Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

What not-coffee plant am I killing?

I'm not sure what the little plant I got is, but it's in pretty bad shape. Under the guise of coffee, I put it in full sun, which seems to have burned some spots. I hope that's what those spots are. Could it be something more funky? I don't see any critters, or webbing. I found a slug on it, but I think it was just eating a dead spot, not connected to causing it.

The sap is clear, woody stems.

Here's what it looked like when I got it, beginning of this month.

Comments (8)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This morning it looks like this.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Good call on the clear sap...not a ficus then.
    Sheesh I know I've seen it SOMEwhere before...for the life of me I'm drawing a blank here.

Wish I was more help,Purp!
    At least we know what it isn't,right? :)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah. Pretty sure it's something from EA, just not 'wearing' the right tag when I bought it.

The leaves are alternate or whorled, and the newest leaf was curled up in the leaf before. Just looked to see what else I could say about it.

• Starlight Botanist
    10 years ago

I can't help but feel like it reminds me of a magnolia leaf a little, but surely that can't be it.

Leaves look too thin, internode looks too short.... Hummmmm

I am at a loss on what could cause that damage too.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hi Purple,

Sorry, I don't know about the damage, hum.

As to the ID, it may be crazy, but my initial thought was Pereskia, something about the shape of the leaves (don't know what their leaf arrangement is tho' & can't quite see it in the pix my search yielded).

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks x3 for wanting to help!

I think I found it, Ardisia. (Browsing EA genuses, luckily it was an A-plant, the 2nd I didn't know that I clicked on.) Sunburn is likely for a 'medium light' plant suddenly thrust into full sun, oops. Will remove any not-right leaves and hope no new ones appear if I stop baking it too much.

Thanks for several folks for saying it's not a coffee in this discussion.

This post was edited by purpleinopp on Tue, Oct 29, 13 at 12:55

Original Author
    10 years ago

Did a little investigating, I've got a quasi-hardy invasive weed here, A. humilis, synonym = A. elliptica. Many house plants are, I've fallen for one. I now realize one of the occasional weeds I pull in my Mom's yard is almost surely some type of Ardisia (there are several invasive species around.) Must be one in a yard near hers. Apparently it makes berries that birds love to eat, so gets spread around that way. They should probably have shipped these plants farther north.

The leaves do feel nice though. Really nice. I've kept seedlings pulled in Mom's yard before for that very reason, and the attractive reddish tint to the new leaves. Granted, they were pulled ruthlessly from the ground, but they have all died. Not a good sign, and a quandry is that if it's happy, it's going to end up making those berries, unlike most would-be invasive weeds I keep for their foliage that have no chance of spreading anywhere unless I plant them in the ground. I don't wish for an unhappy plant that doesn't make flowers/berries, so this is a $4 contribution to the compost pile.

Lesson learned, I can tell it apart from a coffee plant now, so I may still bring something else home in place of a coffee plant, but it will have more veiny/puckery leaves that look more like coffee, and don't think it'll be an Ardisia. LOL! Thanks again peeps!

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Purp, funny...I couldn't remember the name Coral Berry, so Googled, sweet. Coral Berry popped up.
    I think your plant is Ardisia 'Coral Berry.'
    Don't know how sweet arrived to Coral Berry..Strange

Coral Berry is sold at are grocery store..an Exotic Angel Plant.

Good luck. I've tried growing Ardisa over and over. The last Coral Berry I bought was eaten by my bird, Sparkle..it's supposed to be poisonous to birds!
    Sparkle is alive and well, but the plant ended in the trash minutes after I brought it home.

They can't endure full sun or heat. Either does my Coffee tree..

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths