Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this alien looking plant?

Posted by kongulo 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 24, 12 at 10:35

I have searched everywhere for the name of this plant, I have no idea where to start.

It's not a succulent, although it looks like one. Well, it likes much more water than my succulents at least.

It's easy to propagate, I gave my friend some cuttings that I put straight into some earth and they are still alive, a little less than a year later.

Does anybody recognize it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this alien looking plant?

Close-up

o

Possibly a Euphorbia, or a Ssnecio (kleinia)?

o

peperomia ferreyrae

certainly is a succulent, a nice one too.

It taking more water now, they are very tolerant for a succulent, but soon you will need to taper off for the winter.

Here is a link that might be useful: succulent peperomias

o

Kong, definately a Peperomia, and a nice one at that.

P. ferreyrae is rarer than other Peps..so keep it healthy.

Peps are succulent, cared for as succulents, but require humdity. Toni

o

I wonder myself!

Thanks for posting this. I too have one that looks like a little palm tree and I have yet to get it named.

Here you go. I have wondered all this time.

Photobucket

o

Thats a peperomia? Looks so different! Cool, want one...

o

Larry, I would send you a cutting that has rooted, but I don't know if I can from here:-(

Mike:-)

o

Thanks mike for the offer anyway :)
You know I been looking at Peperomia species online and I don't think my plant is one!

o

Mike, I think yours is Senecio.

Notice the gaps on Kong's foliage? Don't see any on your plant..

However, I love yours w/its thick trunk..Wow..

o

Toni, I think mike's is the same plant. The closer gaps between the leaves, the internodes, could be due to constant pruning to get a fat trunk.

o

Wow! Thanks!

Mine doesn't have any wooden-looking parts though, even though it's probably almost 2 years old by now.

The foliage used to be much denser.

It's basically all just single stalks, growingstraight out of the pot. Doesn't branch at all.

o

So... I'm wondering... if I cut it back in a similiar way as when I cut my Jade, will it then branch out?

o

Give it lots of sunlight and keep pinching back on branches on a single plant that you have rooted,to encourage a thick trunk, just as you would a jade. The sun hardens off the trunk and the pinching back encourages fat growth.

It will grow a lot faster than you think!

Are they not a heavy plant or what? That little guy of mine is very heavy.

Mike

o

Yes, very heavy!

By the way, Mike, yours is lovely!

I love the look of this plant. Never seen anything like it before and I am very happy to know what it is now.

Thanks everybody for all the information and the advice.

o

beautiful plant. I have to keep my eye out for one.

o

They are quite nice

I think the plant in the first pic could use more light, it doesnt look unhealthy but not as tight and dense as it could be. I find the succulent peps to be one of the few succullents that doesnt mind over potting. I had several that were about 18-24 inches tall and had nice tree shape, some were converted to bonsais, and looked great!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here