh!
Please keep your eyes open for me, will ya?

Josh I love teh flowering jade which I do not have and the one that you say is one of your favorites! How can I get one of those? I love it. You are right, it is perfect for a tiny container!

Paul: E-mail me. I think I might be able to help you:-)

Mike

o

I went out between the rain drops and got some pics.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

I love that last 'Gollum'! Very nice!

Josh

o

Marquest! Are you kidding me?

Your plants have much more color than mine and the Gollum is to die for!
I love it!
Do you happen to know Andrew? He has some nice plants too. I just wish he would post more often. He live in PA too.

Thanks

Mike

o

Mike, what are you DOING to a recovering C&S addict here?! This is a very dangerous thread!

I'm joking, of course. The thread is beautiful and inspiring. I love seeing all the different varieties.

Mike, the trunks on your jades are so nice! And that one in the ninth picture is amazing. What variety is it?

Josh, that's a splendid assemblage. What's the front-left-most one in the first photo? It's so cute! I really like the shape you have on the the 'Hobbit,' and that thick trunk on the mother jade is beautiful. It's great to see them budded up. That doesn't happen too frequently around here since it tends to get too cold too fast for bud formation outside.

Marquest, wow. I agre with the comments about the 'Gollum.' You give me hope: if your color like that in PA, maybe mine can do that in MA. THey were in side this summer, but next year...

Thanks, everyone, for the photos and discussion. I only have a few, very small jades at this point, after living for some years in a place with no south-facing windows. I just moved and I now have many south-facing windows, though...I WAS in recovery from my C&S addiction! I really was! :)

Amanda

o

Amanda!!! South facing windows is what will get you!lol

If I had more than two south facing windows, I would have so many of them, it would look like a greenhouse.lol. Have fun with it, we only live once!

I see you live in Mass? So do I. You should check out the C&S show come the spring that I am a part of. I can notify you before it comes. Now we are talking trouble.lol

By the way, if your jades are in fast draining mixes, leave them out in the cool weather to be hit with the warm full sun by day and they will color for you!

Mike

o

Hi Mike --

Yeah, the trouble with the south-facing windows is that they're already full! I have a lot of hippeastrum, and I hybridize them, so I have a LOT of seedlings.

But, yes, I'd love to hear about/go to the C&S show, thanks. I'm a big haworthia/gasteria/aloe fan. May I ask where in MA you are? I'm in Somerville, in a very urban area. I don't have much outdoor space, but I do have a big, flat, black rubber rooftop. That's where the hippis went this summer. I'm a little nervous about sticking the jades out there right now, though. It's astonishingly bright/sunny/windy. Yes, they're in a gritty, soilless mix. I have a little cutting from trimming one of them...maybe I'll stick the cutting out on the roof as an experiment.

Amanda

o

Hey Amanda

Mine are still out on the flat part of my roof. Than goodness it is within arms reach to sit them out there.
This is the only way many of my plants will color since it is the only full sunny spot at this time of the year. They are just starting now.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Enjoy this warm sunny day. I live just south of Nashua, New Hampshire in Lowell.

Mike

o

Hey, Mike!

Good morning, Amanda!

That Jade in the first photo, front-left, is a 'Gollum.' It was a small cutting that I rooted
in my garden. It seems to grow faster than my other 'Gollum' Jades. Here's another pic:

Photobucket

Josh

o

Thanks, Mike. Your photos made me smile - it's great to find another use-whatever-space-is-available rooftop gardener. Your plants are clearly thriving out there. I appreciate the advice on coloring them up, and I'll definitely try it. I may wait until next year, though. I just think they might burn if I put them out now. There's absolutely no shelter from the sun and wind. You live in a nice area. Cold, though! Good thing you've got houseplants during Merrimack Valley winters. :)

Josh, that is a beautiful plant. 'Gollum' may be my favorite jade (as long as I can have more than one favorite). That particular plant is just so appealing!

Amanda

o

Well, after killing a decades-old jade from my Mom about 20 years ago, I've been pretty leery & not tried a jade plant again. But, last year I adopted a soon-to-be-homeless jade & we've gotten along pretty well (read: I haven't killed it & it is growing nicely).

There are photos of so many beautiful jade plants on this thread!

Then THIS happened at the grocery store today:

From Crassula

HOW COULD I RESIST?! Of course, the tags were of no help.
This ended up being the result:

From Crassula

The big one in the center is the adoptee that I've had for a year & I will keep the 2 small plants flanking it. The pots on the lower steps will be given away... I think 1 double pot each for my Mom & Sister; 1 single will stay at this house share & I'm not sure where the last single will go.

From Crassula

GB

o

Oh my goodness!

All these plants are amazing and just perfect!

I am beginning to think I am drifting towards growing Bonsai and will go to class to keep mine small and healthy.

Please, keep these awesome pictures coming. I never realized so many loved or owned such small plants and in unique containers. I can't seem to even toss a leaf away without rooting it.lol

Mike:-)

o

Hello Everyone,

HI MIke,

Since i have a few of your babies .. I wanted to share the ones that you gave to me and also show some of the others that i have received from a generous person here on this forum. Please help me with identifying these for me..

You had said that one is a small leaf Hummel, and the other is a large leaf Hummel...Im not sure of the others...

I would love if you could help me with identifying them!!

They arent as big as the others posted here, but still they are precious to me because they came from friends that like to share and waned me to have some of their Jades..

Thank you Mike and others... : )

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Thanks for all of your help!!

I love seeing all of the great looking Jades!!

Josh, you have some beauties as well as Mike, TOO!

Marquest, i love all of yours... quite stunning!!!

Take care everyone!!!

Laura in VB

o

Beauties all Mike, very nice plants AND pix, you really do them justice in all your pix, hopeful & inspiring, not to mention downright handsome.

Are other kinds of Crassulas invited?

By sad little contrast (I'm a bit embarrassed to show this, but I'll be brave ...) the only Crassula I seem to be able to keep alive here in NYC, from Dr. J. Barad, Crassula Christina, going on 10 yrs. old if one can believe that, grows on a west window sill in NYC. Even has a little pup down on the surface of the mix, just out frame of this shot. I'm open to suggestions on how to perk this little fella up.

Crassula Christin/Barada

o

Another shot w/ the small offset visible

crassula christina/G Barad

o

Everyone's plants are doing fantastic!! What causes leaves to redden? Sun, cold, or both?
Not counting sunburn. lol.

Mike, you only have two south windows?? How do your plants over-winter so nice?

I still have more plants to haul in..sigh. Here are a few of my plants w/some red, 'not as much as plants posted here,' but red nonetheless.

Unknown Crassula started from leaf cutting.

Crassula..cutting10-11

Oranges

Succulents-10-16-11

Senecio

SenecioCrass10-16-11

Pony Tail, variegated
Ponytail,Var10-16-11

Musa Banana

MusaRuby10-16-11

Mistletoe Cactus 'epi'
MistletoeCac10-16-11

Klenia

Klenia-10-16-11

Impatiens

Impatients 10-11

E. nero variegata

Euphorbia Nero 10-16-11

Crassula, red undersides

Crassula10-16-11

C. sunset

Crassula.Sunset10-16-11

Spurge

Spurge10-15-11

C. Sunset w/yellow

C.Sunset10-15-11

C. Silver Plate

C.SilverPlate10-15-11

Aloe Goldtooth

Aloe 'gold-tooth' 10-12-11

Jades, variegated

JadeVar-7-12-11

Sorry, got carried away..lol..Too many more pics to download.
Again, everyone has some true beautys. Toni

o

Toni:Guess what plant I want?lolol

Oh your plants are so beautiful! Thank you for showing us a few. I was wondering what was taking you so long. Maybe bringing your plants in?lol

Your Klenia is so full! I can't wait until mine looks like that!

Love your unknown jade too!

Karen, of course they are invited. I have seen many of your Crassulas and they are all so beautiful. You certainly have a gift in these along with your Sans! Strong work and thanks for showing your beauties too.

Laura: I really miss those now that they are gone, but happy they are with you! I can already see the reacting very well to your sunshine! Oh they are looking so happy and I just knew they would.
Thank you for taking good care of them. Thank you!:-)
I do have to say the best part of all of this was having breakfast with you all:-)

Identify them? lol. I am the worst with keep track of what I own. I can tell you that they are Hummel, just smaller leaf and larger leaf ones.lol

Hey Gravy! Looking mighty fine there!

Josh, you know how I feel about your jades! You are the one that got me hooked with looking at yours. Ok, I am starting to feel good with this wine, gotta go.lol

Good night all

o

Well thanks anyway Mike, not sure what you meant by the following

"I have seen many of your Crassulas and they are all so beautiful."

I don't grow Crassulas other than the one I showed in this thread. Maybe you meant my Hoyas, or my Sans, or my ...?

o

Karen..Oops

Yup.It is the Hoyas and Sans I was referring too although that one succulent doesn't look that bad.
For some reason the painkillers had me thinking Sans were succulents at the time of posting.lol

I see them, the Sans and Hoya all the time and when I visit those forums, and I am amazed at your pics, especially the rooting process in water of all things..

Thanks again for sharing.

Mike

o

Well thanks, I'm an old timer (almost) at the Hoya Forum, was there when it was created. Hoyas tend not to bloom for me but I really enjoy their varied foliage (I have no outdoors to offer them.)

The Sans. Forum is a usually a very slow place & my water growing attempts started as an experiment (can't remember who suggested it). Next time you see a broken Sans. leaf, ask for it & then place it into some Leca stones & water & be amazed at the results.

o

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

• Posted by whip1 z5 ne Ohio (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 22, 11 at 4:54

My small collection.
Photobucket

Photobucket

o

The collection may be small now, but it's certainly growing! ;-0

Josh

o

Howdy,

Josh, forgot to mention, you're lucky living near a pottery..w/decent prices.
Someone nearby opened pottery shop. Problem is, nothing is under 50.00..lol..well, except for a decal which is 19.99. lol.

I figured your pots had drainage, but most they sell here that resemble yours are w/o drainage holes.

Mike, yep, problem is I'm still brining plants inside..lol. Those left are plants I can no longer life. My Jade weighs at least 30 lbs. I can slide it on the dolly, but lifting is the problem.

Whip, your small collection will grow in no time. Physically and by your own hand. :) Toni

PS. Mike, Sans are succulents.

o

Crassula Ovata "Gollum"
Climate: temperate, summers mild/wet, winters inside
This summer was the wettest ever recorded... thats why the leaves canopy isn't as thick as usual.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Scle..yours is the most beautiful Gollum I've ever seen!

I had no idea too much moisture caused leaves thinning, although your Gollum is very very full. Does the moisture thing apply to all Crassulas/Jades/succulents? Thanks, Toni

o

To: hopefullauthor
I have the idea the moisture halts the roots from working and eventually makes them rot. If this happens i take a long thin spike and prick a lot of holes in the soil to make it breath.
Notice i am talking about a lot of rain day after day and continuous wetness of the soil, while having temperatures below 20 celsius.
In sunny summer weather with temp above 30 Celsius i sometimes poor a bucket of water on it to get it soacking wet, because the soil tends to be bone dry, which is also bad for the roots. This plant loves water when its hot (and some Pokon in it even better)
The leaves usually are so thick that you cant look trough from top down, they form a closed "umbrella".
We have had the wettest summer ever recorded this year, also cool, which may have resulted in less leaves.

o

Beautiful 'Gollum'! I've only seen one similar in size and beauty.

Jades, being succulent, will shed leaves in an effort to reduce excess moisture.
If the soil holds a lot of moisture, indeed, fine roots will rot and leaves or branches
in the canopy that are no longer supported by roots will be discarded as a result.

Josh

o

Toni: Looks like you need to find a young man around the neighborhood that loves plants too.lol
That is exactly what my 80 year old neighbor did, She befriended me when I was just 12 and baked me lots of cookies in payment.

Whip: Very nice. Boy, by next year, you will never recognize them.Nice

Sclement! That is one plant I have never seen. Amazing and in just 13 years. It is greorgous!

Hey Josh!

Mike

o

Scl. Your summer sounds like ours..We had continuous heavy rain, day and night, a little over 3-weeks, not to mention cold temps.
Yep, I was aware the cold and constantly wet soil can cause root rot, but didn't know about thinner foliage. Interesting.

But, what options do we have other than bringing the plant back indoors? If sheltered, when/if there's sun, the shelter will obstruct plant.

Not familiar with Pokon...What is it? lol

Anyway, your Gollum is absolutely gorgeous. It must be heavy, right?

I have a plain, old C. Jade ovata started from a leaf cutting in the 90's. It weighs a ton. It needs work, but I have no idea where to begin. I'm afraid to cut roots for fear it'll die.
I'd like to remove one or more trunks to grow similar to yours. Here's a pic..Any ideas?

C. Jade

Josh, that's the problem. My Jade doesn't drop leaves. lol. A couple here and there, especially after bringing indoors, otherwise they remain.
I admit, the poor Jade hasn't been fertilized in two years, 'me bad,' nor has it been repotted. I've been looking for a wide, semi-shallow pot since it grows tall but wider, too. I'm lost. lol. Toni

o

Hey, Mike! ;-)

Toni, your Jade is jam-packed in that container! ;)
Just select your favorite trunk, remove it from the other trunks, and re-pot it on its own.
You can keep the others together, if you'd like (or until you want to separate them, too).

Cutting the roots won't hurt a thing, as long as you keep the cut roots dry until they've callused.
This time of year you can re-pot your Jades dry, and then wait a week or two until you water.
That should greatly reduce any risk of root-rot.

Josh

o

My wife's grandfather died and we were thru his house looking and in the cellar by a window I found a 8 in. stem of a jade plant in a old pot. No heat in the house for months (January) and was there since her grandmother died about 10 years earlier. Stump seems to be hard to the touch so we took it home and started watering it. To our surprise it started growing. My wife had something from her grandmother. Lasted about 5 years until our cat used it as a scratching post. By the time I noticed it, it was too late. Just like that we lost the whole plant. Couldn't ever start one of the tips. All rotted away. Knowing now that water was my worse enemy. Who knew? Now I know better. Through you might like a story. Stush

o

Hey Laura,

I know I sent you the 4th jade down (in your pics). That came from Mike. The other variegated jade I sent to you, I don't see...that also came from Mike. I sent you some with smaller leaves, I will have to double check the C and S forum to get that name. Other than that I sent you some Hummels. I Will be getting that package out to you this coming week....I will send you both of the jades from Germany and maybe I can snip off a small piece of that variegated jade from Mike.

Take care,
Andrew

o

Josh...I know..actually, the photo was taken 2009/2010. I don't have a newer picture that shows the entire plant.

However, the container it's in isn't much larger. I've been looking for the right size pot, but no luck. Shorter and wider.

So, I just cut into its roots? AWWWW! lol.
As for dry, I'm sure roots are like hay. It's mostly roots and trunks.

After cutting a section, do I then prune leaves? Thanks, Toni

o

Hello Everyone,

Hi Andrew,

Thanks so much for the info!!!

They are all doing well and I cant thank you enough!!

You were so kind to send me these cuttings when i first started my Jade collection. Its small but i love all of them because they have come from such wonderful people!!

Thank you Andrew and Mike for all of your generosity!! : )

I cant wait to see my Jades take off like others here...

Beautiful Pictures everyone!!!

Have a great night!!!

Laura in VB

o

Toni:

I agree with Josh. You could get several nice jades if you separated all the single stems in the pot. As for me, I prefer one stem per pot, to give the plant room to grow. But everyone has his or her own preferences.

sclement:

That is one amazing Gollum!

Christopher

o

Wow! am I ever glad I stopped by to check out this thread! I haven't been here in a while...glad I did. Some absolutely GORGEOUS Jades and Succulents you all posted!!

Thanks for sharing them...I truly enjoyed looking at each and every one of them!

o

Stush:

Do you have another plant at all, jade?

Mike;-)

Pug! It's so good to see you! I hope all is well. How have yours been anyway? A post without a picture of yours is not the same:-)

Laura; Aw, you are just as generous if not more! Thank you for what you do too!
Your jades will abound in all their glory with you taking them in.

Chris: I'll bet you miss the nice warm weather? lol
I wish we could just skip out on winter all together.
I have been a bit lazy about sending packages out, but going to get ready to do so coming up within the next couple of weeks.;-)

Mike

o

Hey Mike, I'll post some pictures "if" and "when" they get some winter color! Right now they are still all green, I'm still waiting for colder weather,lol...hopefully in 8 weeks I will have some pictures to share.

In the meantime, I can just enjoy and get envious of everyone's gorgeous Jades here.

Josh, I can't believe that little Jade is blooming for you again...SO exciting! I've never had a Jade bloom for me in FL in the almost 5 years I've been growing them. I've had succulents bloom before but NEVER a Jade! I'm beginning to think I'll ever get Jades to bloom for me :o(

o

Hey Mike:

Hope you have all your plants in now, with the SNOW we are having tonight! Can you believe it? Time for another trip to paradise, if only I could!

Christopher

o

Mike, I didn't see your response until tonight. Sorry about that. Didn't mean to ignore you. :)
About finding a young man...for plants. lol. Seriously, the only children around these days are two-years and under.
I honestly believe most teens sit at home playing video games. lol.
Even when it snows, very few kids come around asking if they can shovel. Mommy's and daddy's give their babies money for doing nothing. So, why work?

Hey Christopher. Haven't seen you around lately. Hope you'e well.
I too prefer one-trunk look. It'd also be a lot less weight.
I'm running out of soils/mediums. The remainer needs to be used in pots that were recently brought inside, for topping.

Howdy Pug. Bet you're happy you live where you do, hearing snow is in the air..lol. Toni

o

That's ok Toni! By the way, you are right about the help these days. I offered a kid in my neighborhood prime cash to care for my mom this winter and he said he was all set.

Thh regular ones I pay every year to shovel couldn't even offer a hand when they saw me hopping around on crutches all summer. They won't work for me again.

Chirs...Paradise? Yes about now! 4 inches of snow on the ground has just about pushed me over the edge this time.lol

Hey Pug! Mine didn't color up that well either. I was very disappointed this year, and then it gets too cold too soon to encouarge them to do so. They have to come in just to revert back to green, unless of course I cheat and stick them under lights.lol

Andrew! I never saw your post until now. So good to see you buddy! Please stick around:-)

Oh that is just ducky! I just saw the weather and now they are saying 6-8 inches for my area tomorrow.
Get the snow baord and shovels out, and throw the plants back into the house.

Mike

o

Hey everyone.

I only had time to post one more before this weekend. I hope you all like it. It is one of my Hummels I started from a cutting. I love this one.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

You really got to be quite the crassula (sp?) master this year, Mike. The experts have taught you well. Very, very nice plants and pictures.

Anyone: why are so many of you planting your crassulas in shallow pots more and more? Is it because you are bonsaiing them, or because they naturally have shallow roots, or what? Sorry, I cannot remember if this was ever discussed on here before.

Pat

o

Hay Mike, I purchased a varigatied Jade at Lowe's on clearance for 50 cents. It's doing great now. But am very sorry I lost all of my wife's grandmother's plant. It was where it came from more that any other factor. It was a common type you can pick up anywhere. My loss.
Stush

o

Hi, Pat!
I think there are several reasons for the shallow containers, which you mention.
Some of my Jades are certainly meant to give a bonsai impression, and the shallow containers
will reduce root-growth and further the "hard-grown," tight internode look. With other plants,
the shallow/small containers simply make for more room on the window-sills during the Winter.

The roots of my Jades grow throughout the container, and are quite long when unraveled.
Although these are traditionally thought of as shallow-rooted plants, I think that wet soils
are often to blame. The roots in the lower layers of soil will die and decompose, leaving only
the roots growing in the upper layers of soil; and, thus, giving the impression that the plant
has a very shallow root-system.

I do know this, though. If you want to grow a Jade large, you will need to use a larger container
(or allow for the roots to escape the container into the ground, raised bed, another pot, et cetera).

Josh

o

That is exactly what I want to do, Josh, grow a Jade large. Thank you very much for that response.
Pat

o

Toni: Hi, I am well, but have been so busy with certain other things, I am not on here as much as I was.

The plant you have listed as Klenia, looks a lot like my Euphorbia tirucalli 'Firesticks.' Are you sure of that ID?

I prefer one plant per pot always. When I bought my Skinny Fingers Jade last year, there were two plants in one pot. I put them in a pot of their own for several reasons. If I overwater or manage to kill one, I still have the other. If they had been in the same pot, both may have suffered the same fate. And I can experiment with soil types, locations, and pots, and see which one does better under different conditions. But that is just what I do, everyone must find what works best for their particular situation.

Mike! Nice Hummel's Sunset! That is one of the jades I don't have yet. Hope you have all your jades inside now, with the Nor'easter bearing down upon us for Saturday and Sunday! Now I am seriously contemplating a move to Florida next year, just can't tolerate these brutal winters anymore!

These are from another post of mine:

This one is getting some almost burgundy colouration, though it is hard to see in the photo.

And this one just seemed to fit my new bonsai pot so well.

Christopher

o

I don't have many jades, a couple common ones sold at box stores, a few Gollum, and a tricolor that I found yesterday. I re-potted it today so took a couple pictures. I would love to find some Hummels and more variegated ones, they aren't as easy to find in my area. All of the great pictures make me want more!
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Chris. I am still rooting some Hummels for you as we speak:-)
By the way, I love that jade in your first photo. What is that one called? Hope you enjoyed this horrendous winter storm.

Luv: looks like you have been doing some reading about gritty mixes:-)
Your plants are cute looking.

Mike

o

Hi all....here are a few pictures of my jades....

Photobucket

big pot of cuttings...

Photobucket

thanks for looking.....linda

o

Beautiful Linda! I am a bit partial to a couple you have there:-)

Now, what is that nice looking plant you left out of the bottom picture? It looks quite nice too. I LOVE the shapes of the ones in the back row on your table too:0)

Very nice and thank you. Everyone should have a few of these plants in their collection!

Mike

o

Mike, yes I have been reading a lot about gritty mix and doing a little experimenting also. Mostly with jades but also have a couple small hoyas planted in it. I want to see how they fair over the winter compared to a bagged mix that I found that is fast draining. Hopefully by spring I will have more experience with succulents and can start collecting ones that are less common. Great pictures everyone!
Tami

o

Mike, that's awful. Here they see you limping and don't offer to help! Spoiled brats.
When so many parents buy baby a brand-new, 2011 car, why help someone? That's how many think.

Pat, regarding your question. In part it's a matter of choice..I like both, big and bonsai-shaped.
Like Josh said, space is a big factor, too.
And, you know the old saying, 'money see, monkey do,' lol, j/k.

Christopher, I love your first Crassula. What type? Wow.

Yep, it's a Klenia. lol. I've had it a number of years.
Tirucalli has narrow foliage from top to bottom.

FireSticks9-09

E.Firestick-11-10

Second Firestick was a bonus gift from a purchase.

Klenia

HotDog3-23-09

Christopher..look at the right side. The hot dogs/cucumbers start out thick, then thin towards the top and produce leaves.
This pic was taken in 2009, thought I had an older pic, when it was still a baby.

Cucumber Suc, Klenia

I should take a new pic w/the bottom and tops showing. It's hard to describe. lol

o

Hey Mike:

Thanks, buddy!...Oh, that little jade is 'Rubra', smaller than it looks in the photo, though the leaves look like they are bigger that the compact jade, from a cutting from a kind forum member...

So how did you make out with the snow? Here I just basically stayed inside for the duration.

Toni:

So that plant is a Kleinia, and not E. tirucalli...I see it now, of course, that you have pointed it out to me...

How much snow did your neck of the woods receive?

Christopher

o

Christopher. It can be confusing. After looking at the pics, I started doubting, too. lol.

Thankfully, no snow, yet, but lots of rain. Cold rain, and strong, frigid winds.
I hope it doesn't snow until Thanksgiving or even Christmas. It's too soon..
I hope Halloween Day is nice and warm, w/o rain, for the kiddies to go Trick-or-Treating.

How much snow did you get? Toni

o

Hi Toni,

Here I think we got 6 to 8 inches of heavy wet snow, lost my cable and internet for several hours. Out in the western part of New Hampshire, one town got over 30 inches. My town and several others around here either postponed or outright cancelled Halloween. I feel bad for the kids.

Christopher

o

Christopher...I too feel bad for the kids who counted on trick-or-treating..but I feel sorrier for families without electric.

I turned on TWC and couldn't believe how much snow eastern states got. I can't recall the number of people w/o electric, but it was huge.

It's time like now, we wish we were living in warmer climates, for reasons other than our plants. :)

Hope the snow melts..What happened to Global Warming? Toni

o

Well Toni,

I can't see the diff btwn the Kleinia & the E. tirucalli (firesticks?)

Do you know that last pic you posted, the 4 sided succulent, is that what you're calling a cucumber? If you don't already know this it's a Cissus Quadrangularis (aka Veldt grape, from S. Africa).

A bizarre & interesting plant. I grew one for a few years, then one summer, one of those segments grew 14" in one summer & that was rather much for me. I got scared about the potential size of the thing & gave it away, cool plant tho'.

o

Karen...here we go again. lol

Here's the site I bought Kleinia. In fact, pics 1, 3, and 5 came from the same nursery.

http://www.worldplants.com/Kindex.htm

I have a small C. Quadrangularis, somewhere around. I grow it as a bonsai though. Leaves differ.

They do look alike.. I Googled both, and both plants look similar...

o

Linda! That white jade at the right of your first photo (of the 10/30 post)... it's so unusual - is it an aberration of the variegation or is it a separate plant?! I have never seen anything like that.

GB

o

wow such lovely Jades(and other plants). I didnt know this thread was even here..I will add some of my Jades now also, glad to join the fun..thanks mike for inviting me to this forum.

o

GB:

Believe it or not, that beautiful jade Linda has is a cutting from this tree I sent her a while back. It loves her care I would say:-)
Photobucket

Photobucket

Mary! Welcome! Yes, we can't wait to see some of your pics. Bring it on will you?:-)

Chris: We are still paying a heavy price for this storm. Halloween is Sunday night now. I never saw that before. Glad you are ok.

Mike

o

HI......and yes GB that is a cutting from Mikes beautiful jade......I hope someday my jade is as good looking and big as Mikes....
hopefulauthor, you posted a picture of a jade earlier in this thread and you called it ....sunset w/yellow
I really like that one....would it be possible to get a cutting (am hoping you might have another plant) or where did you get it???? am willing to trade, yo can see in my post what I have.....linda

o

Paul: E-mail me. I think I might be able to help you:-)

Dropped you an email, Mike. ;)

Here is my lone contribution to this jade thread.

Photobucket

o

Toni:

Most of the snow is gone now, we had some warmer sunny days which helped. But some people were without power for several days.

Mike:

Yes, Halloween is Sunday night in my town, too. Let's just hope that snowstorm was a freak thing, and not a sign of things to come. Either way, honestly, I think this will be my last winter in such an inhospitable climate!

Christopher

o

My Goodness, this thread grew........ lol

It's nice hearing people are proud of their plants. It doesn't matter what size Jades or other succulents/tropicals are..health is most important.

GW is an escape from today's news. From all that is going on these days. It surely helps..Well, it helps me.

Reading posts, looking at others' pictures...a happy escape from reality.

Linda, I got the Yellow Sunset Jade last April from JadePoint Succulents.
Due to flooding, JadePoint is closed.

I can give you a small cutting...should we wait until spring?

Christopher...how did Belated Halloween Party's work out? Toni

o

Hi hopefulauthor I sent you a e-mail.....linda

o

Hi Paul: I never got an e-mail from you. Very nice jade by the way:-)

Hi Chris! Can you believe the Halloween decorations are still in full gear and the temps will be warmer tomorrow night than last week?lol
I am about to pack up and leave for a place where palms trees live peacefully.lol

Toni and Linda: Hello!

o

Toni: Don't know about Halloween Parties, just know the Trick or Treat is Sunday night. Don't know why not Saturday night...

Hey Mike: Yes, this has to be the craziest Halloween ever. And save me a seat on the plane, I'll meet you in the tropics!

Christopher

o

"Hi Paul: I never got an e-mail from you. "

Hmm, how odd. Well I tried again -- emailed it through GW.

Thanks for the compliment, Mike! Though it has nothing on most, if not all, of the jades you and others have posted.

o

As this plants are a little bit a pride for me, i post some more pics of them, made in the years 2008-2011

A picture of both my Ovata's indoors during winter 2010. They seem exceptionally green at the time. The small one in front started as a small twig fallen off the big one, about 4 years before. You can see i placed the big one on a trolley to be able to move it. In spring i repotted it to the wooden tub which i fitted with wheels.
Photobucket

About the same time, now the large one standing alone on its trolley. You can see the bowl-shaped pot it has, being already to small compared to the plant. I bought this bowl 2 years earlier for about 40 euro's to give it its definitive container, but it outgrew it rather quick.
Photobucket

Here the plant outside in the same bowl, late summer before last pictures. When repotting it turned out the roots at the bottom had not developed well because the soil was to wet. Hence the beautifull moss which i very much liked. (also caused by intensive fertilising)
As soil i used a mixture of about 40% clay, 40% peat, and 20% sand + gypsum, mixed well. This dense soil gave it a firm base, but does poor drainage. When i repotted it last year i filled the tub with peat soil only, on the bottom mixed with fertiliser pellets.
Photobucket

Some close-ups from the impressive trunks:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here a recent picture of the large plant in its tub (November 2011). Frost has been very slight until now (-1 / -2 celsius) so it survived under blankets at night. Thanks to a record-dry November it has grown a lot of new loots this month. I hope it will stay above 0 for some time, because i dont really like to share my house with it longer then needed.

Photobucket

leaves

Photobucket

It looks giant like this. Btw i have recently been to a pinetum and took some sequoia giganteum seeds with me. They still dont do a thing... tips anyone?

Photobucket

The last picture, which shows both Ovata's in my pretty small and shaggy garden. A mammoth tree can fit right in

Photobucket

o

My goodness! Where are you from, Asia or some where much warmer than here in Massachusetts? Your plants are amazing and remarkably healthy. Do they flower for you? I noticed you said you keep them in cold temps.

How long have you had some of those? Truly too big for my windows.lol. No wonder many keep them in the Bonsai size, since they can get quite huge if well cared for and happy.

o

Im from the netherlands. This winter is just one for us with this mild temperatures, as often in this country. Frost will kick in during December most of the time.

But the plants dont flower. I think our winters are to cold and to wet. Or my inside climate and lighting is not right. I wish i had a greenhouse!

The biggest 1 i got as a gift in 2002, then aged about 3-4 years. So it must be 12-13 years now. The small one is aged about 5 years.
I do not really care for them. I just put them outside, give them a well-sized container and some fertilizer in summer. In winter prevent them from freezing. For the rest there is hardly any care involved.. its such an easy plant!

But indeed, they grow tall outside. Their growing speed surprised me, and now i'm wondering what the limit of their growth will be. (they are getting hard to handle)

o

HI.....sclement...what huge jades...they are so cool...
thanks for posting the pictures....linda

o

Sat, Dec 3, 11 at 8:20

Sclement,
The Jade in the wooden tub is incredible! I've seen Jades around here that were supposed to be twice as old as yours and not look as good! Maybe I should stop pampering my jades?

o

Hello, Jade admirers!
Sclement, you have a lovely pair of Jades!
They look to be 'Skinny Fingers' from here.
Wonderful.

Josh

o
Red-Headed Jade

Oh, my goodness, I wish I had a piece of this clone, but it'll wait to my trip to the RSA.

http://crassulaceae.net/forum/uploads/1404_b0001237-1resized.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: The Jade is Tight With Colour

o

Now Jeff!

I have that jade, just without the color until the spring. I got it from a special friend that couldn't care for it anymore who actually owned a nursery. Mine looked just like that when it arrived.

If you would like a cutting of one like that, e-mail me privately:-)

Mike

o

Sat, Dec 3, 11 at 18:40

Jeff,
That is an incredible jade! The color is amazing!

o

Sclement..your Jades are huge and beutiful. When it's cold, how on earth do you bring them in the house?

Howdy All..Toni

o

Gorgeous jades, Sclement!

o

Gorgeous jades, Sclement!

o

Sclement,

Thanks for showing us some Dutch jades. I really like the trunk shots.

Photobucket

I bet as soon as you get a greenhouse for them they'll be flowering for you in December. They're certainly old enough.

Mike,

Thank you - I just might do that!

And here's what I hear called 'Lemon 'n' Lime' in Europe - I finally got around to making some cuttings.

Photobucket

o

Nice ones, Jeff!

I am curious about your Jade. It is subspecies obliqua, but I don't know if there's more to it.
If you would be so kind, click the following and have a look at the first image posted. That is
my Crassula ovata obliqua (green form), which still shows some variegation regardless.

Do your plants have enough trunk to compare? The trunk on mine is very, very distinct,
with pale internodes and rough, hairy nodes.

Crassula ovata ssp. obliqua (re-potted)

Josh

o

Nice ones is certainly right Jeff !

I love how shiny and pointed the leaves are. I think I tried to e-bay one like that a while back, the world e-bay of course, and that was a joke. Trying to get anything here from those places is always impossible.

I will remember you come the spring, promise.

Josh!

Wouldn't you just love to take a walk among those plants, right? It's amazing how big they can get. I wish I had one that big, but then where could I put it? I have a huge one at work, but not with reptile skin that looks like that. It's beautiful on the rough side.

Howdy Paul, Whip and Toni! Enjoy your day

o

Sclement!

I am still admiring your plants! What I can't believe too is that you got them that big in POTS of all things!

Marvelous and if only I could grow one that big, lift it, and have the room for it. I am very surprised they have never flowered. I wonder really why? Nice.

Mike

o

Mike,
I do not lift them any more. There are small wheels on the bottom of the large wooden tub, so i push it over a kind of plank into my living room.
The weather is still very rainy and 0-10 degrees celsius, so i keep them outside. This are however not the best conditions for flowering. I believe they like a meditteranean summer: mild temps and dry. (The summer on the other hand they like hot and wet).
I am experimenting now with wrapping the big plant into a transparant foil, which keeps the heavy rain outside. The winds however play with it... I think i'm trying bubble foil, wrap it in, with some sticks as a support inside. In this way it will be some kind of greenhouse tent, so i can further delay the moment i have to place it inside.
Together with some blankets and a hot jar of water it might come trough some freezing nights...

o

Hello Everyone,

Sclement,

Im so impressed with your Jades.. They are so beautiful!

The trunk is very unique, never seen a Jade that size before. Goodness...its a beauty!!! I can understand why you dont lift... You would need a couple of extra hands to help you with those massive containers!!!

Merry Christmas to all...

Nice thread, Mike!! : )

Laura

o

New Sprouts!

Until now this winter has been without any cold in the netherlands... the jades are still outside.
Temperatures have been just about freezing for 6 weeks.
It was pretty wet however.

Now look how my jade reacts. It really loves this conditions! It has sprouts all over... Small bright green leaves quickly followed by more, forming "little hands" that are quickly growing to new branches. Many of them form on old marks were branches fell off in summer.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I like this 2 small ferns. They must be about 3 years old now, but growing very slow. I think they like the clay.

Photobucket

MERRY GREEN CHRISTMAS EVERYONE !

Photobucket

o

No pics to post, and just joined tonight so I could ask Josh to walk me through a few things..
Have been reading you folks for months.. learning alot!

Thanks.. Charlie

o

Just got finished reading this thread. Mike, that storm really hit us hard last year. I live outside of Springfield, MA. My town also got knocked with a tornado last year too. Crazy. I run a daycare. Thank God for the generator. I was going crazy not having power for almost 2 weeks on both occasions.

My jades are starting to put on a little growth right now. I don't have anything really exciting to show. They're going outside next summer, so hopefully they'll show some nice color come fall.

o

I don't have any Jades right now, but I did just finish scoping out all the cool photos and doing a bit of reading... and then I got to Emerald's photos, and I didn't know anyone but myself still had one of those three legged wooden bucket style planters... and it made me smile!

Mine was my Mother's, before she passed away... and I usually use it to over-winter an ungainly pot of Tulbaghia, more commonly known as "Society Garlic", an ornamental.

Good advice, Josh... I would agree with your views on why Jades are thought to have shallow root systems... and, I've enjoyed the very nice pictures from everyone!

o

This thread is one of the reasons I got one.

o

Purple, that is one healthy plant!

Jodi, my mom and I go to antiques auctions all the time. We see many of those. I think many are from estates.

o

Thanks! Looks like it really liked being out in the sun this summer. Plain green when I got it this spring.

o

This sure was a fun Thread to re-visit!
I never grow tired of Jades...and more varieties every year it seems.
Thanks, Jodi, for taking the time to read through and comment. With a proper mix,
I find the so-called shallow or fine-rooted plants can have quite extensive roots.

Here's a Jade from Mike, which was discovered by Glen as a leaf propagation
from a Crassula ovata. Glen has named this one Crassula ovata 'Denethor.' It has ridged,
crazy shaped leaves, and it is also known to bloom reliably. Not the best pic, but you get the idea ;-)

This post was edited by greenman28 on Mon, Dec 17, 12 at 13:45

o

Nifty, Josh! I like it! You really must get great light to grow and bloom such nice plants! The light here is much weaker during certain times throughout the year, and it shows in my growing. I have definitely found that the medium I use allows for much more evenly spread root growth down inside the containers. Except for that one orchid, the roots don't come toward the surface or circle the walls, anymore. It's really a neat concept!

I may have seen the same three legged planter at a garage sale or two over the years, but they weren't in such great condition. Yours appears to be very nice, Laura... mine has a wobbly leg or two from age, I think. It just made me smile to see another one!

Yes, lovely Jades, everyone! I do believe I killed my last one with kindness.

o

i've been trying to grow mine as trees with single trunk. this one i grew from 6" cutting. it's about 7-8 years old. it has the most pretty trunk. now it's 2' from the pot and quite heavy. i just repotted it last year into a larger pot. i found that if i keep them really dry for a year or so and in tiny pot, they really swell the trunk up nicely in 3 years. most of my jades are from 1 tiny mother plant 6" tall that i got some 20 years back. they just multiply after each pruning like wabbits.

o

any help with those black margins? maybe it is sunburn? i noticed those margins on many fotos above!

o

No, it's not sunburn (it's on the underside of the leaves). Variegates tend to get dried, ugly leaf margins.
You mentioned that you use "sandy soil" for these, which really is unsuitable for succulents - and most other
plants, too. I can't diagnose from here, especially with so little information to go on - such as when you got
the plant, how you water, et cetera.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here