Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wandering jew curling

Posted by firstimegardener zone 3 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 20, 08 at 9:41

quick question, I have had a purple heart wandering jew for about a year now,I keep it in a south facing window and water it regularly, and mist it daily, the same thing I have been doing for the last year, my question is over about the last month the leaves have started curling up on me, at first I thought I had some creepy crawlies but I thoroughly checked the plant itself and the soil and couldn't find any. anyone have any ideas why she is doing this or what I can do to get her to open back up? any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wandering jew curling

My only guess if the plant doesn't have bugs is possibly it is getting too much sunlight. I have mine in a west window. You could do a search on the forum, there is a lot of information here.

o

firstimegardener, just to make sure that we are all talking about the same plant, check out the attached image to see if it matches what you are talking about. Sometimes, common names can cause confusion.

If it IS what you have, you should know that it grows in the full blazing sun, even here in the sunny south. The lack of sun might be the issue.

Here is a link that might be useful: Purple heart

o

ok so thats not what I have the one that I have has green on the tops of the leaves and the undersides are purple. I would take a pic, but my wonderful new puppy decided that the camera would make a marvelous chew toy. any tips rhizo? sorry about the confusion

o

the wandering jew with the green stripes on the top with purple on the bottom of the leaf is a shade plant and should not have any more that 4 hours of direct sun.

o

Really? A shade plant?
I grew my Wandering Jew outside on the back deck all summer....and, in warmer zones, I've heard of folks growing them outdoors year-round...
I thought the sun kept the growth super-compact, tight, erect, and bright purple!
Now that the peak growth season is past, the vines are leggy (etoliated), the leaves have reduced in size, and the green coloration is gradually becoming more prominent.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here