Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Never expected to find one of these...........

Posted by elkay 6a (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 3, 12 at 12:38

at Walmart, of all places!

Photobucket

I've seen red aglaonemas on ebay, but the sellers are in Thailand (with ONE exception - FL). They must've just gotten these in, because they were in good shape. The soil is very dense, tho, and saturated. I couldn't pass it by.

Pic with flash
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Never expected to find one of these...........

Very nice!

o

Elkay...Your Aglaonema is absolutely gorgeous. And like you said, finding such a beauty at Walmart of all places is very very unusual!!

Agreed, aside from a couple Fl sellers, red Aglaonemas are basically sold in Thailand..That's where mine were purchased.

Was there a tag with its species?

It's lovely..Good luck, Toni

o

Thanks, Toni. The marker in the pot simply said, 'Chinese Evergreen' and the sticker on the bottom of the pot said, 'Red Aglaonema'. No indication of where the plant came from or was grown.

o

Elkay, you're welcome.

Your Aglao resembles one I have called A 'Siam Prince,' but mine doesn't have as much red as it did when I bought it.
It gets quite a bit of shade, so most of my reds are now pink..:(

It's too bad Aleya Gardens no longer sells Aglaonemas. They had several pages of various Aglaonemas. None common.

One thing you can try. Does the tag have the authorization code? If so, Google the number in the search engine..sometimes a plant is named, other times it'll be as generic as your tag, lol. Don't mean to sound rude, but you know most labels are worthless. Toni

o

I also got one of these at Home Depot several months ago, they seem to be the same. Of course I snatched it up, and havent regreted it. IT's a very easy plant to care for. These must be getting more popular if they're now reaching big box stores.

o

Well I'd never expect to find one either... since I've never seen one until clicking on this. Now I want one too, even if it's not purple. Will check WM Fri.

I could see people wanting these for Christmas decorations, like Poinsettias. Can you believe they were setting up Christmas crap last Friday?

o

Toni - don't see an auth code.

purple - yep, Walmart had all the Christmas stuff up already - along with the Halloween things.

o

I saw one of these the other day at Wal-Mart when I purchased my Gasteria. I found the cultivar on Exotic Angel's website I think (not sure what the call it) and thought wow that's a gorgeous plant. I didn't expect to find it at Wal-Mart though, a number of the EA plants online, we never seem to have in our stores.

Planto

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here