Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
re-potting

Posted by patann Z5 Mich (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 25, 11 at 13:10

If I re-potted 3 different small ficus' today or tomorrow, instead of waiting until July, would it really matter that much to the heathy growth of these plants?????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: re-potting

Patann...Why wait until July???

Every author, 'plant books,' advises repotting in spring or once new growth sprouts. Figure four months or so.

The reason spring is suggested is most plants go dormant once days shorten, don't like their roots disturbed.

In many cases people tend to over-water. Over-watering is the number 1 reason plants die. Most plants need less water during winter months.
So, if a plant is repotted in a larger pot now, more soil added and too much water is given, it'll likely get root rot.

I'll repot any season, but only if a plants' roots are so over-grown, bulging out of drainage holes, the container won't stand erect w/o tipping.

Often, I pot in January. No harm is done.

To be honest, if you water properly, allow soil to dry between waterings, a plant, Ficus or otherwise, will not keel over if it's repotted today, tomorrow or next week.

Ficus can be fussy, drop leaves. But if you're careful, again water properly and place in bright light, or wherever it normally lives, no leaves should fall. Toni

o

Thanks Toni, it is nice to see that there is at least one person with common sense left here.
NOBODY WILL PROSECUTED FOR PLANTING IN SOMETHING ELSE THEN "GRITTY MIX" OR DOING SOMETHING TO THEIR FICUS IN ANY OTHER MONTH THEN JUNE OR JULY!!!

o

Are they Ficus benjamina? If so, the leaves have probably made a pact with each other to drop just because you're considering messing with them. (Insert "made-a-joke" sound effect.) Seriously, though, I agree with Toni, in about 4 months would be an ideal time.

o

thank you, thank you, thank you. three thank-yous for three peeps.
pat

o

Purple, there you go again, making me LOL. LOL.

Pat, you're welcome, you're welcome, you're welcome. Think that's adequate your welcomes, lol. Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here