Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petuniabegonia

plant store ideas

petuniabegonia
9 years ago

Hi everyone! I am thinking about opening a small shop where I would sell a small variety of house plants in unique containers/vintage pieces, etc. along with my art, which is plant-based painted wood wall sculptures & paintings, etc. There aren't any plant stores in this area, & this has been a dream of mine forever. I would love to hear your thoughts, suggestions, pros/cons...

Thanks!

Comments (18)

• christine1950
    9 years ago

I think the main reason there arent more small shops is because they cant compete with the $$ of the larger stores that can buy in bulk. I'll be looking forward to seeing what others have to say. I think your idea is great, I wish there was a small unique plant shop by me.
    Christine

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

I'd be curious to know what "small variety" of plants you'd have in mind to offer.

Do you have a list yet?

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Could you offer some 'sample' photos?
    (If you don't mind posting...)

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Don't put any money into this without specific information showing it is viable in the market you want to serve.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Before moving to AL, I had a sales job in OH and one of my customer categories was mom'n'pop garden/plant stores. OH has a *LOT* of stores that sell plants, though I never saw one that was only offering house plants (as far as their selection of plants, regardless of other items.)

How will you combat the seasonal nature of plant sales? I never went looking for house plants during cold weather.

If you don't have reasonable expectations about the artwork being your primary moneymaker, I would be very nervous about this. Are there enough people in the area with the cash and interest to support this? Have you given any thought to doing consignments with other artists?

Please don't make the mistake I've seen so many mom'n'pop stores make - not being open when people who have jobs can shop. If you keep bankers' hours, not even the bankers are available to shop.

What about internet sales for art & plants? Both very common these days, and no limitation of locals being the only potential customers. No rent expense (or worrying about open hours) like a storefront.

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Would have to pay an up front fee for space at a home and garden shows the bigger crowd does come to the show and would see you as well.

Most any or all plant or horticultural clubs also have annual shows these shows may also provide to it's members tables for plants, pots soil for plants and yes even art work as long as they are plant related.
    Varies from garden club to club membership rules may not include metting attendance.
    Your plant and plant related art or prints sales would require a small percentage of your sales An honor system per say Clubs may also ask for a plant donation(s) to the club for auction sales to you this is also an option.
    Print out or pay for business cards with your soon to come (Might not be able to post on GW VIA TOS.) Webb site on them
    Church and community yard sales. There are several ways for you to find the( Hmmmm) crowd that's already going to show up.
    Critique:
    Small problem with "unique" pots: There are so darn many pots that are already unique that it may cause some conversation to upraises but they too would help boost cost and allow for more profit """" IF """' you can for fill both plant and pot's attraction to the customer Keep in mind unique pots often command or at very least warrant a unique plant as well.
    Worse thing to happen the customer is already a plant freak, the plant in a unique pot that was sold as " art" by you becomes someone else's " art".

Good luck to you on your venture

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Another curiosity if I may,..are the unique pots thrown,poured,or hand built? terracotta,stoneware,porcelain?

• summersunlight
    9 years ago

This seems to me like it would be better suited to ebay or etsy rather than a brick and mortar store. I think selling online would allow you to reach a larger audience of potential customers for something that is a bit of a "niche" interest, AND it would greatly reduce your overhead costs.

I think you would also improve the chances of success if you could find a source for unique plants rather than just the same kinds of plants that Home Depot and Lowe's sell. For example, those of us who are serious about collecting plants would be much more likely to pay a little extra for a plant than someone who sees one plant as the same as another.
    A small business can't compete with the low prices that mega stores like Home Depot and Lowe's can sell common plants for. That's why I think you would do better trying to appeal to people who are serious plant lovers with plants they can't find at the big box stores.

For example, look at the catalog of Glasshouse Works. They have a lot of really unusual plants that you can't buy ANYWHERE else, and that's why they can get away with charging a lot more for them.

This post was edited by summersunshine on Thu, Oct 23, 14 at 19:18

• petuniabegonia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for your input. I will definitely give it some thought. To Christine1950-Thank You!.

• petuniabegonia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

More plant-based art.

• petuniabegonia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

more...

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

I could totally see an art opening after securing gallery space. A little wine a little cheese...

Really like the wall hangings. Monkey seed especially so far,and the space you have it exhibited in is choice...really sets it off! =)

• petuniabegonia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks....thinking it'll be more of an art shop with plants too.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

If you can get the attention of people with money, you should definitely sell some art - I love it! TY for sharing some pics of it. Best vibes for your endeavor!

• MsGreenFinger GW
    9 years ago

Combine art and plants with coffee (and cakes) shop and you will definitely have income all year round.

• christine1950
    9 years ago

I love your art, its so unique. With items as unique as you've shown I think you'll do very well..
    Christine

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Certainly a nice twist. Unique & very creative.

Frogs ?

• petuniabegonia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for your feedback! I'm in the process of looking at a potential storefront-lots of room, high ceilings, & a big south-facing window! (VERY important here in Ohio). It's located in my hometown, which is small & rather "backward," but the rent is cheap & there are signs of a resurgence - little shops popping up, renovations, etc. so I'm going to spend the next few months focusing my energies on making inventory/sprucing-up the space & earning some extra $ painting (houses) before I open my doors. My goal is to make it a "destination" shop, offering not only my wares, but an "experience." I'm open to any/all ideas you may have about marketing, etc.

I really like the coffee/cake idea...
    That last piece does kinda look like frogs...ribbit! It's loosely based on sedum.

Thanks!