Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kongulo

What is this alien looking plant?

kongulo
11 years ago

I have searched everywhere for the name of this plant, I have no idea where to start.

It's not a succulent, although it looks like one. Well, it likes much more water than my succulents at least.

It's easy to propagate, I gave my friend some cuttings that I put straight into some earth and they are still alive, a little less than a year later.

Does anybody recognize it?

Comments (16)

• kongulo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Close-up

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Possibly a Euphorbia, or a Ssnecio (kleinia)?

• grabmebymyhandle
    11 years ago

peperomia ferreyrae

certainly is a succulent, a nice one too.

It taking more water now, they are very tolerant for a succulent, but soon you will need to taper off for the winter.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:105894}}

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

I wonder myself!

Thanks for posting this. I too have one that looks like a little palm tree and I have yet to get it named.

Here you go. I have wondered all this time.

{{gwi:105895}}

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Thats a peperomia? Looks so different! Cool, want one...

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Larry, I would send you a cutting that has rooted, but I don't know if I can from here:-(

Mike:-)

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Thanks mike for the offer anyway :)
    You know I been looking at Peperomia species online and I don't think my plant is one!

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Mike, I think yours is Senecio.

Notice the gaps on Kong's foliage? Don't see any on your plant..

However, I love yours w/its thick trunk..Wow..

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Toni, I think mike's is the same plant. The closer gaps between the leaves, the internodes, could be due to constant pruning to get a fat trunk.

• kongulo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow! Thanks!

Mine doesn't have any wooden-looking parts though, even though it's probably almost 2 years old by now.

The foliage used to be much denser.

It's basically all just single stalks, growingstraight out of the pot. Doesn't branch at all.

• kongulo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So... I'm wondering... if I cut it back in a similiar way as when I cut my Jade, will it then branch out?

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Give it lots of sunlight and keep pinching back on branches on a single plant that you have rooted,to encourage a thick trunk, just as you would a jade. The sun hardens off the trunk and the pinching back encourages fat growth.

It will grow a lot faster than you think!

Are they not a heavy plant or what? That little guy of mine is very heavy.

Mike

• kongulo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, very heavy!

By the way, Mike, yours is lovely!

I love the look of this plant. Never seen anything like it before and I am very happy to know what it is now.

Thanks everybody for all the information and the advice.

• Polly381
    11 years ago

beautiful plant. I have to keep my eye out for one.

• grabmebymyhandle
    11 years ago

They are quite nice

I think the plant in the first pic could use more light, it doesnt look unhealthy but not as tight and dense as it could be. I find the succulent peps to be one of the few succullents that doesnt mind over potting. I had several that were about 18-24 inches tall and had nice tree shape, some were converted to bonsais, and looked great!

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz