Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scheffs and Dracaena Del Sol...............

Posted by elkay 6a (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 11:41

Ok, back in June or July, I meant to cut these two in half, root the tops and put them back into the same pots with the bottoms, but never did it. I assume I should just wait until next spring to do it, right?

Photobucket

And I still can't find out why this dracaena is growing this way. I got some Foliage-Pro in case it was missing some nutrient, but that hasn't helped. It gets bright, filtered light on my deck and I let it dry between waterings, but not TOO dry. It seems healthy, but looks sickly. Why are the leaves growing all "wavy" and not normal like a regular dracaena fragrans? I've seen pics of DDSs and the leaves are wide and smooth. (???)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scheffs and Dracaena Del Sol...............

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 16:23

If your scheffs have been in very bright light (they don't look like they have been), their energy reserves should be very high right now, which means they should root quickly, but the big picture that looks beyond their rooting and into overwintering shows that it would be better to wait until next July. Still, scheffs are very forgiving and it won't kill it by a long shot to root some cuttings.

Once the conformity of a leaf has been determined by how the cells are shaped and situated, your cultural changes and ministrations won't change it. If you're looking to determine if your changes were corrective, look to the shape of the newly emerging foliage as the indicator. Some patience will be required as foliage emerges.

Al

o

Elkay..When your Dracaena was young, did it have wavy/curly leaves?
There's a new speciemen (3-yrs) called Dracaena Wavy/Curly. I found one at the grocery store of all places, for .25 lower than those sold on Ebay.

If your Dracanea isn't naturally wavy/curly, other than insect deformity, I don't have an answer.

It looks very healthy, not sick at all. Toni

o

Thanks, Al.

I grew those two from stem cuttings in 2010. They are out on my deck late spring thru early fall, receiving bright light and even afternoon sun - I don't know why they look sp spindly. I guess I'll wait until next year and severly prune them.

Toni, that dracaena was about half that size when I got it, and pretty sure it had the wavy leaves then, too. Never heard of a curly variety. I guess I just have to accept the fact that it's going to stay that way. Not so attractive looking to me.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 17:50

Toni's right, of course; and sort of what I alluded to when I mentioned the cellular thing - could very likely be a manifestation of the plant's genetic predisposition.

If you want a really compact/dwarf aboricola with smaller leaves & very short internodes, look for the variety 'Luseanne'.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here