Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marquest_gw

What do you think?

marquest
12 years ago

I have a job that takes me out every Monday flying to every part of the US and Puerto Rico. In my spare time on the road I spend looking for plants in the area even in the garbage.

Many times around the hotel the landscapers pull out the plants and throw them in a big garbage can. There I am dumpster diving in my silk suit and heels picking out plants. Envision that sight. LOL

I picked out of the garbage this plant which was a small thing in Miami. It was taking over the front of the hotel landscape. Now I know why they were pulling so many of them out and pitching them. It really multiplies fast,

I think it is a cousin of Moonshine Sans.. What do you think?

{{gwi:106834}}

{{gwi:106836}}

This I got again as a outcast in Puerto Rico. This one is slow. But the one I saw in the ground was huge about 5 x 6.

{{gwi:106838}}

Comments (17)

• amccour
    12 years ago

What do I think? I think that anyone that rescues plants from dumpsters is a lot cooler than I am :) Especially if they're doing it in dress clothes.

(Which actually provides a reasonable excuse if anyone complains. Just say you're a professional, and leave it at that).

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

What do I think?

Do you suppose you could spend a little extra time in the dumpster looking for a plant like that for me? O, I love it! Beautiful I do have a thing for Sans.

Mike

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

I think it's the best next thing to 'borrowing' cuttings. lol.
    The top Sans is really something. It looks like Moonshine/light but yours has a stripe in the center. Very, very nice, especially considering what you paid.

The variegated plant looks like a Agave Americana variegata. Not 100%..both are very very nice plants..

I also think, while you're getting Mike plants, don't forget me. lol. Toni

• marquest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes Toni it only cost me a little dignity. LOL The reason why I questioned if it was a Sans was because of the size of the ones that were in the ground they were about 4' tall and the leaves were huge. I guess growing in the ground in that heat and rain makes thing grow big.

If I start grabbing extra plant garbage I will have to start leaving underwear behind to fit them in the suitcase. Oh well I have done it before I guess I can do it again. LOL

Mike you can have one of the Sans this thing is a speed grower. I have to separate and repot before I bring it inside for the winter.

This one was New Orleans It was a real tiny thing I thought it might be a weed. But I picked it up brought it home and planted. I did not see any plants around that looked like this at the hotel.

{{gwi:106841}}

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

AWWW, killer Agave..lol..Agave Americana. Nasty thorns!

Mine is still outside, lying horizontally. lol. The winds are super strong..remaining plants have been dropping all day long..actually, since yesterday.

Marquest, leave all your clothes behind, including those you're wearing. This way, ppl will be cocentrating on other, ahem, parts, and you walk away with some nice plants. lol.

Is the other plant, Plectanthus? Does it have a minty fragrance? Toni

• Amanda (asarumgreenpanda, z6MA)
    12 years ago

Marquest, those are fantastic finds! Absolutely worth a little dignity -- worth extra underwear and a trip to the drycleaners for a 'dumpsterized" silk suit, too. I also love, love, love, love that sans with the center stripe. It looks like only one side of one rosette has the stripe? I wonder if offsets from that side will also be striped. It's gorgeous!

I agree, the second one looks like an agave. So does the third one, to my eye.

I've never found plants on a business trip (but then, I don't go on many business trips). I did once work at a (plant) nursery owned by a non-plant person. As soon as anything looked slightly less than perfect, the owner threw it out. Those of us who liked plants got quite a few free ones from the trash. One day, I found four past-bloom but very healthy lilacs in the trash. They were huge, and I had to put them on a cart and wheel them out. The owner, who actually hadn't gone home as I'd thought he had, saw me. "Thank you, Amanda," he said. I was baffled by that comment until I realized he was such a non-plant person, he didn't recognize the shrubs he'd thrown out that morning. He thought I'd purchased them from the nursery.

Anyway, great work!

Amanda

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Wow Marquest,

What do I think, it's beautiful, that's what & if I may be so bold I'd like some too.

Seriously, must be some kind of cousin of Sans Moonshine,that dark stripe is exceptional! I really am drooling.

I hadn't realized you were a woman. I'm a recovering textile designer, so I particularly enjoyed the visual of you in a silk suit & heels extricating plants from dumpsters. Good for you, if I'd seen this Sans w/ its stripe, I'd have gone for it too!! Great job!

• marquest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

asarumgreenpanda, you would have found plants on a business trip if you looked I bet. LOL There were times I even asked for the plants they had in hallway. They changed those sometime it depends what time of year you are staying at the hotel.

I never worry about getting my cloths dirty, because I have to have them dry cleaned after every trip. I think because I live in a cool climate I perspire a lot in the hot states so I can only wear them one time and they go to the cleaners. The company pays for cleaning if you are gone more than 4 dys, I am gone 5-7 dys depending on the destination.

Yes Toni that is a Plectanthus, it is in probably every plant pot I own. if a piece falls off I stick it in another pot. It seems to keep bugs away and it does not care how much sun, or water it gets.

pirate girl we have to be bold. Jump in dumpsters and ask for what we want. LOL

I think there are three off shots, I can send you one too. I have been sharing the plant every year because it multiplies so fast. I will check it out tomorrow and email you. I am only keeping one shot. I cannot promise you it will stripe. But this one did not have the stripe when I pulled it out of the dump. The one with the stripe is the original plant though. It started sending out the stripe leaves last year.

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Marquest!

How about if I be bold number two?

I never ask for anything, but I am in love with that Sans.

I e-mailed you and I will pay you well for a pup.

Thank you

Mike

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Wow Marquest,

What do I think, it's beautiful, that's what & if I may be so bold I'd like some too.

Seriously, must be some kind of cousin of Sans Moonshine,that dark stripe is exceptional! I really am drooling.

I hadn't realized you were a woman. I'm a recovering textile designer, so I particularly enjoyed the visual of you in a silk suit & heels extricating plants from dumpsters. Good for you, if I'd seen this Sans w/ its stripe, I'd have gone for it too!! Great job!

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hi all,

Sorry for the double post, my mistake.

I was really teasing Marquest, but if you're game to swap, can I offer you some other Sans? I have a number of different kinds, just few formal IDs on them. It's just that that stripe is SO bizarre, rather jaw dropping to me. Sort of like DNA on an acid trip, that band of dark, patterned regular-looking green in the stripe, on a leaf so completely dissimilar, I'm just astounded!

• marquest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

pirate-girl, I will send you a pup I do not need a trade. You can just send the postage when you receive. Postage is sky high these days.

I cannot promise you it will stripe like the momma. I really think it is the bad treatment it is probably doing strange things to survive. No gritty soil, stuffed in a pot with three other plants, in hot sun on the patio it is just doing strange things. I really punish my plants. LOL

They all have the dark edge though. PM me your addy.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

Marquest,

The image of you in silk and heels dumpster-diving for plants is one I'd like reenacted so that photographic images can be shown, kind of a how-to episode(s) on cheap plants. A Bravo Zulu to you, and I'd do the same thing in a heartbeat (and if the plant was nice enough, I'd wear heels, too, but having never worn them before, I'd need some tips).

• marquest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jeff you are mean, I take back all the nice things I said about you. I cannot believe you want to post on YouTube your old plant buddy in a dumpster. LOL

I must explain this heels thing....It was created by Men for Man's viewing pleasure of women. They really are not the best thing to wear when you dumpster dive. LOL

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    12 years ago

Wow, I just read this post. The 1st. agave is Agave vivipara (angustifolia) variegate, I have lots, if any one wants any, e-mail me. The second agave is probly Agave Americana. The blue agave is hard to tell because of so many look-a-likes. Also I would like to put on the list for the new great looking sans if you can. I can pay ahead for postage and handling. Please e-mail me.
    Stush, I post pictures on agaves latter.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    12 years ago

Marguest,
    He's the pictures promised.
    {{gwi:106843}}
    {{gwi:106845}}
    {{gwi:106847}}
    {{gwi:106849}}
    {{gwi:106851}}
    {{gwi:106853}}
    In Florida some trim thier Agave with shears other leave natural. I myself trim with finger nail clippers. Only the very tips so they don't jab you. Can't hardly notice it.
    Stush

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Stush. Your Agaves are beautiful.
    I like the way you clipped, they look nice and neat.

But with nail clippers! It must take hours clipping each leaf..lol.

However, your Agaves look great. I think clipping improves their looks too. Toni