Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdsnblooms

New Arrivals

birdsnblooms
11 years ago

Even though I vowed not to add more plants, well, the urge struck.

But, this is the last time!!

This this is Pereskia variegata/Rose Cactus, but not sure..The Ebay seller listed is a Succulent Plant.

{{gwi:106281}}

Pereskia flowers...they differ from my green Pereskia.

{{gwi:106282}}

Thanksgiving Cactus 'Aspen.'

{{gwi:106283}}

Begonia Luxurians..the cane is huge

{{gwi:106284}}

B. Luxurians, backup..

{{gwi:106285}}

Begonia Fire Flash, Curly..though I don't see any curl

{{gwi:106286}}

Pilea/Artillary Fern..'not a fern.' Haven't seen this plant in ages..then to come across it on Ebay, and variegated to boot.

{{gwi:106287}}

I haven't any idea how to care for P. Artillary Ferns. Googled, but very little information.

If anyone knows, please let me know.

Anyone else add new plants since days have been gray? Toni

Comments (31)

• elkay_gw
    11 years ago

Whoa! I've never seen a b.luxurian before - very cool! Have you had them in the past? What kind of conditions do they like?

I might hafta get one of those!

• scsva
    11 years ago

That pereskia variegated rose cactus is to die for! I so love that family of plants. Even though it is in the cactus family, usually the leaves are not that succulent. Thanks for posting.

Susan

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks..

Elkay, I purchased B. Luxurians last Apr. It was much smaller than these two, but healthy.

In July, when temps were 100-104, 'no a/c' some Begonias died, others looked awful. Unfortunately, luxurians didn't make it. Begonias do not like too much heat, let alone 100F or hotter.

LMK, if you're serious about getting a Luxurians..Most are expensive, and worse, there are at least two varieties..'Stewart' is Luxurians, but leaves are thicker. I like thinner foliage Lux.
    The seller isn't posting Luxurians anymore, but he has some available. BTW, I am in NO way affiliated w/him, other than buying two Begonias.

Susan..thank you..Do you think it's a Rose Cactus? My green Pereskia has rose-like flowers..The flowers on this succulent differs.

Got in on Ebay. Inexpensive. The seller's been around a while..in 2009, most of his plants were .99. I bought several different varieties, including rarer Aloes.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Love the Pereskia! The Begonia is a very pretty one. Is it rhizomatous?

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Purple, thank you.

B. Lux is a cane that can get as tall as 15', although I doubt mine will ever grow that size...if it lives at all.

A well-tended B. Lux is gorgeous..I've seen pics, and believe me, this is one plant Begonia lovers must have.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

enable, enable...

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Nice plants, I so want at least one foliage begonia!!

As for the Pilea, its one of those cool plants Ive long wanted but never got one. One common name is Artillery Plant, must have explosive seed pods I guess. I think theyre related to nettles.

• rachelthepoet
    11 years ago

Toni:

The Pereskia variegata/Rose Cactus is super cute. I love its shape and little flowers. Thanks for sharing!

-Rachel

• karyn1
    11 years ago

Toni what you have listed as pereskia looks more like Aptenia Cordifolia and a variegated Aptenia Cordifolia. Pereskias have rounded petals and look like a rose. They also have killer thorns. Randy told me that you were looking for a B. luxurans. I guess I don't have to take cuttings now. lol That B. Fire Flash has beautiful colors.

• Lamora
    11 years ago

All are very nice! I love the Rose Cactus.. And the Fire Flash.. very colorful indeed.. :)

• deadheadri
    11 years ago

One thing about that 'GW Disease'...
    It sneaks up on ya! :-)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Toni, look up Pilea microphylla for information about your cute 'artillery fern'.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Everyone, and Good Morning,

Purple, lol.

Larry, you're right. When I Googled, it said AF was, I believe, in the Nettle family. Although, I'm unsure what Nettle is, now have to Google Nettle..lol.

What type of Begonia do you want? 'Sign of the Dove' has beautiful Begonias.

Rachel, thank you.

Karen, I'll Google Aptenia. Thank you. The seller had it listed as variegated succulent. Think I mentioned I wasn't certain of its type, assuming it was Pereskia.

Randy told you I was looking for Luxurians?? Who's Randy? lol.

Marjie...Thank you.

Charlie, No Sh*t! Ooops

Rhizo. I did..that's how I came up with Pilea..guess I was too lazy to type microphylla above. lol.

I first Googled Artillary Fern..'not a true fern, but that's the common name.' Up popped Pilea microphylla. So, I then Googled PM. There wasn't much info on either name. Some said it makes a good terrarium plant. Maybe Bing has more info on Pileas. Thank you.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Toni, what kind of begonia do I want, any with good foliage! Im not a fan of the big flowery types, I like foliage plants. A good old B.rex would do me...

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Karen1...Thank you sooo very much. You're right. Googled and found the exact plant..Aptenia Cordifolia variegata.
    I'm happy you corrected my error...I haven't yet wrote tags w/name and date of purchase and have to change name on Flickr. Thanks.

Larry..there's numerous Bogonias grown for foliage, but I think all flower. If you really dislike blooms they could always be removed w/a simple snip.

Rexes are beautiful..nice colors and textures.

Are you surrounded by nurseries in your location? Don't know if florists are similar to those in US. They over-charge for the most basic plants.

I love finding plants online..In IL, we're limited, unless we feel like driving 1.5-2 hours away..I do not, and gas prices are terribly high.

There are several online nurseries, many who specialize in certain plants, 'ex: Begonias, Orchids, succulents, etc.'

Also check gardenwatchdog. They list nurseries, nationwide.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

No what I mean is I find the big flowery type of begonia to have boring foliage, I prefer the Rex type, or Iron Cross Begonia. And no theres no nurseries near me, just places like B&Q, Homebase etc.

• karyn1
    11 years ago

Toni Randy is mark4321 on GW. He mentioned to me that you were looking for the B. luxurians a few weeks ago.

I buy from a couple vendors that are constantly mislabeling plants. Pepper's is one of the worst when it comes to mislabeling but their plants are nice and the price right so I deal with it.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Larry, do you order online? If so, go to gardenwatchdog. There's a box about midway down. Click on the arrow to locate your country. Click on UK.
    A list of vendors should show.

Rex, especially Iron Cross is one of my favorites.

Karyn1. Oh, okay.

I agree..often, labels, especially species are wrong..Local stores are worse..Sometimes it's the senders fault, but customers are terrible, too.
    They'll lift a tag, read, then place in a different plant. When I worked at HD it happened a lot.

I have a favor to ask. The Begonia I ordered from Logee's, 'Curly' Fire Flush, looks more like Fire Flush...maybe it's me. I'd like to hear others' opinions..Thanks.

Don't know if this can be done..but I'll try..

http://www.logees.com/Begonia-Fireflush-Begonia-Rex-hybrid/productinfo/B3005-2/

Here is a link that might be useful: RE: New Arrivals

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    11 years ago
  • greenlarry
    11 years ago

Toni, I cant get gardenwatchdog to load, whats the URL?

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Larry, I've been having the same problem. Thought it was my computer. Guess not.

The url is gardenwatchdog dot com. The dot is a period..
    I believe GW doesn't allow websites typed out anymore..

What I've been doing is, instead of typing the url, I Google garden watchdog. It's usually the first site on the page after hitting Enter. Then click on that GWD link.

Give it a try...Toni

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

GW doesn't allow links anymore? Well Im sure it did the other day...

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Watchdog

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    11 years ago

Congratulations on the lovely new plants, Toni. About the links not being allowed any more, has Garden Web changed owners or something? It just doesn't seem the same as the old Garden Web. I had a problem and wrote to them ages ago, and received no reply whatsoever. Even some of the forums now seem hardly visited, there certainly seems to be something different from the dear old Garden Web I visited over the years. Or is it just me? Having said which, being able to post a photo easily is a great innovation.
    On your begonia, Toni, are they aerial roots or is it string?

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Yea Id love a proper House Plants forum, GW is good but its a pain to keep track of stuff. Mind you I've not tried the Clippings feature yet...

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Am curious GL, what a what's a 'proper houseplant forum'? I've been on here over 10 yrs. & it seems just fine.

I don't use the clippings feature, but that's cause I haven't needed it.

Until recently, I used to copy/paste relevant things into Word files so I could keep them more easily. The search feature works pretty well to me.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

I mean a forum thats laid out properly, with subjects, avatars, proper email notifications that work etc.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

So beautiful and lucky you Toni!

You got just the ones I would of. Now, to find a place for them, right?

Mike

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I forgot this thread existed..

Larry, did you try typing garden watchdog in your Search Engine?

Marguerite...Hi! How are you?

I think IVillage bought GW from Spike, but don't know if IVillage resold...
    Yep, the good, old days!! Like everything else, memories.

The Begonia is stuffed with shredded, fine paper for shipping.

Have you added new plants?

Thanks Marg.

Larry, I don't even know what the feature, 'clipping,' is..lol. Only clippings I'm familar with are cuttings.

Mike, thank you..You won't believe it, but so far plants are fitting. lol..it's the trees, Gardenia, D. Marginata, and Cinnamon that's going to be a problem. Think my Cinnamon will go in the gh..strange, but it grows faster in cold temps than warm..I don't understand.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

I did try gardenwatchdog. It wouldn't load the page, willl try again

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Toni, , do you mean the one thats part of Dave's Garden? Im sort of a member of DG, or was..
    I cant post a link as GW thinks its spam!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Toni!!

Just wanted to say that you picked some beautiful plants!!

Love them all!!

I will say that i have a few Plumeria coming soon... i said that i was done.. ;-) But, you know how that goes!!

Take care and great finds!!

Laura