Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

volunteer palm seedling

I noticed this about 10 days ago. I'm guessing this came from a seed from my parlor palm, although I don't remember it flowering this year. When it has flowered in the past, I never thought the seeds were any good. It makes little green balls that turn orange and I've always just cut them off when the little orange balls start falling off. I didn't think they were viable seeds and could probably never produce a sprout if I was *trying*.

{{gwi:105690}}

{{gwi:105691}}

I have no experience with palms this small. I don't really want a palm growing in this pot - there's already a tree, Philodendron cutting that's taking off, and I added some spider plant babies a couple weeks ago.

Would it be best to try to remove it right away, or wait until March when the primary resident of this pot (Dracaena marginata) is due to be repotted?

Suspected mama:

{{gwi:80921}}Shack.us

Comments (29)

• Pat z6 MI
    12 years ago

Cute and funny.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Purple, that's amazing! Look at that cute baby..AWWW!

If you were attempting to sow a seed, it probably wouldn't germinate..lol.
    Think about all that's involved with sowing? Lights, heat, sterile pots, certain soil. lol.

Well, if you plan on keeping the palm, perhaps you should wait until spring. It's doing fine where it is, so why not?

Its roots aren't going to disturb those of your marginata's..not yet.. It's really amazing. Toni

BTW, you said your Palm didn't bloom this year. What about last year? Palm seeds can take a year before germinating. T

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! If I could figure out how to put a little pink bow on it, I might. It's about time something besides yellow Oxalis showed up in one of my pots.

The mama did bloom last year. I always kind of thought these plants had male/female versions since the "{{gwi:105686}}" (random search result pic) mine gets never look like flowers at any time. They're just green balls that turn orange. This seed has been at least a year in germinating.

This past spring, one of our camping trips to St Joseph Peninsula state park in Port St Joe, FL was at the same time as the blooms on the palm trees there. I'm not good at palm types so I don't know which kind it is that is so prevalent there, but the bloom stalks are so weird, they look like something stuck in/on the trees.

{{gwi:105692}}

• ronalawn82
    12 years ago

purpleinopp, here is some information about our state tree.

http://www.statesymbolsusa.org/Florida/treeSabalPalm.html

Original Author
    12 years ago

rona's link, clickable. Thanks! It's amazing how different things are just a few hours away.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Purple, there you go..grow a palm in your yard..T

Original Author
    12 years ago

There are several kinds of palm trees all around this area. I wish I knew more about them to tell you what kinds. There's a palm tree farm about 20 miles south of here and they're expensive. If I happen on a free one, you can bet I'd dig it a nice hole!

Original Author
    12 years ago

An update...

Baby has 2nd leaf:
    {{gwi:105693}}

Mama - reaching a size where repotting is going to be a challenge, 2-person job. Really irritated with myself for not taking pics when it flowered, late Feb/March:
    {{gwi:105694}}

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey, the mama has made a late flower, took this pic yesterday:

{{gwi:105695}}

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    11 years ago

purpleinopp,

This evening could you check and see if your palm flowers are scented? I have noticed that mine were, though it hasn't bloomed again for some time. The usual advice in house plant books seems to be to cut these off, one even saying that the flowers weakened the plant. I hope yours is still in flower!

Many thanks!

Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't cut these off until the balls fall off (which is kind of messy, I guess, maybe that's why?) I just went to sniff it and couldn't smell anything but the gardenia a few feet away (in the ground, not a house plant. Sorry I used to pine for the "exotic tropical" plants people had in warmer places. Now that I've moved to the south, I feel it's my duty to slip in those teases whenever a good opportunity presents itself.) If the scent is something you've noticed in the evening, hopefully I will notice it when I try sniffing it again later.

I've seen no evidence of flowers weakening this plant. It doesn't flower every year, but has done so often over the years. You're also not supposed to pull off the butts of the petioles of the dead leaves but I always do. I don't like dead stuff of any kind on plants and I think these are a likely place for a bug to hide or fungus or mold to form.

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    11 years ago

Thanks very much, purpleinopp. Maybe the gardenia scent might overpower that of the palm. I was wondering if only some have it - maybe even there are different types of this palm. I really hope yours does have the scent, it is just beautiful.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Doh! Forgot all about this last night. More suspense! Sorry.

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    11 years ago

Don't worry at all, any time you think of it will be fine. I'm hoping one of mine is going to flower soon.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry to report that I couldn't smell anything last night. Your plant has my hope, too!

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    11 years ago

Thank you for trying, purpleinopp. I wonder are there different types of this plant? I really hope mine flowers again.

Original Author
    11 years ago

This little cutie is still doing well, almost a year old. Who wants to make a cake?

• Enterotoxigenic00
    11 years ago

How sweet! Isn't nature amazing?

Original Author
    11 years ago

Agreed!

Original Author
    10 years ago

I ended up giving that little palm sprout to a new owner but found another one a few days ago. Thought it was grass, but definitely not! Not sure if it came from palm tree seeds I brought back from NOLA and scattered in various places, or some from Florida from last year that I've scattered at various times also. Aren't these 2 the strangest neighbors?!

• plantomaniac08
    10 years ago

Purple,
    Wow, you seem to have the best environment for those palm seedlings!

Planto

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Purp, I second Planto's comment.
    You either have a great environment or a green, palm thumb. :)

So, you had two different seed types? One from NOLA and a second from FL?

If so, can you think back, try to remember which seeds you spread around?

Funny. I've done the same thing. Had extra seeds/bulbs and tossed in-ground or indoor plant pots.
    Sometimes, a leaf tip or flower seed landed in a neighboring plant and grew.
    One year, Petunia seed fell in a potted citrus. By Feb, a little Petunia sprouted and flowered. Since citrus wasn't blooming, I wondered where a sweet scent was coming from. After an hour hunting, there sat the 'tunia in citrus pot, facing the window.

Good luck with your new palms. Are they too young to ID...and/or do you remember palm types seed came from in NOLA and FL? Toni

Original Author
    10 years ago

I have no idea what kind of palms they were, wish I did, might have been the same kind but I'm sure identical-looking seeds doesn't mean much. Probably a lot of palm seeds look the same.

Compulsively, I picked up ripe seeds from the ground when I saw them. Sent some away in trades, threw some here, some there, in pots and on the ground. Glad *something* likes a solid month of rain (or maybe it was the last few dribbles of beer in the plastic cup from the bar, where I put the NOLA ones to bring home?)

That little thing is lucky, I had my fingers on either side, starting to tug when I realized it didn't feel like grass. The last one still had the seed attached to one of the roots. Maybe I'll find the same thing when I dig this guy up. Doubt it's hardy here, and that spot's not big enough for a palm tree if it is.

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    I live in s. florida and can't resist palm seeds . The parlor palm belongs to a huge family of neotropical palms in the genus Chamaeodorea . they produce and germinate seed very easily. since you have one around that's probably what it is. They are also capable of remaining dormant unlike most palms for long periods of time.
    Most palm seeds require a lot of effort but chamaedorea is a happy exception though with just a little encouragement they become downright weedy lol
    I've had palms germinate in as little as two weeks to 27
    months !! you learm why such a large range in palm prices lol gary

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Gary. After seeing what a ripe palm seed looks like, I don't think my little house palms have ever made seeds, always still inside when they make flowers, then the little balls just fall off. I propose the original seedling from this discussion came from a seed that was in the soil of some plant I bought, got re-mixed, finally sprouted. Especially after hearing about the 27 month thing! What do you think?

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    Don't know what the smallest palm seed is but of the Chamaeodorea that I'm familiar with are about the size of a BB and can germinate in as little as 2 weeks BUT often still get germination 6 months later lol. I find this generally true of most palms Working with some Bungalow palms that took 9 months starting in June I'm still getting new germination .
    The 27 month was a "silver Joey " Described as "slow" lol. 16 years later it still has only 4 fronds and under two feet!!!
    Don't know the smallest but the largest seed in the world is a palm Coco de mer. averaging 30 pounds lol That would be a spectacular germination ?? lol
    My Bismarks have crossed 18 months and show no sign . Palm growers are PATIENT?? lol
    I know many palm seeds will remain viable for incredible lengths of time . while others rot in weeks lol
    Have had coconuts range from a month to well over a year!! gary

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Gary! I'm confused now, and there aren't a ton of pics of C. elegans seeds 'out there' to compare. There are a few, which show the stalk turning orange and the seeds round and black. I've not seen that appearance on the flower stalks of my plants. When the little balls fall off of my clump of trees, they're never any bigger than when they were yellow, although they do turn brown usually first. I've never seen a round, hard seed on them. The stalks just turn brown, never orange. This past winter, I tried to hand-pollinate them by rubbing all of them, hoping at least one was a male and I was getting pollen on the females. AFAIK, it didn't work.

The seeds I found falling off of the 'real' palm trees had a really hard coating, with the seed inside. The outer coating was about the size of a marble, and it's been a long time since I saw a BB, but that's probably about the size of the seeds I found inside. If C. elegans has a similar but smaller seed, I'm pretty sure I haven't seen any from my plants. Not knowing for sure what they're supposed to look like doesn't help.

Not sure if putting them outside on a warm enough day when they are in flower would help with pollination or not. No idea what critter might perform that service, or when the flowers are ripe for such occurrence.

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    been so long since I've seen parlor seed heads I've forgotten what they look like lol. your pic sure looks like a chameodorea of some type .
    Aound here palms are visited by bees by the gazillions lMust be doing the job as i get seeds by the ton lol
    gary

Original Author
    10 years ago

One person's weeds are another's exotic potted novelty! I'm always telling DH that Floridians could get rich by just potting up all of their weeds and trucking them up north. The reverse is how most of them got there anyway. They're either edible or a 'house plant' to somebody, a sad waste of valuable resources to just kill them if you ask me... but nobody ever does! You could probably sell those seeds. Not everybody can visit when they're all over the ground.

Anyway, found another one. This one's in a pot in much more shade, so exactly opposite location from the one posted 8/5/13, with 'hot and wet' being common factors.