Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
re: Pothos the Plant = Scindapsus?

Posted by eahamel 9a (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 14, 12 at 12:10

That thread is getting pretty long, and my question will take it farther afield. This plant is labeled Scindapsus N/Joy. Isn't it the same as the Pothos?

(the green thing curving at the bottom of the pic is a Sanseveria cylindrica that I've been hauling around since about 1973.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: re: Pothos the Plant = Scindapsus?

oops, forgot to attach the pic again after making an edit!

o

Howdy again, lol..

Yep, your plant is a Pothos.

An online friend, gave me a cutting 4/2009. Common names go by N'Joy and Pearls and Jade.

Pothos

This type is much more difficult than standard Pothos or whatever they're called, lol..Wish mine now looked as nice as yours. lol.
I also tried rooting cuttings...unlike other Pothos, this guy didn't take..tried both water and soil..No luck.

Toni

o

The thing to remember is that pothos is a latin genus name, and its also a commob name for similar type of plants.
Just like the word palm. It is applied to many plants that looks like palms but arent.

o

Larry, don't you just hate those taxonomists? They're turning the plant world upside down!

Toni, I had never seen this type before a few months ago, now it's turning up at a lot of nurseries. It's really pretty, if you can find one, go for it.

o

Well i prefer the taxonomists to those that give us misleading common names!
Traveller's Palm isnt a palm, its related to Bird of Paradise Flower, Grass of Parnassus isnt a grass , lucky bamboo is a dracena etc

o

Larry, you're so right! Try convincing a novice that a confederate rose isn't a rose. Or that an asparagus fern isn't a fern. Botanical names are best, but geeze, what a mess they are!

o

Try Palm Grass, Molineria capitulata, neither a palm nor a grass. Or Panama Hat Palm, Carludovica palmata, not from Panama, not a hat, and not a palm.

Botanical names aren't really a mess, they're very precise. So precise in fact that there's often disagreement between the experts as to what actually precisely they are, LOL.

o

Its just as bad with trees!
Sycamore is either a maple, a plane or a fig!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here