Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
needinfo001

How do i know what windows are north, south, west, and east?

needinfo001
9 years ago

How do i figure out what direction the windows in my home are?
I hear people talking about they have trees planted on the south side of their property and a house plant is in front of a north facing window and etc.

How do i know which area is which?

Comments (12)

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

I'm not trying to sound like a smarty pants here, but grab yourself a compass and face your window. For the longest time I thought I had a South window, but when I grabbed a compass, I realized that it's a Southeast window (more East than South at that).

Also, see where the sun rises and sets in relation to your windows. That's how I was gauging initially that my window was South. The sun rises in the East and sets in the West. But, a better determination IMO would be a compass.

Planto

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

"Morning light" :)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

My house is an easy one! We can watch sunsets from the front windows (West) and sunrises from the back (East). If looking out my front window, I turn to the left and the windows face the south; right is north.

Just locate where the sun goes down tonight in the horizon and you'll know that that's due West. That's all you need.

• kwie2011
    9 years ago

You can also look at your road on a map, or in Google maps, etc. In case you don't know, maps are oriented with north at the top.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Purp,
    I love that we receive tons of winter sun in this window.

Planto

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Sunrise and sunset, if you're awake during those hours.

• Pyewacket
    9 years ago

Stand outside and point your left arm in the direction where the sun rises.

Now stand so that (with your left arm still pointing to sunrise) when your right arm is extended, it is pointing to where the sun sets.

Now North is the way you are facing, and South is behind you.

A compass may give you more precise orientations for particular spots inside your house, but this will give you a rough idea of where everything is.

• eaga
    9 years ago

zensojourner's instructions will work if your arms are folded across your body. If your arms are extended outward, you'll be facing South.

• Pyewacket
    9 years ago

Dang! I always get my left and right mixed up. And I tried so hard! I swear I double checked myself like 3 times before I hit submit, LOL!

• dellis326 (Danny)
    9 years ago

Actually, the Sun only rises "due" east and sets "due" west on 2 days of the year. Only on the spring and fall equinoxes. During the summer it rises a little north-east and sets a little north-west and during the winter its a little south-east and south-west respectively.

Cercis141: That was funny, I had to stop and think about that myself.

• eaga
    9 years ago

Don't feel bad zensojourner, I myself double checked with DH, and we did the arm pointing thing together before I posted. We didn't go outside, though . . .

Common phrase in my household: "No, sweetheart, your *other* left" :)

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource