Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Perfect Office Plant

Posted by bernadette_gourder 5 from Newaygo, MI (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 13, 10 at 9:03

Hi!

I am trying to find the perfect maintenance free and allergy free office plant that blooms. I am looking into miniature roses, begonias, and impatiens. What do you think? And where can I get one that is already potted (it's for a gift)?

Thank you for any help! :)
Bernadette

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Perfect Office Plant

What sort of light conditions are present in this office?

And you certainly don't mean 'maintenance FREE', do you? ;-)

o

Hi! I am not sure what lighting there is. She hasn't gotten the job yet. But I assume the worst conditions really so I am leaning more toward begonia/impatiens. A rose is gorgeous and known to be allergy free and much easier to find (like from proflowers or 1800flowers than the other) so that's why I am thinking of them as an option.

I know there is no real maintenance free plant. haha The easiest flowering plant to take care of is probably better put. :)

Let me know if have any suggestions on what kind and where to get it!

o

IMO, a miniature rose would be the worst choice. Indoors I think it is difficult to keep them happy. They are spider mite prone also.
There are lots of plants that do well in office conditions, but if it really has to be a flowering plant, I think Christmas cactus might be a good choice. They seem to be undemanding to me, anyways.
BTW, even plastic plants aren't maintenance free - they need to be dusted or they look awful.

o

Honestly? Just my humble opinion here but since you're not sure what the light conditions will be plus realize plants don't bloom forever...there will be a time when any plant is just sitting there...and still need maintenance.

I'd have been thrilled when I worked in an office to get one of those gifts of cut flowers that can be set up to be delivered monthly. This way there would always be something blooming, hopefully even a wonderful fragrance, maybe exotic, the light conditions wouldn't matter, and it's about as maintenance free except for a little water, as possible. Flowers and no work for the recipient :)

o

bernadette, it might be a real challenge to find a flowering plant that will thrive or even survive in typical office conditions. If there were such plants, you'd see them every where. Roses, no...impatiens, no. There are some types of begonias that will produce flowers inside, but the lighting requirements might be tough to accommodate in an office.

Why not, instead, provide a plant with pretty foliage or an interesting form? Then, you would not have to worry about allergy problems (cut flowers are a no no for allergy sufferers) at all!

Find out what the light conditions are and get back to us. We can help you with a good list of possible plants if we have more information.

o

Thanks for your suggestions . . . by the time I know what kind of office conditions it will be after her birthday. Wish I thought of this gift sooner! Well, anyway. I do plan to give her a non stop begonia. I have had one inside for over a decade and still is looking beautiful. So, that will be my gift to her, but I may want to get her another plant when I do know exactly where she will be working. I'll let you know when the time comes. Thanks again!

o

Begonia sempervirens...a good choice.

o

I've had some really good experiences with Spathiphyllum (Peace Lily) in my office (they are standing near the window though). They are easy to keep and produce white lily-like flowers. They do require a good amount of water. From what I've read, they don't need too much sunlight but - again - mine were standing near the windows, so I can't say if they will thrive in other environments. I don't know if they cause any allergies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Good Office Plants

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here