Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are these things on my Potho?

Posted by tifflj 6 Pitts, PA (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 9:00

Hello All. Figured I would leave you all with a few threads before my trip... ;)

What are these brown thingys sticking out of the stem on my Pothos. What purpose do they serve?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are these things on my Potho?

• Posted by tifflj 6 Pitts, PA (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 9:04

Whoops, forgot the pic in the first post. DUH !

o

Ariel roots. These plants are jungle plants, usually living on trees, not in soil so they need to cling on and also get water and nutrients through them.

o

Yep ariel roots, they can cling to something. I dont have my pothos growing up anything. Its just hanging in the breeze.

o

If those touch soil, they will burrow, lengthen, soften, transform into "real roots." Many viney type plants do this, such as Philo, Syngonium, various Tradescantias and Callisias. And some "stemmy" plants can send out roots "from the air" near the base of the stem like Coleus, Dief, tomato, going brain-dead for more examples for some reason... but you get the idea.

When I want to propagate a piece of Pothos, I have the best results if I let a couple of those aerial roots (with corresponding leaves removed) soak in water for about a week, until they start to turn white and hairy-looking. Then they take-off when put in soil. I do Philos the same way, but a Trad or Callisia usually does best for me by going straight into soil.

o

Thats a good way of doing it. HA I learn something new every day. I usually just stick the ends in water. Not always successfully.

o

Classic example is Ivy. Also virginia creeper!

o

Aerial roots are also called 'adventitious' roots. Adventitious roots appear where we might not expect them....such as along the stem. These roots typically emerge at the nodes, which is clearly illustrated by tiff's picture.

Those stem nodes are where lateral buds and adventitious roots emerge. It's very important to remember that when trying to root a cutting. I'm pretty sure that lots of stem cuttings are lost because people try to root at the internode.

o

Agreed. I don't bother with pieces with less than 2 nodes to devote to roots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here