Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tifflj_gw

Parlor Palm and Scheff

tifflj
11 years ago

Well It looks like the parlor palm isnt going to survive the repot. I had two clumps of plants which I planted into two different pots hoping they would do better and they are not. Every few days there is another dying frond. I wish I would have left it as it was with both clumps in the same pot. It was doing fine and I shouldnt have messed with it. I am bummed.

Scheff, wth. It is losing stems often as well. He is my oldest plant and I have never had issues with him till the repot. Dangit. It has never lost leaves and stems like this. I dont know what to do as I dont want to lose h im too.

Other than that, everyone else is doing good. Even the arrowhead that I was having problems with. It seems 3 of the stems ate growing vines, or whatever the proper terms are... I dont know. I am just really ticked about these two plants.

Comments (14)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

I suggested that so you're probably upset with me. I feel terrible. Can you post some pics?

• tifflj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Definitely not upset with you. It was a great suggestion and I was excited to split the plant and share with my dear friend. It is probably something I did as an inexpereinced plant person.

Here is the parlor palm before...

• tifflj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the plam after. Jake, my toddler wanted his Teddy in the pic, sorry.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

How long since you did the repot?

• rachelthepoet
    11 years ago

Tiff:

My parlor palm didn't even make it to the repot stage, since its roots were bad bad bad! Even making it this far is an accomplishment!

Everyone keeps reminding us that there is an adjustment period. I have two dracaena sanderiana in the SAME POT. (They are friends and I couldn't bear to separate them!) Since repotting into the 5-1-1, one of them has new growth and seems really happy. The other one is turning brown, so I'm considering removing it. Sometimes plants like things and other times, they don't.

Also, my jades have lost a few leaves. But the top/remaining ones look healthy, so I'm not worried about them.

Sending positive plant vibes your parlor palm's way and your sheff's way! It's still early. Be patient!

Remember, if one plant doesn't make it, it leaves room for a new one!

-Rachel

• tifflj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Repot was Sept 29th/30th. ( I did it at midnight cause of the kiddos being up during the day).

Thank you Rachel for the kind words and positive vibes!!

Seeing the before and after pictures makes me really sad though.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Tiff, why did you seperate plants? Your Palm looked great in the before picture...More compact.

Also, I KNOW you're going to end up with quite a few plants in the future, lol...Dividing means duplicate plants. Toni

• tifflj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Toni I seperated it because honestly it was suggested. ;)
    Which was fine, I wanted to do so anyway because my friend liked the plant and was looking to have one. So I was excited to share what I had so soon in my plant adventures. I also thought the plant would do better seperated...since it had so much shorter fronds. i figured they needed to breath.

It is my fault. I heard they dont like their roots messed with and I did just that. It just does make me sad because it was so full and pretty and it was a plant from the Aunt Julie Basket.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Palms are funny about having their roots disturbed
    . Sometimes they're fine, other times they sulk. I risked it with my dypsis and it scraped thru. But another palm didnt like it. Theres no knowing how itll go really.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Toni, it was my idea. I've been quite rough with all sizes of these before when repotting, just pulling the roots apart from separate plants, and haven't had any trouble with them. Can't say for sure what went wrong with these but I feel responsible and sad. Tiff has agreed to let me ease her pain and my conscience with a care package. Still send her plant(s) good vibes!!!

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Ooops..Sorry about that.

Purple isn't your fault though...like Larry said, Palms are funny when roots are disturbed..
    However they need repotting when roots fill a pot.

Tiff, didn't you change soils/mediums? Maybe it's a matter of getting used to watering???? Also, time for plants to adapt to their new homes.

• tifflj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

PurpleTiff. Please, please...you are not responsible in any way. The roots also could have been going bad with that soil I originally had them in and me stirring the pot so to speak was the icing on the cake for Bella.

Its ok. I learned alot from this repot and the condition of this Bella.

At least my peace lily is ok. She is most important.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hi Tiff,

Sorry for plant ailing, unfortunately, that does sometimes happen.

I'm late to the conversation, but those 2 newer, smaller pots appear to be of the self-watering type. Is that correct? Not sure if that's a good idea might; keep the plants too moist (I don't grow palms).

If they are self-watering pots, was the original pot as well? If not, that COULD be the difference. (The newer pots keeping them wetter than the older pot.)

We don't generally recommend self-watering pots, best to water when WE want & keep control of that ourselves.

Are the plants at that spot just for the pic? If not, could that vent be bringing it heat or AC? Curious.

• tifflj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pirate Girl, yes they are self watering but I do not use them in that wa. My stores are clearancing out pots and that was al that was left for me to buy for now. I just use the tray at the bottom to catch the extra water that I then dump out. I dont believe in self watering...persay.

Yes, the plantsare there just for the pic. I wouldnt ever stick any plant in front of an air vent.

Either the roots were bad or I slipped up somewhere. Lesson learned. Ya win and ya lose some I guess...