Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
blooming Christmas cactus before hawollen?

Posted by teengardener1888 5a (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 30, 12 at 11:01

Can someone explain this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: blooming Christmas cactus before hawollen?

Hi Teen..long time no see..Have you been dormant? :)

Was your Thanksgiving Cactus outside? If so, when did you bring in?

Indoor heat hastens buds to flower. My TC buds are getting larger by the day,(in a cool room,)and will most likely bloom long before Thanksgiving.

BTW, nice TC..there's more buds, hopefully they'll take their time to flower. Toni

o

Hey, TG! Good 2 hear from u. Your plant is happy - and very pretty!! I don't have one, never have, so that's the extent of my input.

o

How lovely, your white blooms are really very white (rather than tinged w/ light pink as commonly are).

o

Thank you. Yes I did have it outside and has been near my heater. That explains it. Daylight made it bloom

o

Teen, can you place your TC in a cooler location? Heat will cause flowers to fade and buds to open faster than you'd like.

o

Yes I can. I wish it waited to bloom but gorgeous

o

Now that I think about it, maybe it's better you don't move your TC. Sometimes, when moved, buds 'can' drop. I wouldn't want to be/feel responsible.

Maybe someone has input.

Don't know the reason, but several people mentioned their TC's flowered during summer.
A couple of my TC's did the same, but flowers were much smaller than usual.

o

Nice Thanksgiving Cactus!

Toni is right - moving them can cause the buds to drop. Having the plant near a heat source can also cause the same problem and will cause the flowers to be very short-lived. It's up to you if you want to move your plant or not - In my opinion you run a little risk either way.

I've got 5 Thanksgiving Cactus plants that are in bud - none as far along as yours, though. My plants enjoy the Summer growing season on my front porch where they get about 2 hours of early morning sun and bright shade the rest of the day. I try to wait as long as possible (risky I know) to bring them in so that they begin blooming later. I just brought my plants in this past Sunday in advance of Hurricane Sandy.

It's definitely worth noting that some varieties do bloom earlier than others...

-Tim

o

It doesnt seem to have the sharp horns that are diagnostic of a TC, but doesnt look as smooth edged as a CC! A hybrid?

o

It's a Thanksgiving cactus. I'm going to guess that it will be pink in a few years. They usually do that. I've had countless holiday cacti over the years...including a white (now pink) one just like the one pictured. I have never, ever had a problem with buds or flowers popping off if I moved the plants.

And trust me, I move them all over the place! I turn them at the windows ; I move them to a focal point when in flower. Dropping buds is just something that I have never seen.

o

Hi TG,

While I wouldn't want to be responsible for their loss either, I do believe when the buds are as far along in their development as yours, they're OK to move. It's when they're first budding that seems to be vulnerable to blasting if moved. I've heard folks say it causes the buds to turn to the light, which damages the neck of the bloom & causes it to blast. Nice job, enjoy!

o

Tim, yep, heat will cause bud drop, too. What's the solution?
I've read if a TC in bud must be reloated, buds should face the same direction they were facing before moving. Never tried it, but sounds logical..And a cooler location might stop buds from dropping.

Rhizo..Do you remember Pug? Haven't seen her around, hope she's okay.

Anyway, she experimented w/white/yellow flowered TC by placing in shade instead of bright light.

Her whites and yellows remained true to color. She sent pics of her TC's..I couldn't believe the colors..especially yellow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here