Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mandevilla question

Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 21, 11 at 12:04

I don't know if I'm on the right forum or not. I've tried growing them before but mine just dried up and died. Now I have seen one that was trained into a standard and would like to try my hand at that. I think my sunroom may have been to dry and that was partly why it dried up. Any mandevilla experts out there? Any advice? Marg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mandevilla question

Aren't they a kind of Orchid? If so, I'd try the Orchid Forum. If not, than I'm sorry, I don't know the plant in question.

o

Formerly known as Dipladenia. It will likely go dormant (and become easy to overwater in that state.) Maybe your plant was just dormant. The first few I threw out years ago had live-looking roots, and at the time I didn't know tropical plants could be deciduous and figured it was dead if all the leaves fell off.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 21, 11 at 16:40

I've grown them in containers & don't even try to keep them pushing growth over winter. I leave them outdoors until it freezes & they lose their leaves, then bring them into a cool basement where they snooze away the winter. I only give them enough water to keep roots from drying completely. In spring, when increasing day length tells them to wake up, I cut the bottom half of the root mass off, bare root what's left & cut the fat roots out of that, then repot into a fast-draining, well-aerated soil, and fertilize when they start to show signs of wanting to grow in earnest.

Al

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 21, 11 at 19:32

Purpleinopp: the stalk on mine was dried and brown. The roots weren't healthy looking either so I thought it was dead. Didn't realize they went dormant, I'll have to remember that.

tapla: I don't have a basement but I could leave it in our unheated porch. It doesn't go below freezing in there.

Thanks for the advice. Marg

o

No definitely not an orchid, Pirate girl. I think you were thinking of Masdevallia.

IME, they are not easy plants to keep growing over the winter, and they are very prone to spidermites and mealie bugs. Al's suggestion is the best way to go. Your porch may work. Cut the sucker back hard and let it get quite dry -- chilly wet soil will rot the roots out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here