Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marquest_gw

ID Needed

marquest
12 years ago

I was at the grocery store yesterday and found this plant on sale really cheap. It looks familiar but for the life of me I cannot place the name in my dead brain.

Of course with my life as it is this plant comes with a story. When I saw it I thought it had two of my wants color leaves and big. My other need to have when I buy plants is fragrance. Two out of three drew me to the plant.

I always do self checkout. The bar code of course was on the side of the pot instead of the bottom to scan the plant. I turned the plant on its side and bucket of water went everywhere. The scanner made a frying noise and lights went out and I swear I saw a spark. Clerk runs over and ask me what happened and saw the water and pulled me away. I am standing on the side with my purchases and credit card in my hand waiting to find out what to do next, as she ran to get the manager.

Manager comes over and looks at the situation. Next he starts to pack up my groceries and putting them in the basket. Picks the plant up and put it in my buggy and said "NO CHARGE" I am slow I said where do I pay. He looked at me like are you out of your mind lady, and said very slow NOOOO CHARGEEEE LOL

The plant was in a pot in pot and evidently they had watered it and there was bucket of water in the nursery pot with no drainge. By both of them being black I did not notice that it was a pot in pot situation.

OK that is my long story here is the plant. I know it is common and someone has to be able to name it quick.

{{gwi:106062}}

{{gwi:106065}}

Comments (8)

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hey Marquest,

Congratulations & good story. Nice find, I don't know the name, but will guess the family, OK? How about Calathea, Marantha, Cetanthe?

Well no, I just looked at some reference book w/ pix of the above. It's not them, maybe a Cordyline, no? Maybe even a variegated Ginger? I know I've seen it as well, curious.

Striking and very handsome whatever it is.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Sheesh, nothin' fun EVER happens to me at the grocery store.

I'm going with Ti (Cordyline) plant on this one, of which there are sooo many cultivars.

• marquest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

rhizo_1,
    I wish I did not have so many exciting things happen. I just went in to buy some rice, peppers, onions for my stirfry. It scared me I was shaking so by the time I got home I ended up making a tuna sandwich for dinner.

I think you ID'd it right

Pirate girl sorry I had to remind you of the dead brain syndrome. LOL

Look here there are some awesome Cords...I see a new passion coming on.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cordyline Society

• paul_
    12 years ago

LOL! I'm glad you're okay but that story was funny!

Maybe the manager will have a talk with the plant dept people about learning how and how not to water! Glad he didn't charge you but then too he was probably relieved that you were alright and wouldn't be pressing charges.

• nanw_4wi
    12 years ago

Karen..you were right with your 'variegated ginger' guess.

It's Alpinia zerumbet 'variegata'.

Nice freebie! They would have yelled at me;)

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hey Nan,

Thanks for the confirmation -- LONG time no see, how on earth are you? Good to know you're still around these parts sometime.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Marquest, what a story!!! Wow, were you embarrassed or stunned? lol.

What a deal!! Maybe you should go back, pick out several plants, and redo what you did..lol..

Yep, your plant is Costus speciousus Variegata, Crepe Ginger. A true humidity lover.
    Very nice one, too.

You are so funny, girl. lol. Toni

• marquest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nan you really think it is a ginger and not a Cord? They would not yell at you if you were looking like I looked. I know I looked like a wet puppy with a credit card in her paw. If I had a tail it would have been tucked between my legs. I am still amazed when I think about how much water came running out of that pot.

Toni I was stunned. I am still grieving and there are times I am in a daze. At first I remember thinking what is that, then my slow mind said water, then where is it coming from.....LOL It did not seem heavy so water logged never occurred to me. Water was running down the belt and on my shoes. I guess carrying in all those house plants have built up my muscles. LOL

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz