Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help me choose a houseplant!

Posted by moonshinestar none (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 20, 13 at 9:47

So for a Biology exam, I need to choose a houseplant to use in my experiment. I will take six of the plants and water them daily with different quantities of water.

Could you please help me:

a. choose a houseplant that would grow from seed to measurable plant in a month, but that would also have a stalk that could be easily measured

b. recommend the pot size and ideal water quantity for said plant

Thank you so much,
Katy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help me choose a houseplant!

Not a house plant but pole beans might work.

o

Thank you for the advice dellis326, how high would you estimate a pole bean plant to grow from a seed in a month and also from a seedling in a month? Thanks again,
Katy

o

Morning,

Katy, when is your project due?

Most tropicals and succulents sowed from seed, 'especially this time of year,' take time to germinate, let alone grow 'x' height/width for your experiment.

Marigolds germinate within 10-days. Not a typical house plant. Although I've sowed seeds indoors..problem is, Marigolds, and other annuals, need fresh, circulating air, quite a bit of sun. If air is stale, annuals attract Spider Mites.

To be honest, I can't think of one tropical or succulent that will germinate and grow enough in one month.
Perhaps, somone here who lives in a warm climate, sows seeds, has an answer.

There's a plant called Mimosa. Mimosa germinates fairly fast.. It's annual in cold areas, perennia in warm climates.
Mimosa 'might' do.
A plus is, when leaves are touched, they move. You may get extra credit for a moving plant. :)

Good luck, Toni

o

From the very basic questions you asked, and unusual premise, I don't understand what's going on. Agreed, that is a very short amount of time for this experiment. Also agreed, plants usually called house plants are rarely available as seeds. Is this for high school or a college class? If varying quantities of water is the experiment, why would you ask how much to use? What is this experiment intended to prove or disprove?

Coleus might work. Mirabilis jalapa (4'o'clocks.) Basil, dill, oregano.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here