Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Epsom Salts

Posted by jasdip (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 23, 06 at 11:04

I've heard that epsom salts are good to give plants. It makes them green. Is this something that can be given on a regular basis? Would it harm them over the long run?

My livingroom gets sun in the winter, and none in the summer, so my plants actually do better in the wintertime.

I'm thinking that epsom salts would just be a little bit of a boost for them

Sherry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Epsom Salts

The council recommends the following applications: (what council do you ask? www.epsomsaltcouncil.org. )

Houseplants
Mix one teaspoon per gallon of water and feed to the plants every two to four weeks

For vibrant plants and vegetables- like your body, plants will suffer if they lack nutrients. By adding just a spoonful of epsom salt you can prevent weak stalks and yellow leaves. Sprinkle epsom salt around the base of a plant will lead to big healthy vegetables.

maryanne

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.basic-info-4-organic-fertilizers.com/epsomsalt.html

o

Thanks Maryanne!
I'm going to check on the website. I figure it can't hurt, and will give them the nutrients for consistently green leaves.

Sherry

o

Where do u buy it? At the local grocery store or Home Depot or specialty places?

thanks

raj

o

Raj,
Look for it in the pharmacy section of the grocery store, walmart etc.

o

Also, look for the one in the milk carton style container, not the dark glass jars (for ingestion, that is for taking internally, higher grade & more expensive).

I'd think twice abt doing this thru winterime when plants are slowing down in their growth. Or maybe just do it once thru winter, & somewhat more often in Spring & Summer.

Also, some caution here pls. follow the recommended doses, plants can be damaged from too much of this. Someone who was a frequent contributor here 'til recently, overused this somewhat & did damage to a number of her Sansevierias & alerted us to that fact.

o

• Posted by ecomtl 5a Qc Canada (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 27, 06 at 13:26

I think Sherry would be fine in using epsoms in the winter months given how she described her house in the winter Vs summer.

o

I have been lurking and kibitzing on GW forums since 1997 and I am fascinated by the frequency with which "Epsom Salts" appears in the subject line. A GW search pulls up 765 hits and Googling GW finds a few more.

I have pondered this for about 10 years now and I can see no particular advantage other than Epsom Salts are a handy source of magnesium and sulfate. If one needs magnesium or sulfate then it should be a convenient source.

I don't think your plants need an aperient (bg).

o

• Posted by ecomtl 5a Qc Canada (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 27, 06 at 15:59

That is the only benefit I have ever read about, since most fertilizers don't usually have a magnesium content in them already.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here