Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thai Basil - Growing indoors, leaves have small black dots on

Posted by chrisjohn London (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 8:49

I have been growing about 10 Thai Basil plants indoors for about 2 months now and they started off fine with no problems, now all of a sudden they look very unwell and have small black dots on the leaves, it seems to be killing the leaves slowly. I have a photo. If anyone knows what has happened or can help at all it would be greatly appreciated as I use these plants for cooking as it is hard to buy them in the UK. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thai Basil - Growing indoors, leaves have small black dots on

In another post,Rhizo had an answer to a similar(the same?)problem.

Hope this helps! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: link to post

o

The problem in the other post is leafminers. The problem here is different.

The whitish areas on the leaf to the left appear to be collapsed tissue. Could have occurred due to a water shortage -- possibly hot weather? very low humidity?

If that's true, the small black lesions could be a secondary infection, especially if the plants are now in a more humid environment.

o

chrisjohn - your basil has spider mites. I'd chuck it out, I'm afraid. It is really hard to keep basil going indoors over here in the winter. There is just too little light for it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spider mites

o

Definitely spidermites

o

Thanks very much, I think it is Spidermites. I have taken all the infected leaves off, which is about 90% now as I have left it too late and I have sprayed it with Neem oil. Will probably have to grow another batch and keep a look out. It did seem to start when Autumn start.

o

chrisjohn - did you find a Neem oil product over here for gardening use? I didn't think it was approved here for that use and have never seen it on sale in garden centres. Or did you get it from a health food shop? If so how did you mix it up and what strength did you use? If you used it neat you may have finished your plant off.

o

chrisjohn - did you find a Neem oil product over here for gardening use? I didn't think it was approved here for that use and have never seen it on sale in garden centres. Or did you get it from a health food shop? If so how did you mix it up and what strength did you use? If you used it neat you may have finished your plant off.

o

I got the Neem oil from amazon, just the oil then mixed about 2-5% with warm water and a little soap. I found the recepie online, it seems to have halted their progress with the last remaining large plant looking OK

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here