Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for ID (no pic)

Posted by scsva 7/VA (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 11:46

It's a star like plant with striped, stiff leaves. I suspect it might be in the bromeliad family (but not even sure of that) There were lots of them in WM this past season. I bought one on a whim and its turning out to be a favorite but I can't remember its name, begins with crys (I think) and I keep thinking it is something like crysanthis (sp). Can someone give me the correct spelling so I can look this up on the net?

Thanks.
Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for ID (no pic)

Cryptanthus. It is indeed from the same family as Bromelaids. It's also known as "Earth Star"

Planto

o

Sorry, meant to post a photo of mine in my last post. I also got mine at WM (but on clearance for $1.47). I was a little afraid to buy it as I figured I'd somehow manage to kill it, but so far it's bloomed for me and has produced three pups! I found the cultivar online as 'Chocolate Soldier.' It's a bit more "flush" in this photo as it was about to bloom, but since blooming, it has lightened in color.

Chocolate Soldier

Planto

o

Thank you so much. I originally thought it was a boring looking plant but after I kept seeing it, I bought one. Now I think it is a truly interesting, easy plant.

Thanks again.

o

scsva,
You're welcome. I agree with you, it's by far one of the most easy to care for plants I own. I don't care for fickle or difficult to care for plants, they don't stay with me long. ;)

Planto

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here