Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilfarmgirl

Selloum Philodendron Care

LilFarmGirl
9 years ago

Hi all. I bought a Selloum Pholodendron from a variety store this summer. The leaves were big and healthy. I repotted it and it grew and grew. I moved it from the ground to my porch and the larger leaves turned brown and fell off. Now there are many smaller leaves but they seem to turn brown and fall off when they get a certain size. Question 1: How do I care for it and fertilize it? 2. Can I propagate it or divide it to make two plants to take inside over the winter?

Comments (11)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

'Ello. :)

If you can post a quick pic of it,it will help us see what we're working with.

I for one am curious to see it.

• LilFarmGirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry so late but this is the picture I took earlier today. I can't seem to Bluetooth from this new phone I have.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Looks pretty good from that angle so far. It's natural for older leaves to drop over time,and when they are adjusting to lower light conditions they will not need as many. When you re-potted it,did you notice any side growth just beneath the soil line? If so,this is the safest place to extract a cutting from. If you didn't see any "pups" with a fair bit of their own roots to divide from the host plant,then don't worry about propagating it for now...these things take time. Most people will be better off just buying another plant as opposed to waiting for the original to provide divisions.

Any typical plant food mix should work but to be on the safe side,mix it to half strength or even more diluted. Better to underfeed than over,if you know what I mean.

• dellis326 (Danny)
    9 years ago

When you get this type of growth you can propagate it. You can't just chop the stem on these types of plants.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Awesome & educational pic, TY for sharing!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

What Danny was indicating is this...the main stem actually CAN be cut when you have these rope-like aerial roots growing out the sides as seen in his pic above. You would want to make sure that the cutting had at least one such root still attached to it. More is better,but the larger a cutting you take,the less material the host plant has to recover with so I would advise taking no more from the top than two or three aerials down(and in some cases even that might be pushing it.

The pic below shows an example of where I'd cut mine if I wanted to make another. The underside of your cut stem will not be where the new roots emerge,so dusting the wound with cinnamon can help prevent fungus from growing on it. The new roots will grow from the cut end of the aerial roots,which should be cut long enough to reach the potting mix and get down into it a bit.

• dellis326 (Danny)
    9 years ago

You can actually cut the root a couple inches from the stem and place it in a cup of water until they start to branch, then cut the stem and pot it.

Also. The pups like in my photo could be cut off if they have their own roots separate from the parent plant and started on their own.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Now that I look again at Danny's pic I see the pups he was actually referring to in the first place.

Sorry about the confusion!

What I said above is also true,but given the option I'd rather take pups over a chop any day.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I always cut the stems and made several cuttings with no problems.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

When the new growth comes in on the mother plant,what does it do? Do they branch into two or more growthpoints?

Do you have any pics of the new growth from a whacked host?

Would be most excellent if you did!

• dellis326 (Danny)
    9 years ago

Meconostigma type philodendrons will not grow from stem cuttings unless there are already roots growing out of the stem. Even then they can take some babying.

Other common split leaf plants like Monstera & Rhaphs can easily be started from stem cuttings.