Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What would your dream sunroom look like?

Posted by christie_sw_mo Z6 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 26, 10 at 10:26

I'm asking in this forum because I want a sunroom that is usuable for living space year-round so I'm thinking the conditions would be similar to the rest of our house but with more light and suitable for growing plants.
I've been hanging around Gardenweb for many years, just not in this forum because I've never had a good place for houseplants in my home.
Just thinking it would be nice to have a big room with wall-to-wall green. I must be getting the winter blues already and it's not even November yet. lol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What would your dream sunroom look like?

oh it would look a little like this...

Here is a link that might be useful: Dreaming

o

That's a very lovely dream.

o

Beautiful Greenchic! The fireplace makes it look very inviting.

Would you want a glass ceiling or just walls? Lots of birds on my property. I'm not sure overhead glass would stay clean very long. lol And I was wondering if a glass ceiling would make it TOO sunny for some plants.

I was looking through Google images and saw a sunroom that had a horizontal pole suspended from the ceiling that went all the way across the room for hanging plants. That would be a handy feature. Or maybe a couple columns of adjustable bookcase type shelves to sit plants on instead of just glass all the way around.

Here's what comes up on Google images for "Sunroom plants"

Here is a link that might be useful: Google images

o

I'd love that dream too! I have 2 stories high of windows in my living room, it works good but if I ever do get a sunroom I'd like it to have at a least part glass ceiling to give more sun longer if needed, especially during the winter in the north. I'd really like the floor to be "easy clean" so I wouldn't have to worry about the mess.

o

Mine would be this...

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunroom

o

christie: your so right! the birds would have too much fun with a glass ceiling and i wouldnt want to climb a ladder with a hose every day. maybe a partial glass ceiling cause in the winter im going to need all the light i can get

angeleyecat: no carpet no way :)even though its in the picture it wouldnt be realistically functional. but i would really enjoy a lovely garden room to have parties and entertain guests. If i ever add onto my house its def. going to be a garden room...

o

Greenchic, your room looks to have carpet. It would have to have tile or slate. I had large skylights in our past home and birds didn't affect the glass. The trees drop more stuff than the birds. Unless they are sitting right above they aren't a problem.

It's great to have glass ceilings because the plants grow straight up instead of leaning toward the windows. I would love one like cardarlins.

Nice dreaming,
Jane

o

You can have a glass roof without having to clean them frequently. Glass has come a long way over the last few years. Some of the glass is now self-cleaning. There are sunrooms and conservatories being built even where I am and are very comfortable all year long. You have to use the right materials--just like with anything else. You have to pay more to do it right.

Here is a link that might be useful: Good Sunroom Questions--many pics too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here