Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
syrcais

Want to repot Rhaphidophora tetrasperma. Advice?

wendync
10 years ago

I have this little cutting of Rhaphidophora tetrasperma that I bought a few months ago and sort of ignored. I know I should have repotted it sooner, but I didn't. Any way, it was an odd cutting and has grown into a strange looking little plant, with all of it's growth coming from a little stubby node, which makes it very top heavy to one side--as in the picture below. Is there a way I can cut this and re-root it without killing the plant? Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Comments (7)

• dellis326 (Danny)
    10 years ago

I wouldn't cut it at all. Just put it in a bigger pot and give it something to climb. You'll probably need to train it so just stick a board or stick of bamboo in the pot with it and tie the plant to it

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

It's looking really good. You could repot as suggested, but deeper to take the old stem below soil level. You could cut off the new growth and lay it on top of the soil in another pot, the old stem should sprout a new shoot. They are a climber so will always look for something to climb. The plant will eventually get quite long.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

What's the difference between Rhaphidophhora and Monstera?
    Or are they the same plant? Toni

• asleep_in_the_garden
    10 years ago

Hi Toni!

here's the info on rhaphidophora...

Kingdom: Plantae
    (unranked): Angiosperms
    (unranked): Monocots
    Order: Alismatales
    Family: Araceae
    Subfamily: Monsteroideae
    Tribe: Monstereae
    Genus: Rhaphidophora

...and this is monstera...

Kingdom: Plantae
    (unranked): Angiosperms
    (unranked): Monocots
    Order: Alismatales
    Family: Araceae
    Subfamily: Monsteroideae
    Tribe: Monstereae
    Genus: Monstera

These two are really close,huh? From what I understand the monsteras are all new world plants while rhaphs are old world types. :)

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

Monstera come generally from South America whilst Rhaphidophora are from south east Asia and Australia. Rhaphidophora includes some very interesting plants referred to as "Shingle Plants".

• dellis326 (Danny)
    10 years ago

Yeah you could cut off the growing end and re-root it. then you'll have two. Pot em up in the same pot to have a fuller planting. If you re-pot it as it is it'll probably grow aerial root from the horizontal section of stem down to the soil which would be very interesting to look at. Either way it's a good idea to give it something to climb.

What's it doing off to the left of your photo? Is it a stem with growth on it or is it bare? You could chop that off too and possibly start a new plant from it.

Hi Toni
    Here's a few basics to answer your question.

Monstera have a geniculum where the petioles join the leaves. R. tetrasperma do not.

R. tetrasperma petioles are much more slender and longer in relation to the leaves than M. Deliciosa.

M. Del's have a fatter Stem (vine) and the petioles are larger where they attach to it.

Rhaph's petioles are "D" shaped in cross section and the Monstera's have a somewhat flattened oval cross section.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning,

Asleep, for some reason I was thinking, Rhipsalis. After seeing the photo, I'm thinking, WHAT???

Thanks..I managed to Google and found info.

Danny, thank you...except, I'm once again confused. lol.

Well, sort of kidding...will Google again, check photos..Thanks...

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner