Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shic_2006

My House Azalea Mass Blooming (beautiful images)

shic_2006
17 years ago

It blooms intermittently throughout the year. Now the weather gets cooler and I can tell they are setting a large number of buds. How cool is that!

{{gwi:106671}}

{{gwi:106672}}

{{gwi:106673}}

Comments (14)

• gobluedjm 9/18 CA
    17 years ago

I am so jealous! I just luv them, but too hot here.

• haxuan
    17 years ago

Yours look beautiful. I never know you can grow azalea indoors.
    I got some mass blooms too but mine is outside. I have never got this many blooms. Here's my beauty

{{gwi:106674}}

Thanks for looking.

Ha Xuan

• shic_2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I donÂt know that you can grow these in Vietnam which is in the tropical region. Do you get frost in winter over there? Also, have you considered fully doubled types, like mine? They are more challenging to keep!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

Haxuan, your azalea is perfectly lovely! Well formed, balanced, perfect color. I love the single blooms best of all. I'll bet your plant is fragrant, too. Good job!

• greattigerdane
    17 years ago

Haxuan,

I like the single ones best as well! Your Azalea bushes are just gorgeous! I have a white one and a new light peach colored one, both are growing outdoors.

Billy Rae

• shic_2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hmm, hmm, Â Â, why do you like the singles better? Is it not obvious that the deeply doubled ones are more adorable?

• canttype
    17 years ago

Nope, I'm liking the single too. You can see every detail of the blooms. I like single AV's and Hibs for the same reasons. 'Simply' lovely Ha Xaun!

Good growing to both of you:-)
    Diane

• shic_2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I guess you also prefer the wild 5-petaled roses over the "usual" roses ;-)

• naturelover_mtl
    17 years ago

Gorgeous! I love Azaleas. I wish I had the growing conditions for them! Great job you two...

• haxuan
    17 years ago

Shic... it's true that Vietnam is in tropical region. But we do have highland provinces, like Dalat, where the temp is from 60 to 80 all the year round. I once asked people in the Azalea forum why my azaleas never give out many blooms at a time like yours in Europe or US and the answer was 'because I don't have severe winter and summer' where I plant this bush.
    A couple of months ago, I decided to feed my azalea bush with some fertilizer to boost blooms... and I got it! I'm so happy.

• ooojen
    17 years ago

Good deal! Where I live, I have the opposite problem. Our winters are too severe for most Azeleas, and the few hybrids that will survive here don't generally give as many blooms. (You're right though, that much of the US has an excellent climate for them.)

• shic_2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Notice mine is planted in a lovely hanging basket. It does not matter how cold the winter is (I am in Zone 4/5a). It is how you care for these.

Also, you can grow rhododendron vireya varieties in the tropical.

• ooojen
    17 years ago

Yeah, I was referring to growing them as outdoor plants, following the comments about appropriate climate...like your saying you didn't know they could be grown in Viet Nam. Of course, indoors (with AC, heat, lights, humidifiers) one could grow them beautifully from Antartica to Singapore to Mali.
    I have a few outside, and would have more if I lived where the winters were milder. I don't chose to grow them inside, though at certain times of the year they're quite attractive.

• shic_2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ooojen,

Although planted in a pot, there is no reason to keep these indoors over the summer in colder regions. Mine bloom intermittently throughout the year outside. I leave them to the east side of my house. They seldom die after I got my water skew. They do need bit dryness between watering to avoid root rot. Sometimes, the surface look quite dry, but the reading is "quite wet". When they have a lot of flowers, I sometimes bring these indoors; or give some away as gifts. Most people, especially women of all ages, love them when in full bloom.

I have better luck rooting these than roses. I never successfully root a rose stem. Also I am never able to keep a rose alive indoors. I wonder if rose cuttings taken in the fall are not mean to live over winter.

However, under ideal condition, some of my "small leafed" cultivars show signs of monstrosity  the leaves have grown too large  suggesting a much larger breed.

What can I do?

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022