Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celinecelica

Help mystery plant

celinecelica
9 years ago

I got this plant 2 years ago, it was very small. Now it is very big but I don't know what it is...

Can somebody help me ?

Thanks

Comments (19)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Looks like a variegated Dracaena, corn plant.

Josh

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Do a quick image search of "dracaena deremensis" and see if that's what you think it is.

• grrr4200
    9 years ago

I had one of theseveral long ago and hope the name comes sround. It's leaves are serrated like a knife and grows s cool root system that seems to push the plant above ground level, smashing plant, i want one!

• Adam Harbeck
    9 years ago

Variegated Pandanus of some description.

• stewartsjon
    9 years ago

Yep, think a Pandandus.

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    9 years ago

Or Dracaena sanderiana?

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Okay, I feel dumb for asking, but I don't really pay attention to Dracaenas (not my kind of plant). Do they have serrated edges on their leaves? I'm just asking because the one in question appears to have serrated edges. That may help in determining if the plant is indeed a Pandandus or a Dracaena.

Planto

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Pandanus has spines. You must have zoomed in to see them,Beth,..that or my poor eyes are getting worse. Anyhoo that cuts it.

I've reconsidered my initial guess and am now firmly in agreement with Adam.

Never kept one before.
    From what I've read,they can hurt ya if you're not careful.

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    9 years ago

I see what you mean now too, planto. I didn't look at that. I have no dracaenas, although I grew them years ago. Anyway, it is really pretty. celinecelica.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Jon,
    Lol! No comment on your eyesight. :P

Marguerite,
    That's okay. It does look alot like a Dracaena.

Planto

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Yeah,...I've been(sorta)getting by on readers,but I've needed a prescription for years now. When reading an actual book,I stack two on top of each other...looks pretty goofy. lol

When surfing and whatnot,the monitor is at the foot of the bed and I typically hold the readers out a few inches from my face to bring the screen into focus.

The lengths I'll go to in order to avoid a visit to the optometrist!

Anyway...I feel better knowing that smart folks like you and the rest of the gang are around with a fully functioning set of peepers to help me out when I drop the proverbial ball. :)

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Jon,
    Haha. It's okay, without my contacts/glasses, I'm as blind as they come. I can make out things because I know what they are, but put me in an area where I don't know where I am, I wouldn't be able to "see" anything.

Planto

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Oh okay...so I'm in good company then. lol

At least I didn't think it was a chlorophytum.

Now THAT woulda been embarrassing! :D

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Jon,
    In that case, I would of had to drive up there, throw you in the trunk, and take you to an eye doctor! Haha!

Planto

• subtropix
    9 years ago

Pandanus veitchii, no doubts. Yes, the leaves are serrated and do cause some minor dermititis in most people, if not worse. No, not all Pandanus are serrated. (Not familiar with any dracaenaps that are.) They make terrific houseplants but need space and they will eventually lift themselves out their containers.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Just kind of assumed that Beth's observation of the spines and what I'd just read about them having them had to be more than just a coincidence is all.

Well Beth,I fold neatly in the glove compartment,but much like the family dog who doesn't know he's going to the vet,I'd have to be tricked into thinking we were going to the park or something. ;)

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Njoasis,
    Interesting. I'd never seen a Pandanus before coming to this site. Another plant they don't sell in my neck of the woods. :/

Jon,
    Haha! What kind of dog do you have? We have a Beagle/Chihuahua mix. Fortunately, she doesn't have either breed's bark nor is she really all that "barky." Our spoiled four-legged fur child.
    Planto

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

OOPS!

Didn't mean to mislead ya there...when I said "the family dog" I was speaking in general. It's been quite a while since I've had a "fur kid",but at the moment that vacuum is being filled with "scale kids". Three anoles,two males and a female.

They're the best! :)

Edited to say that you dodged a bullet with that pooch...I have a friend who had a beagle and omg if there's one thing you lean quickly about that breed,it's that they are the most vociferous of the hounds.

EEKgads that thing was noisy! lol

This post was edited by asleep_in_the_garden on Sun, Oct 26, 14 at 11:03

• teengardener1888
    9 years ago

Beautiful plant. I do want to clarify that no Dracaena(that im aware of) have spines. I will say both chlorophytum and dracaena came to mind until I saw the serrated edges, and planto and asleep im iilegally blind, but I can see just enough with glasses to do most activities, including typing.

I think the plant is Plantus stripus beautifulcas