Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teengardener1888

blooming Christmas cactus before hawollen?

teengardener1888
11 years ago

Can someone explain this.

Comments (12)

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Hi Teen..long time no see..Have you been dormant? :)

Was your Thanksgiving Cactus outside? If so, when did you bring in?

Indoor heat hastens buds to flower. My TC buds are getting larger by the day,(in a cool room,)and will most likely bloom long before Thanksgiving.

BTW, nice TC..there's more buds, hopefully they'll take their time to flower. Toni

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Hey, TG! Good 2 hear from u. Your plant is happy - and very pretty!! I don't have one, never have, so that's the extent of my input.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

How lovely, your white blooms are really very white (rather than tinged w/ light pink as commonly are).

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you. Yes I did have it outside and has been near my heater. That explains it. Daylight made it bloom

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Teen, can you place your TC in a cooler location? Heat will cause flowers to fade and buds to open faster than you'd like.

• teengardener1888
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes I can. I wish it waited to bloom but gorgeous

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Now that I think about it, maybe it's better you don't move your TC. Sometimes, when moved, buds 'can' drop. I wouldn't want to be/feel responsible.

Maybe someone has input.

Don't know the reason, but several people mentioned their TC's flowered during summer.
    A couple of my TC's did the same, but flowers were much smaller than usual.

• tnferguson
    11 years ago

Nice Thanksgiving Cactus!

Toni is right - moving them can cause the buds to drop. Having the plant near a heat source can also cause the same problem and will cause the flowers to be very short-lived. It's up to you if you want to move your plant or not - In my opinion you run a little risk either way.

I've got 5 Thanksgiving Cactus plants that are in bud - none as far along as yours, though. My plants enjoy the Summer growing season on my front porch where they get about 2 hours of early morning sun and bright shade the rest of the day. I try to wait as long as possible (risky I know) to bring them in so that they begin blooming later. I just brought my plants in this past Sunday in advance of Hurricane Sandy.

It's definitely worth noting that some varieties do bloom earlier than others...

-Tim

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

It doesnt seem to have the sharp horns that are diagnostic of a TC, but doesnt look as smooth edged as a CC! A hybrid?

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

It's a Thanksgiving cactus. I'm going to guess that it will be pink in a few years. They usually do that. I've had countless holiday cacti over the years...including a white (now pink) one just like the one pictured. I have never, ever had a problem with buds or flowers popping off if I moved the plants.

And trust me, I move them all over the place! I turn them at the windows ; I move them to a focal point when in flower. Dropping buds is just something that I have never seen.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Hi TG,

While I wouldn't want to be responsible for their loss either, I do believe when the buds are as far along in their development as yours, they're OK to move. It's when they're first budding that seems to be vulnerable to blasting if moved. I've heard folks say it causes the buds to turn to the light, which damages the neck of the bloom & causes it to blast. Nice job, enjoy!

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Tim, yep, heat will cause bud drop, too. What's the solution?
    I've read if a TC in bud must be reloated, buds should face the same direction they were facing before moving. Never tried it, but sounds logical..And a cooler location might stop buds from dropping.

Rhizo..Do you remember Pug? Haven't seen her around, hope she's okay.

Anyway, she experimented w/white/yellow flowered TC by placing in shade instead of bright light.

Her whites and yellows remained true to color. She sent pics of her TC's..I couldn't believe the colors..especially yellow.