Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
runswithscissors_gw

Wanted: Purple Passion plant cutting

runswithscissors
12 years ago

Hi. I'm not sure if this is where I should place an ad, but I remember a purple passion from old that my sister had (woodstock, free love era) and I loved it. I can't find it in any nurseries around here in my area. I have a perfect spot to put it in an east window with taller plants to block the direct sunlight. (I will buy....)

Comments (9)

• zzackey
    12 years ago

Is this the fuzzy leaf plant with jagged edges and an orange stinky flower? Can you give me the Latin name or a picture? I have another plant I call purple passion I might be able to get a small cutting off of for you. Maggie

• runswithscissors
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, zackey. I had to google it because I wasn't sure what the latin name was. It's a Gynura aurantiaca and yes, the stinky fuzzy one. Since I googled it, I looked a little closer at the search results and found that I can buy one from the home depot website (store here does not carry it) but the postage is just as much as the little pot is! All I need is a cutting in a wet paper towel stuffed into a ziplock, and maybe a small padded envelope and I think I would be able to root it. Is this the purple plant you have?

• zzackey
    12 years ago

No, it's not. Sorry. I used to work in a garden center that sold them. Not an easy plant to find. I hope someone responds on here for you!

• luvidaho_2010
    12 years ago

I found some at Walmart today. 4" pot for $4.00. They were unpacking the boxes today so if you have a store close by, you might take a look. I had to search through all of the Christmas stuff to find the house plants.

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Runs:

I thought I saw some at Lowe's the other day, and when I went back there tonight to get one, they were half dead. I am sorry:-(

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Sorry, but it maybe the wrong time of year to find this plant. Am guessing you'd have better luck finding it in the Spring.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Runs, accents for home and garden has them available. They even have a variegated Purple Passion. Toni

• runswithscissors
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone,

I loved Accents for Homes & Gardens! You taught me about this website Hopeful. They had both kinds of plants for a very good price. Unfortunately I did not order because my order came to $12 and the shipping was $11. It's not the money, it's the principle of the matter. Why is shipping nowadays as much as the product? Especially in this age of on-line buying. Humpf! Makes me mad!

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Hi Runs. I agree...shipping has gotten so high the last couple years. Not only at Accents but other nurseries and sellers on Ebay.

It makes me so upset when I order 'one' plant for 4.99, pay 8.00 for shipping, then once the package arrives, check postage to find it's $2 and change.

I guess some sellers feel they have to get the boxes, paper/stuffing, wrapping, go to the PO, etc.. It should be S&H.

Some sellers charge more than Accents, a few the actual price.
    Problem is, when one wants 'X' plant, they'll pay the extra cost, especially hard to locate plants.

Purple Passion/Gynura is fairly common. They're sold at HD, grocery stores, and Walmart.
    If you can find one locally..

I noticed Accents has a variegated PP. See, if I really wanted this plant, 'which I wouldn't mind having,', lol, I'd pay the shipping.
    Also, Accents plants are so well wrapped, healthy, pest free, and good size.

But, keep looking around your area. If I had a PP I'd send you a cutting, but unfortunately, I don't. Sorry. Toni

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?