Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdsnblooms

Where do SPIDERS go?

birdsnblooms
11 years ago

This question is very important...well, to me. :)

When plants are brought indoors in autumn, or when temps are above 50F, every so often a spider or insect will hide between foliage, usually weaving a web as an indication of their presence.

I notice, plants hauled indoors after being outside in temps 40F or lower, are w/o insects..Or are they?

Where do spiders go when temps drop? Do they dig and hide under soil or exit a plant and go elsewhere?

What about house plant insects? If an indoor plant had mites, mealy or scale when brought outside in spring, then left out in the cold, will they die?

Toni

Comments (131)

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Larry...I too would like to see your Spider pics..as long as it's not in person..lol.

Asleep. What did you botch?

I haven't seen Jumping Spiders since childhood. In Chicago.. Are they extinct in some states?

• asleep_in_the_garden
    11 years ago

just thought i had cleaned the copying and pasting up a little more than i actually had.

no matter i suppose i imagine the gist of it is there(assuming anyone even reads it lol).

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Attached is a picture of a large orb weaver quite common to warmer parts of the SE. They would construct huge, strong webs from tree trunk to tree trunk....or post to post on your porch. When I say huge........I mean HUGE. The spider is enormous, as well, but I have to say that they are very well behaved, as they stay IN their webs and don't roam around freely. They are commonly called ' Banana Spiders', but they would be more correctly called the Golden Silk Spider.

Purple has probably seen them down where she lives. I used to some across them frequently in SC, but I live too far north for them, now.

Toni...open the attached link with caution.

Here is a link that might be useful: Golden Silk Spider

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rhizo..I swear, you're funny..Toni open w/caution..lolol

For some reason when I clicked the link it wouldn't open. So, I Googled Golden Silk Spider.

Although, some are colorful, even pretty, I'd pass out. Looking at the pics gives me chills.

Check these two out. I think one is the dead spider my grand-parents found in a banana.

BTW, anyone know where bananas are shipped from and to US?

Here is a link that might be useful: RE: Where do SPIDERS go?

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lohttp://www.shadygrovetrainingcenter.com/wildlife/bannana_spider_photo_gallery.html, gonna try again..lolol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_wandering_spider

For some reason, when I copy and paste in the URL, it comes up Where do spiders go?

Google banana spider..click on Wiki. Then click on Argiope and Brazillian Wandering Spider.

Way too many spiders.

• flowerpottipper
    11 years ago

hopefulauhor,

I have no idea what they fed my degus, I just found some stem pieces in their cage (and this was before I got into plants), and I figured that is what happened since they love to eat flowers. I use to grow dandelions (so they wouldnt have chemicals on it) and feed it to them when the flowers where still yellow. So I think my kid's friend thought that they must love ALL flowers...if I had know I would of told the not to feed the degus any plants or food (Degus are known to get diabetic VERY easily, so they have a VERY strict diet)...I miss them so much, my three little sisters: Priscilla, Aster, and Shorty (Shorty was missing half of her tail so I got her for free)...if I ever find them for sale again, I defiently will buy them again.

kryn1-

Degus are not actually rodents, they're in the same family as kanagroos, I guess they may resemble gerbels some, but way cuter and WAY smarter.

Do you have any warnings about chinchillas for me? are males or females better/friendlier? stinky? (I know male guinea pigs are more stinky then females, but males are more cuddly). Are they known to bite?

-FPT

Here's a pic of my degus before they died, who loved to sleep squished together in their 'small' food bowl (they are social animals, and they recommend always having two or more or they get depressed)-

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Saw this giant guy yesterday. Don't think it's the same as the last one I posted but similar.

• karyn1
    11 years ago

My male and female chinchillas are equally friendly. They need quite a bit of handling to become "tame". They aren't aggressive but can run and jump like an olympian. The handling makes it so you can sit and cuddle them without them taking off. I'd start with a baby. They are well developed at birth, like guinea pigs, but do nurse and aren't weaned until about 12 weeks. Here's a pair of 2 day old chins. There's usually 2 in a litter but I have had 3. It can be a problem because the females only have 2 teats and one baby usually ends up needing supplemental feedings.

{{gwi:106323}}
    {{gwi:106326}}

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Ah, spiders... a most unholy subject, if you're anything like me! I hate spiders! I despise them! I don't like how they look, how they feel when they crawl on me, how fast they can run, the places they can hide, or the fact that some can be very dangerous... if they bite you!

With that said, I usually scream first, then ask my husband to remove the spider from indoors, and place it in the garden somewhere... where I know it can be of benefit.

Here in Central Illinois, we have all manner of spiders... big ones, small ones, fuzzy ones, ugly ones, colorful ones, and a couple that can be dangerous if they bite humans. Some people call them fiddler spiders, but I believe the more proper term is brown recluse. There is also another, more aggressive spider called the hobo spider. This one is also dangerous if it bites. Both of these spider types can cause massive and ugly damage to tissue, some requiring skin grafts or amputations, depending upon severity and other factors.

I make it a habit to wear gloves and shoes whenever out in the yard, or working in the gardens. I never reach into dark spaces without gloves on. I make it habit to shake out any clothing or shoes that have been put away and not worn for quite some time.

Unless you already live in an area known for venomous creatures, like scorpions and rattle snakes and the like, you wouldn't necessarily make a concerted effort to delve into any information on this sort of thing... but it's a handy thing to know. The Midwest is generally not known for poisonous creatures... but we do have two very nasty spiders that have taken up residence, and we, as gardeners, should be aware of them, and the dangers they present.

And as our earth warms and climates change, which they are, such creatures will begin moving into otherwise uninhabited areas.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Morning Everyone,

Asleep...did you post a spider link?

FPT...The boy was trying to be helpful, and thought feeding your degus amusing..with no intention of hurting them.
    In the future, tell the boy, 'HANDS OFF MY PETS AND PLANTS.'

Aww, they're so cute..they look like bunny rabbits. I would like to cuddle a degus. I'm sorry you lost your little ones, FPT.

They're known to be diabetic...It must take a lot of research feeding them the proper foods. Especially plants.

Do they eat the entire Dandelion or parts? Interesting.

Purple..Colorful, but still frightening. Too close to the building..what if it goes inside your house? Time for hubby's shoe. Or brick..whichever is larger.

Karen..your Chinchillas are also adorable..AWW..Do you keep them on your lap while watching tv?

2 teats? I feel bad if there happens to be three or more babies.

Jodik..I'm with you.

Don't forget we also have Black Widows. Poisonous or not, I wouldn't want one on or even near me.

I've never seen a Hobo...don't think so anyway..There's a good number of spiders in IL,..All I can ID is Daddy-long-legs, and I don't want them nearby, no matter how innocent they're said to be.

Although, not related, centipeded/milipedes terrify me, too..their 5" plus bodies with a zillion long legs..Oh God in heaven..whey do they exist?

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

OK guys, here's one of them. This is technically my daughter's Chile rose tarantula she named Pip

{{gwi:106327}}

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

And heres a Mexican White Knee called Eagle

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Lets try Pip again...

11 years ago

Purple, that's the pretty Argiope aurantia, called the black and yellow garden spider (among other common names) . She is another of the spiders that create large, elaborate webs in which to nab flying insects.

It's always female spiders that make the webs and work hard for their keep. The males of orb weavers are very small, usually hanging around the perimeters of the web...well out of the way of the female. Sounds like they've got the right idea, huh?

That's one of the most common of all spiders. And, Toni, they are not remotely interested in entering our homes.

Jodik, I can't find any reputable resource that verifies the presence of hobo spiders in the mid west. Brown recluse.....yes. Hobo? I'm not so sure about that one.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OMG, Larry...Eagle and Pip live in your house? Are they caged and do you let them walk around? Lift them, cuddle?

I can't make out what Eagle is or looks like..what are those white thingys? lol.

Years ago, I watched a documetary about Tarantulas. The narrator said tarantulas were venomous so poisonous fluid is removed before being sold as pets. Is this true?
    Are your de-venomed..my own word. :)

Rhizo, lol, 'sounds like they have the right idea.' lol

Rhizo, please explain your theory to the spiders that move in my house. Tell them they should be outdoors, not in the stairway entering the basement. lol.

My spiders are dumb..they must not have read 'Spiders for Dummies.'

11 years ago

If there are spiders in the house, there must be a food source. That's what I'd investigate.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Toni, those white things are its knees- it gives it its common name, Mexican White Knee . And yes they are in tanks, in our bedroom so the cats dont harass them. I have handled them , so has my young daughter, but I dont like to handle them- its not good for them
    As for devenoming, you can milk them for venom but not completely devenom them, and I wouldnt dream of doing so- they wouldnt be able to kill their prey!

11 years ago

Larry, those spiders are awesome. Even I have chills all over! Tell me, I can't tell if Pip is coming or going; where's the front of him?

Toni, some species of spiders are happy to come in for the winter. I find them in my home once in awhile. I think that they are looking for an improved environment, escaping from the cold or excess heat.

Once we resealed our doors and put in a new storm door, the spider traffic almost ceased entirely. They come inside because they CAN.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Rhizo, lol Pip's butt is top left. She had just molted so was all bunched up.
    Heres a shot Katie took:

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

I hadn't heard the name Degus before so I checked, they are a rodent.

Octodon degus
    Class: Mammalia - mammals
    Order: Rodentia - rodents
    Family: Octodontidae - degus, rock rats, and viscacha rats
    Genus: Octodon

Toni, parrots generally do a lot of damage to crops (and to buildings). But I've never heard of Cockatiels being a problem. The Sulphur-crested White Cockatoos occur in flocks of thousands down south and when they descend on fields of crops they do destroy a lot. It's illegal to kill them, but it does happen. In the tropics they never get around in large numbers, usually not even a dozen together. But they do get into my Mangoes, along with the Red-winged Parrots, Northern Rosellas and Collared Lorikeets. I also get the Red-tailed Black Cockatoos and Galahs, but they seem to only ever eat seeds and not fruit.

Larry, you may have heard about the new Tarantula species (Selenotholus sp) they found in Arnhem Land, they're going to try and breed and sell them. This is an article about it you might find interesting:
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2010-11-26/arnhem-land-tarantulas/2603884

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Hmm, wheres Arnhem Land? To be honest Id rather they stayed in the wild, too many wild caught specimens sold as pets these days, I dont agree with that, and once mine are gone I wont be getting any more!

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mornng,

Purple, what could the food source be? Spiders are mainly on the stairway and basement where it's pretty dark..no food lying around.

Larry..I assumed as much, but didn't know spiders had knees.

Why is handling not good for them? Handling wouldn't be good for me, but don't know about spiders.
    Of course, handling wouldn't be good for a spider if it was on me. lol.

So, how do devenomized spiders eat? Do all have to catch prey in order to eat?

Rhizo. I guess..they seem to hang around more during winter. During summer they live in mY PLANTS!

When you said, 'because they can,' it reminded me of the old joke, 'why do dogs lick their, xxxxx? Because they can. lol.

Lord, Larry..you spider is big and hairy. Since he/she contains some venom, the few times you or your daughter lift him/her, are you not afraid he/she will bite?
    Do you think he/she recognizes you and your daughter?

Tropic...I should have bought the darn DVD when PBS had it on sale.
    I taped it on a VHS tape, but the qualitity was poor. Don't know it I kept it, but I'll check around to get the name.
    A well-done documentary.

Yeah, poor Cockatiels..

In the documentary, people in Australia kept Cockatoos as pets..Very intelligent 'toos. One woman taught her 'too to play ball..very touching.

One part was terribly sad..They showed a mental institution for emotionally ill birds. Birds that had been caged most of their lives. Left in a basement all alone. These birds made the same movements repeatedly, and most were bare..no feathers..they chewed feathers out of boredom. I feel like crying thinking about it.

Why the hell do people buy pets then ignore them??

Wow, Australia sure has beautiful birds. I can only dream of Cockatoos, Red-Wing Parrots, Rosellas, and Lorikeets flying around...
    I thought Lorikeets only fed on flowers?? Nectar? How destructive can they be?
    How do birds destroy buildings? lol. I can see why they bother crops..FOOD. Survival.

I thought Black 'toos were a hybrid? Maybe we're talking different birds.

I've never heard of Galahs..have to look it up. Thanks.

Larry, I know what you mean..some wildlife needs to be free instead of confined to a cage/home..the great outdoors, flying/walking/hopping around.
    Too many people adopt pets, than either get bored and neglect or toss them outside..in places they cannot exist.
    Sometimes sell them.

Macaws are a bird 'most; people shouldn't have. Blue & Golds, Hyacinths. Most people assume they're going to breed these birds, make a huge profit, but have problems finding homes for the babies.

11 years ago

Spiders aren't looking for "food laying around " but for prey. If spiders are able to get inside, so are the crawly things they eat.

11 years ago

Ya, in a basement there could be centipedes, pill bugs, silverfish, other moisture-loving crawly things. Those are the things I used to see most often though, in basement up north.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Toni, spiders, particularly tarantulas, have very poor eyesight. They cant see us, are unaware we are here! They hunt their prey by detecting movement, thus they can only eat live prey. Including carelessly placed fingers, lol

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Toni, parrots are social birds, they need company. People will do as a substitute for normal company, but they need a lot of attention. Out in the wild they groom one another and play around like cats and dogs, rolling around on the ground or hanging under branches. Left alone would be a traumatic experience for them. Some friends left a Galah (a type of Cockatoo) for me to look after while they were away. Name was Chico. He was upset about being left behind and sulked and became 'bitey'. Knowing the personalities of parrots I went off to work in the garden and left him on his own. Within about 10 minutes he was calling out to me. So I took him out of his cage and he followed me around the garden while I worked. Lesson learned, he couldn't stand the solitude in unfamiliar surroundings and had to back down. I also fed my friends' dogs at their place so I'd put Chico on the backrest of the car seat and drove there. He'd wander around at his home while I fed the dogs and then would come back to my place without any protest.

There are about 4 species of Black Cockatoo, Red-tailed, White-tailed, Yellow-tailed, and Glossy Black. Lorikeets like the nectar in flowers but also sweet fruit. Cockatoos will eat seed, fruit and also chew into wood to get grubs. This is where they chew into exposed wood in houses and when hundreds of them are doing it the damage can be quite extensive.

Larry, Arnhem Land is in the Northern Territory. These were in a small area of extremely dense population (for Tarantulas) and the worry was that they'd be collected out of existence. So that's where they thought that by breeding them and making them readily available, there wouldn't be any incentive for poachers.

• karyn1
    11 years ago

Larry they are beautiful. Can you handle them or are the hairs too irritating? I've heard that some have hairs that dislodge very easily and others not so much.

• flowerpottipper
    11 years ago

I use to have an Giant African millipede, male, had 124 legs, about 6-7 inches long...he was so awesome...millipedes don't bite or sting but they can excrete some weird orange poison out of pores on their sides...but my millipede never did this to me but I could see his pores. I really miss him also...I had pics somewhere but I cant find them anywhere, I think it's on my older computer.

The only thing weird and creepy about the millipede I had was that they have mites living on them..and you can see them running around their bodies...I guess the mites keep the millipede's legs clean and in return the millipede gave them transportation lol.

If I ever find another one, I will buy it!

-FPT

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rhizo..Wonder what type of insects, basement spiders happen to find?
    The washer and dryer are in the basement. I never see bugs walking/flying around.
    I should get the hose, and spray the entire basement. lol.

Purple..every so often, I see either milipedes or centipedes. Can't remember which is which..The larger types. 4-plus inches with a trillion legs..Yuck.
    Can an average spider eat a 'pede?

Larry..I didn't know spiders had poor eyesight. Since sensing is the case, no wonder they run...While tending to the garden, spiders hide behind plants..When pulling weeds close to the house, there's always a spider or two living within the weeds. Before I start plucking, 'gloved hands,' the spider runs for his/her life.

Including carelessly placed fingers..lol..
    Main reason I wear thick garden gloves..lol

Tropic. Yep, I know the routine. We've had birds a long time.
    Ironically we adopted a Lory and named him Chico..Funny.
    When we took him in, we had no idea he needed nectar instead of seed.
    Chico was an older bird, very unfriendly..After a few months, not to mention cost of food, (near 100.00 for 2-months supply) we had to bring him back.
    You would think the seller would inform the buyer of small details like feeding requirements!

BTW, we had a Catalina Macaw a little over 21-yrs. Surgically sexed male, but we named him Zelda..
    We adopted Zelda when he was a baby. He was fantastic, got a LOT of attention.
    When he turned 18 or so, he turned violent. Against me of all people. I fed, played and trained him. He too went for car rides and walks.
    He stopped eating so we took him to an avian vet.
    The vet explained he was attempting to bond with me, believed he owned me, very jealous, which was the reason he attacked.

He'd grow angry when I neared our son.

Zelda had a cage and large stand. He figured out how to unlock his cage at night.
    He'd walk upstairs to the bedroom, then attack me while I was asleep.
    Each day I'd wake with blood...either my foot or hands. One time while holding him, he grabbed my face, wouldn't let go. I spun around so he'd release me, but he wouldn't.
    I finally had to knock him off...gently, but firm enough he let go.
    At 21-yrs, it got to the point his attacks were a daily thing. I couldn't walk across the room w/o him being a bully.
    An elderly man who loved Zelda ended up adopting him. I cried for months..why would a bird I raised turn against me? All types of thoughts went through my mind.
    A second macaw was out of the question. He ate the healthiest foods, plenty of love and attention.

I agreed to give Zelda to this man when he bit the area between my toes. To this day, my toes are split..looks like a V..Guess he broke something that never set back.

Did you clip your Chico's wings?

I agree, birds do not enjoy being left alone..they need companionship, be it another bird or person. Once they bond with a human, you're theirs for life.

Do you have birds now? Or is looking out the window, viewing 'toos, 'keets and 'tiels flying by enough? ")

FPT..never heard anyone keeping a super-duper 'pede as a pet..lol.

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Personally, I can't even imagine having a spider as a pet! I can't even imagine keeping snakes or other odd creatures... but then, I'm a dog lover. :-)

My little creatures... my Olde Bulldogges, Rosie, Maia, and Huck... are enough for me! We keep a breeding pair in the kennel, though we've retired from the field... and a companion female in the house. Those three are enough for me. :-)

When the kids were young, they kept all manner of small reptiles, larger snakes, and other assorted critters as pets... I was a lot younger then, and I could deal with the occasional escapee! Not now! No way!

Spiders are useful critters, to be sure... as long as they stay outside in the gardens, I'm happy!

I know some folks like the more unusual pets... and I say, more power to ya! As lovely as they may be... they still make my skin crawl. :-)

• flowerpottipper
    11 years ago

I thought I should announce that I've figured out where spiders are going right now:

My home!!

I keep findng way too many spiders in my home this past week. I'm pretty sure that they probably came in with the plants, even though I sprayed the plants really good..and these are biting spiders (hobo and yellow-sack)...I'm worried about my children and/or dogs or me getting bitten.

I wish I could bug bomb but that's a very bad idea (no way I could fit all my plants and guinea pig cage in my minivan lol. Plus I've heard that bug bombs for spiders are a very bad idea, I guess they bring in bigger spiders).

It's gotten so bad, that my daughter makes me shake out her bed sheets and blankets every night before bed (sometimes in the middle of the night if she wakes up), and do ceiling checks for hanging spiders...I keep finding like 3-5 spiders a day, I usually find that many in a month...I keep the vacume cleaner ready to suck them up with the hose and I spray poison in the vacume, it works good enough for now...maybe I should start charging them rent...

-FPT

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jodik..how are you?

BTW, I'm with you.

More power to those who keep spiders and other crawly creatures as pets.

Just the thought of it gives me goose bumps.

I won't allow snakes in the house either. My son wanted a snake..I said, if you get a snake, you and the snake are out!'
    Bad enough he has a massive Iguana that loves nibbling plants, sneaks in my bedroom, climbs up to the window.
    It's okay during summer when plants are outside, but windows/shelves are filled w/plants..Iggy made two messes since plants were brought indoors.

I love moving shelves filled w/plants, adding extra mediums that fell on carpet, sills, walls and bed. NOT!

BTW, I'm not afraid of Iggy, 'iguana.' Creepy-crawlers are another story.

FPT. lol. Charge rent.

That's the reason I first hose outside, then after bringing plants inside, rehose in sink..'small to medium size plants.'
    Large plants won't fit in the sink, so they only get a very thorough hosing.
    Even after hosing, some spiders hide between leaves..especially compact leaves.

Your poor daughter..I don't blame her for checking bed clothing and ceilings.

3-5 spiders per day is a LOT! Is there a certain room/area they congregate?

Purple and Rhizo said, spiders are seeking prey..do you find smaller insects indoors, too?

FPT..don't use poisons/bombs..Unless you, your family and pets have a place to stay a week or two. Same w/exterminating.

I normally do not spray..'worried about birds.'
    Two rooms away from birds area, I once sprayed a wall where spiders lingered. What a mistake! An hour or so after spraying, it seemed every spider in IL joined the club..I'd never seen anything like it.
    I wonder if poison 'scent?' attracks spiders. I felt I was in a horror movie.

Chemicals/poisons are not good to breath. Even if you wear a mask, chemicals can absorb through pores.
    As much as I detest spiders, I don't like spraying. Raid/Black Flag, etc.

However, the safest spray is plain, old, vinegar. Vinegar is non-toxic and does the job. Kills ants, too.

Nowadays I buy 4-5 gallons a year. Not for salads..lol.

Although I don't recommend doing this..a month before hauling plants indoors, I watered each and every plant with vinegar and water.

Don't know if it worked, but this year, I only found a few spiders living between leaves..'after hosing.'

Before bombing your home, try vinegar..Toni

11 years ago

Vinegar is widely (but incorrectly IMO, but that's a tangent) used as weed killer. I wouldn't put it on my plants.

FPT, are you able (temperature-wise) to take plants outside and submerge the soil in a tub of water? I know you have quite a few of them, and you're up there in the cold... and it sounds like they've already escaped the pots. Next year, you may want to try it. Spiders can't hold their breath. They will drown or come out. I don't know your spiders, but it may help you to fight them if you know thy enemy better. I'd be fighting back too! Good luck!!

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Toni, I was only looking after Chico. He was actually a rescued bird. Probably a car accident, he was found with a badly broken wing. When taken in to the vet they said the wing was beyond repair and that'd he'd never be able to fly again. That friend of mine does wildlife rescue, so she took him in permanently. Usually when rescued animals are healed they're released back to the wild. Not practical for Chico.

Many birds are just gregarious, but parrots particularly are actually social and need company rather than numbers around them.

As a kid I often got into trouble for keeping snakes in the house. My parents agreed to keeping them outside, but now and then one of mine would get out of my room and knock things over. I'd get this bellowing call, "You've got another snake in the house!" I don't know, some people are just so unreasonable, LOL.

Speaking about millipedes, this is one I found in Papua New Guinea a couple of years ago. I also found an all black one a little larger.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Toni, you cant devenom a spider, it would be unable to eat and then die! You can milk them for venom tho.
    And handling isnt good for them because the heat of our hand is like a furnace to them, plus if they fall they can easily be injured and die. A tarantula is a relatively heavy spider and its butt end is attached to its head end by a very thin membrane which can break easily. Also if they get on the floor they cant walk on carpet because of the tiny hooks in their feet which are like velcro.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Howdy,

Purple. Some people add vinegar religiously, vow it does wonders for their green plants, others rather not take a chance.

I usually add vinegar in soil for acidic-loving plants..Gardenia, ferns, etc.
    This summer, before hauling plants in, I vinegar'd every plant in hopes ants would die.

It's frustrating watching ants walk out of soil no matter how much soaking and dipping is done.

The vinegar was added about a month back..so far, no harm done.

Tropic. It's nice of your friends to adopt Chico. I'm certain they'll be one, happy family.

Poor Chico..broken wing..They couldn't add a splint? sp.
    Or some device Chico couldn't tear off.
    How's he doing now?

I temporarily forgot your location, thinking, Chico would never make it outside.. In IL!!

Even in a tropical climate, he wouldn't have a chance since he can no longer fly..How sad.

The strange thing is Zelda wasn't gregarious. He was a ham, entertained us and strangers..IMO, he was a bit passive..that is until he reached sexual maturity, starting ripping paper to build a nest..and guess who he chose as a mate..lol.

Some people are so unreasonable..ROFL.

What type of snakes did you bring home? URG!
    As a lenient parent, I allowed Michael, 'son' to bring home different pets, but snakes was a no-no.

One time he brought home a water turtle..they bite. We kept the turtle, but after Michael got bored, 'which irked me, spending so much for live food, plus care,' we brought Mr. Turtle back to the lagoon he was found.

Tropic, although the millipede is colorful, HOW IN THE WORLD ARE YOU TOUCHING IT? LOL..Oh God...
    Did you lift the black larger millipede, too?

Do centipedes have longer legs? About 10000000 inches long?

Larry..how is a spider milked? I'm sure it's not like milking a cow.. Unless it has teats..lol.

Seriously, how is it done?

I never noticed a membrane between head and butt. Many moons ago, a pet store in Chicago sold tarantulas..each was in individual glass bulbs.
    Of what I remember, it looked like a regular spider, only fuzzy and a LOT larger.
    Of course, I looked at it one millisecond, so maybe I missed what you're describing.

To be honest, I don't like seeing bugs, fish, etc, 'Bettas' in tiny homes. Nowhere to move..I think it's inhumane.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Toni, im not sure how its done but treatment centres have anti venom on hold in case of an envenomation (someone gets bit)
    And the membrane is called the pedicel, all spiders posess it.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Toni, im not sure how its done but treatment centres have anti venom on hold in case of an envenomation (someone gets bit)

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Is that an echo I 'hear'?? :)

I wonder if these centers are in places tarantulas don't inhabit.
    For instance, if there's any tarantulas here, it's somebody's pet; they don't roam around IL.

As for the Recluse Spider, I doubt they have an anti-venom. Docs prescribe antibiotics, but there are people who have to take more than one type before it kills the infection.

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Actually, I learned that spiders enter our homes for a few reasons...

1. Warmth in winter.
    2. Humans keep lights on in the evenings, and bugs are attracted, thus meals for spiders.
    3. Insects, both crawling and flying, make their way into our homes for warmth and food sources... and spiders follow, because insects are their meals.

So, they may not be coming in with your plants... they may just be coming in. Don't forget that most spiders, insects, and rodents can find their way inside almost every home, whether old or new. There are tiny cracks and openings everywhere.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Toni, those friends have a lot of animals, apart from Chico, poultry and their dogs. Each of their 2 kids has a lizard, one a Blue-tongue Lizard, the other a Bearded Dragon. They also have some Childrens Pythons and a Northern Long-neck Turtle. Until recently they also had a Freshwater Crocodile. But she regularly takes in injured wildlife (there's a volunteer organisation which coordinates that) and then releases them when they're healed.

I only have 2 Northern Long-necked Turtles. Only took them in when we were invaded by feral Cane Toads. The turtles are very vulnerable to their toxins. So I constructed a pen with ponds inside, landscaped a little (for my own benefit, the turtles couldn't care). They have fish in the ponds and I feed them as well. Toads can't get into the pen. Other than that all "my" other animals are wild and just let me share the place with them. More like I'm their pet, or just that "other large animal" they ignore or put up with. The Butcherbirds come into the house for a feed, so I know they definitely want me to stay.

Millipedes? They're harmless, too busy concentrating on keeping all their feet in step. With the snakes, I guess I did bring too many venemous ones back, but most of the ones around there were that. The biggest was a Carpet Python just over 2 metres long, beautiful snake. Brought it home in a box and in the kitchen announced I had something. My father immediately said, "It's a snake!" (Why did people always think I was so easily predictable????) I just replied, "Just wait and see." Anyway, the head came out, and then the body started coming out, and kept coming out. They were all impressed. Just had different ways of expressing it, LOL.

Milking spiders is simpler than you might imagine. They aggravate the spider which gets it's venom ready to inject in self defence. The venom beads up at the ends of the fangs like droplets. A pipette, or eye-dropper type of instrument is used to suck up the venom. You need quite a lot of spiders to fill a milk bottle, LOL.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Id love one of those giant millipedes as a pet, so cool. Or even a centipede. The big ones are ferocious predators a foot long!

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jodik...For some reason, I find spiders on the stairway to the basement.
    Where it's dark.
    There's a closet at the bottom where Christmas and Halloween decorations are stored. The spiders love it down there. I'm afraid to remove ornaments for fear a spider will be in a box..lol

On the other hand, in our front plant room, where it's bright, spiders make webs behind a large shelf, usually wall corners. I don't know if they're spider webs or or cobwebs..are they the same? Once in a while a baby spider is hidden in the corner walls.
    It's hard cleaning behind the shelf since there's very little space. The shelf is wide, about 2" from one side of the wall across to the other.

Oh God, yes, this old house has many openings. Far too many. If I knew how to fix them I would.

My brother lives in a secured Condo..last summer a bat somehow got inside. They believe it snuck in through their exhaust fan.

Tropic..your friends are very kind-hearted. They'll be rewarded.

We have a couple rescue shelters that take in injured wildlife..This organization nurses wounded animals then releases them in the forest/wooded areas after they're healed.

How big was the crocodile?

I don't know what feral Cane Toads are. Does Cane Toad look like most other toads? Warty, etc.
    Do toads bite? Is biting how toads attack turtles and get venom inside their system?

The pen you constructed is inside your house? Wow..Cool. lol.
    Have a picture?
    LOL, turtle couldn't care less about your landscaping.

Do Cane Toads live inside your house, too? If so, how do you keep them from entering the pen?

Lol, wildlife allows you to live in 'their' home. lol.

I'll have to Google, Butcherbirds. Never heard the type. Why are they called Butcherbirds? A name that includes butcher, well, these birds don't sound very friendly. lol.

Millipedes might be harmless in the way of venom, but if a huge 'pede crawled on me I'd pass out. Oh, getting goose bumps thinking about it. lol.

Although Carpet Python is colorful, beautiful in fact, I could do without..lol. Spying a CS at the zoo would be fine, but not living in the house.

Tropic, what's with the snakes? If you don't mind me asking.

Milking spiders..when a spider is going to be milked, espeially after agitating him/her, how does the milker near the spider w/o getting bit? Very dangerous career if you ask me..hope milkers have sufficient health care.

Larry..Go to Nam..you'll find two-foot pedes. My dh was in VN..they came across a 2' 'pede. Don't know if it was a millipede or centipede, only that it was huge.
    Dh said, although the body was 2', its legs were about 4-inches.

Where does one keep a 'pede that big? lol. Toni

Yuck..the delivery spider truck driver delivers a quart of leggy creatures. lol.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

Toni, with the amount of traffic on toads these days a lot of wildlife ends up injured or dead. But I did have a funny incident in relation to wildlife rescue. I found a Collared Lorikeet lying on the ground at my place, still alive but semi conscious. There's no fast road near my place (my road is dirt, not sealed) so a collision was unlikely and besides there wasn't any physical sign of damage. Anyway, I took it to the nearby wildlife park where they had a vet. The vet checked the bird over and announced it was drunk. Being late in the mango season a lot of fruit knocked down by all the animals (birds, possums, flying foxes, etc.) was fermenting on the ground. This Lorikeet must have fed on some of those, got very drunk and passed out. So they let it sleep it off and released it next day

My friends crocodile was about 1 metre long. You need special permits to keep crocs here, and the authorities check that the housing (pen) is adequate and secure.

Cane Toads are part of the food chain but their eggs, their tadpoles, the toadlets, and the adults are poisonous. Anything that tries to eat them dies, and they eat anything that will fit in their mouths. A female toad lays about 30,000 to 40,000 eggs, they just swamp the environment.

The turtle pen is OUTSIDE the house. It's the pond that's inside the pen. So no turtles in my house, and no cane toads either.

I guess snakes are so easy to keep, and there were always so many around. Also I liked most animals, snakes were just one kind.

Milking spiders isn't such a big issue. They're very small and easily controlled. The spiders behave defensively so they're unlikely to pull any tricks.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Toni, butcher birds are Shrikes. They catch their prey then impale it on a thorn. I did a drawing of one once.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

There you go Toni, my drawing of a Great Grey Shrike. Not from the wild as theyre not very common in England.

{{gwi:106336}}

11 years ago

Hey Larry, that's a great drawing!

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Morning,

Tropic..how funny about the drunk Lorikeet. Wonder if the little guy woke w/a hang-over.

Mango wine, huh? How long do mangos sit before fermenting?
    A Dom Perignon for birds. lol

Yep, we need permits here, to keep wildlife or exotic animals.
    Some people keep Chimps or Ocelots. Illegally, of course.
    Especially in the county we live. Other county's are a little more lenient.

When I was a child, 5-6-yrs old, my father brought home a baby, 'don't know if it was a 'gator or crocodile. It was kept in a, of all things, pickle barrel.
    Don't know the reason he brought it home, 'maybe to aggravate my mother, lol, but we only had him/her a short time.
    The little guy/girl bit my father..that I remember..lol.

I read a little on Cane Toads. Said they were brought to Australia to devour/kill Cane Beetles. Cane Beetles are destructive/devour sugar cane...
    Suiting name for toads and beetles.

40,000 eggs! I wonder how many toad babies survive.

Snakes may be easy to keep, but I wouldn't want to feed pets, living or dead animals. Rats..yuck. Alive or frozen.
    I used to breed fish. Feeding live Brine Shrimp wasn't a problem, considering meals were on a much smaller scale..lol.

Professional Milker's know what they're doing, otherwise there would be some serious injuries.
    And they CANNOT fear spiders/pedes.lol.

Larry. I did a little reading on Shrikes, too..they're such pretty birds.

Larry, did you draw the Shrike picture?
    If so, your very talented. Quite artistic. A realistic likeness of a Shrike.
    Did you use a charcoal pencil?

To top if off, you figured how to post a picture on GW.
    So unlike my !!! Jade pics..lol.

BTW, I read how Shrikes capture prey on a thorn..What happens if there aren't thorns around? Do they carry prey to the nearest thorn or hang around areas thorns are likely to be?

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Thanks Rhizo, Toni.
    Yes I drew that, with a full set of pencils, many years ago! I used to draw a lot, cant do it anymore...
    Toni, I figured out how to post a pic? Ive been doing that since 2003, lol