Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hayleykas

Spider plant care - help

hayleykas
10 years ago

Hi guys :) I'm new here - me and my boyfriend have 5 house plants and I'm trying my best to research as much as possible to care for them and to help them be as healthy as possible. Our spider plant is causing me problems and I need advice on how to help it. We had it in the bathroom as my partner read they liked the steam from the shower but it was on the window so it was in too much sun light so the ends are brown an I've had to remove some yellow leaves.. I've now moved it back to where it was in the first place. the downstairs toilet next to the window but out of it's direct light. i was going to water it once a week and mist twice.. we put all purpose continuous release plant food in all of the twice a year an i'm going to collect rain water in a bucket to water as i think using tap water has upset them all with the salt..

any advice would be appreciated :)

Comments (18)

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Hey, Hay... :)

Actually, your Spider Plant looks good. Very healthy.

Don't know you're location, but that sunny window that's too bright in summer, may be perfect during gray, winter months.

Your b/f is right. Spiders enjoy humidity. Be sure the bathoom door is closed while showering so air stays humid longer.

Rain and snow water is best...Times when neither are present, leaving a container of water out, at least 24-hours, does the trick.
    I keep old milk containers filled with water..when plants need a drink, room temp water is available.

Over-watering can cause yellow leaves. You mentioned watering once a week. Plants should not be watered by schedule.
    If soil feels wet, halt watering. Instead, wait a few days, retest soil....if it feels crumbly, 'stick your finger/stick in soil, or lift to check weight,' it's time for a drink.
    If you're finger or stick comes out wet/muddy, center to lower soil is still wet.
    If finger/stick comes out dry/clean, 'like testing a cake for doneness,' it's time to water.

Does the pot have drainage holes?

Also, is there a window in its new location?

IMO, Spiders do best in east-facing windows...if window/s do not have blinds or curtain.

Have you considered hanging your Spider, instead of placing on a sill?
    Once off-shoots/babies grow long, Spiders look fantastic when in a macrame/hanging basket.

Hope I was able to help. Good luck, Toni

• hayleykas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your reply! :) I have added a photo of where it is at the moment, in the downstairs toilet. We have our butterfly palm in a similar distance away from a window in our living room, our yukka is in the kitchen again in a similar distance away from a window, our prayer plant is on my boyfriend's pc desk which is opposite where the butterfly palm is and our spider plant and lucky bamboo is in the picture.

we're picking up a bucket from my dads later today and we'll leave that outside so that water will be for misting and for watering.. so it's more about observing the plants and soil and watering when needed more than a routine?

all our plants minus the lucky bamboo (that's in a glass pot which it was bought in) are in them brown plastic pots with holes.. we then put limestone around the pots an over the plants and a layer of limestone underneath the brown pots so when watering the plants don't sit in water.

i was thinking about a hanging plant but our problem is we have two VERY curious cats who love trying to attack all the plants... so a hanging one would cause problems. shame really

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Please don't water on a calender schedule. Plants need to be watered when the potting medium dries a bit.....how dry depends upon the kind of plant. Watering frequency will determined by the plant species, size, type of potting medium, time of year, temperature of the room, relative humidity, etc.

Misting does very little of benefit for your plant.....better to take it to the sink and give it a shower once in awhile to get the dust off.

Since you have softened water, you can use bottled spring water or distilled water in a pinch. Be sure to flush the potting medium thoroughly when watering to reduce the build up of soluble fertilizer salts in the medium.

Brown tips can be caused by watering too frequently or not frequently enough, by the water quality, fluoride, hot or cold drafts, low humidity levels, fertilizer practices, and other factors.

P.S. I made my post before I saw Toni 's

Yes....judge the watering need by feeling the potting mix a couple of times a week. Don't just touch the surface.....dig around a bit. With experience, you can also learn to judge the watering need by the weight of the plant.

This post was edited by rhizo_1 on Sun, Oct 20, 13 at 12:45

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Afternoon, Rhizo.

As for misting, I do both...mist and shower in the kitchen sink. That is when I have the energy. :)

Hay..Bad kitty. :) J/K, I love cats, dogs and birds.

If your Spider plant was hanging before a window, can your cat/s get to it? Just curious.

How long have you had your Palm and Yucca? Yuccas are sun-lovers, so the more the merrier.

Sun-loving plants will thrive in shade 'x' amount of time, but eventually grow spindly.
    Of course, I have no way of knowing how much light your plants get, or the exact distance from windows.
    In some cases, plants that do not get enough light grow slower..but that shouldn't be a problem.

If you wouldn't mind, I'd love to see pic of your Bamboo in the glass pot. Is it in water or soil?

I have a few super-large pots without drainage holes. I learned this trick from a plant store I once worked.
    Styrofoam.
    We'd get 8x12 styrofoam sheets, break off, according to pot size, then place inside pot w/o drainage...Plants were potted in plastic pots with drainage holes, then placed atop styrofoam sheet. Sometimes, two sheets were needed, depending on container height.

Why do you place limestone on top of soil? Toni

• hayleykas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We originally bought the limestone as a base for the plastic pots so they wouldn't sit in water.. we then put the limestone around the pots and over as we thought it looked nice lol.. it's more of a decoration.

i have said to my boyfriend i think it may be a bit harder to feel the soil but it's only a thin layer we've put over the soil

I've attached a picture of my lucky bamboo for you :) it's in water. i love it, it's so beautiful. i'm a bit worried its going to get too much sun but this window is at the side of the house by a fence so may not get too much light.

• hayleykas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

here's my prayer plant with the stones.. i think it looks nice lol.. will it be bad for them?

• hayleykas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Edit: Sorry, didn't see that question

we bought our Yukka, Prayer plant and Bamboo yesterday but have had the Palm ages - almost a year maybe. Same for the spider plant

• florauk
    10 years ago

Hi Hayley - I think the Spider Plant's position in the downstairs loo looks too dark. I'd put it on the windowsill instead. As already mentioned it looks pretty healthy.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Lime alters the PH of the soil, that's probably not good, unlikely the change would be desired or appreciated. Do these pots have drain holes? I was going to say the same thing as Flora about the spider plants' position (and beauty.)

• hayleykas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks both :) I will move the plant.

I will be removing the limestone... what do you think is a good thing to put in-between the plastic pot and the outer pot to stop water rotting the roots?

The plastic pots inside the larger "decorative" pots do indeed have drain holes x

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

I use plain rocks, or sometimes pebbles, even styrofoam peanuts. Lately I use the inner plastic ring from rolls of scotch tape (gives it a bit of height & keeps it off the bottom of the outer pot), my office uses a lot of tape so I often have extras.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

I don't put anything between the pot and the cache pot. There shouldn't be any standing water in the cache pot so there shouldn't be a rotting issue. BTW I have extremely hard water where I live and my spider plants have never objected. I also doubt the limestone chips on the surface will have any real effect on the potting compost. Some of you have seen this before.

• hayleykas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So having limestone won't cause problems? We washed our spider plant and butterfly palm at the weekend in the shower and they are both thrivin, both look so much happier and healthier :)

Thanks for the aadvice pirate girl :)

• hayleykas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So having limestone won't cause problems? We washed our spider plant and butterfly palm at the weekend in the shower and they are both thrivin, both look so much happier and healthier :)

Thanks for the aadvice pirate girl :)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

When one wants to raise the PH of their soil, lime is commonly used. If one's tap water has a lot of lime in it, plants can become chlorotic. Maybe I'm extrapolating incorrectly, but that's what prompted me to have the concern.

• hayleykas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Floral uk your spider plant is beautiful :) me and my boyfriend and wondering if you guys could give your advice on how to pot the cache pot. At the mo we obv have limestone under it then around it and above it but do you need to have stones/pebbles etc underneath or could it sit at the bottom of the larger outta pot. Or maybe sit on top of soil? Thanks x

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

I'm not quite following the last question, haylekas. 'Or maybe sit on top of the soil?'

A cache pot is just a decorative container into which you place the plastic or other pot the plant is actually growing in. It looks nicer and saves the furniture from damp marks. There doesn't need to be anything in the cache pot. After watering your plants there shouldn't be standing water in the cache pot after a few minutes. If there is you've overwatered and you need to tip it out.

The spider plant in the picture is still outside in the garden at the moment. It's been out on its summer holidays.

• hayleykas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh right i thought the plastic pot which the plant sits in is the cache pot. My misunderstanding. What I meant is we have the plastic pot in the decorative pot at the moment with limestone underneath the plastic pot and around it. We're trying to work out if we need put stones underneath the plastic pot so when watering if Water sits at the bottom it doesn't soak the roots

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County