Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marquest_gw

Need suggestions

marquest
12 years ago

I had new windows installed in this old house. Now my window ledge is only about 1". Is there something out there that you can add to the ledge to make them deeper to give you more space to pots on the window ledges?

Comments (18)

• marquest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They are marble so I cannot screw anything on them nor do I want to.

• amccour
    12 years ago

Buying floor-standing shelves is probably your best bet. How close could you get something like that to your window?

• Moosetrackz
    12 years ago

You can get the ones they make for cats at just about any pet store. I don't think they require you to screw them in at all. They come with a fleece liner but you just don't put that part on and that would probably work well. They can be pricey though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cat perch

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Hey!

Is there wall just under your window ledges?

By the way, hi Marquest!

Mike

• marquest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

amccour, that is a good idea but I have a sunroom I just wanted to put some plants in the windows and did not want to add anything else to the floor space.

Moosetrackz, that is a good thought I could maybe make something like that, I have a ton of scrap lumber from the house remodel projects.

Hi back at you Mike. No there is not a drop of space under the window sills they are flush to the wall. I even added molding around the windows since this pic. (by the way that is a window to the left I took the pic in the dark. It is 80" long. I could get a lot of plants along that sill) LOL
    {{gwi:106951}}

• Amanda (asarumgreenpanda, z6MA)
    12 years ago

That's a pretty room, Marquest.

While this probably wouldn't work with the 80" window, if you have narrower ones, you could put brackets on each side of the window and use them to support glass shelves.

Amanda

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

I don't have any ideas but just wanted to commiserate with you. Why do some windows have no sills? They should be a requirement on all windows!

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Marquest, that is exactly what I was going to say!

Amanda had a good idea. That is what I do for my plants. I use brackets just under the window sill on both far ends then put a nice glass or shelve on them. I think it would look wonderful to go along with that nice looking room:-0)

{{gwi:106952}}

{{gwi:106953}}

Mike

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Hi Marquest..Beautiful room, and a nice, big window, BUT, I just noticed the heating vent, 'it is a heating vent?' under the window.
    Is it a vent or radiator? If radiator, what type is it? Steam, hot water??

BTW, I adore your furniture..Beautiful wood.

Purple, WE should protest in Washington.. Change the law, 'All Windows Must Have Large Sills!!' lol.

I was going to suggest larger sills, that is, until Marquest said the new sills are marble. They sell nice, wide/deep sills at hardware stores..Easy to install.

Mike, can't tell for sure, but wonder if there's enough space for brackets under/between sill and vent, however, Amanda's idea would work..

Mike, I love your glass ledge..What a terrific idea! Better than wood, especially if you have a second glass ledge..
    That pane is thick! Must be heavy?

I see, your Aloe has a flower. Leaves are nice and red..Love your Yellow Jade, too..God, it's gorgeous with the stripe down the center. Do you know its species? Toni

• marquest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mike I think you have given me the cure. I love that idea. I think I can fit the brackets between the rads.

Thanks guys for the compliments. I brought this old house and although I am a totally Modern Millie furniture wise I wanted furniture to fit the style of the house.

This is so off topic....LOL but I did not realize that first of all most furniture is Modern Millie and second if you want wood they are cheap crappy cardboard glued together stuff for a high price. I had to find Auctions and Estate sales to find furniture to match the house. Finding real wood furniture is harder than finding money on trees these days.

Toni it is radiators and hot water heating. I have since had wood covers made to make them look like a piece of furniture. If I had been thinking I would have had them built as high as the window and I could have added Mike's plan on top. Hind sight has always been my problem thinking with my butt.

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Marquest!

Hind sight is always 20/20! You can always see what you should of done.lol

By the way, did I tell you how much I love your furniture? Oh, I can just see you running to HD within the next few days looking for shelves and brackets.
    Just think of all the sunlight being wasted.

Toni: That is a species I do not know of for sure.
    But it is one that I am sure you will end up with someday.:-0)

Mike

• marquest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mike you know me even though we have never met. I went and picked up the brackets. Being a Modern Millie I had the glass. My other house had glass everywhere and I could not use it in this house because it did not fit the style of house.

The problem....The walls are crazy hard. Not your new house drywall situation. I went back to HD and brought a concrete drill bit and I still have not been able to drill through this darn wall. I will keep at it I know I can do this.

Oh and thank you for the furniture compliment. Although I love the modern style this seems like a good fit for me not grandmas furniture style and not modern millie. It is a good middle of the road style to fit the house style.

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Marquest!

I am laughing here. You crack me up!lolol

I know you can do it! What is behind those walls anyways? I always thought sheet rock was..lol I always use sheet rock screws.

Please, let me see the finsihed job! Would love that.
    I can only imagine how everything is going to look after you set that up!

Mike;-)

• marquest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mike this is a house built back in the day when it was cheap to really build a house. When I had the bathrooms remodeled the contractor said he would have charged me more if he had known what was behind these walls.

To enlarge the bathrooms he took out a wall that consisted of 3" of plaster, 2" of concrete, 1" Terracotta, another 1" of concrete, last the outside brick. Getting a screw in these walls is a job.

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Well, in that case, it sounds like your house is hurricane proof and certainly able to stand to an earthquake! :-0))

I will be so happy for you if you can put shelves up. Let us know when you do and takes a few shots. I can invison it with some of those pretty plants you have there. They will certainly frolick in that sunny window.

I am sure you will be able to screw them in. My home is made of cement in the Carribeans, and some how my dad seems to be able to hang pictures on the wall.

Are your plants still outside? Most of my succulents are back out again. There is going to be a stretch of many nice warm sunny days and cool nights. Perfect for coloring up!

Mike;-)

• marquest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Mike. Yes they are still out we are cool 50s high low 36 but I leave my plants out until they say frost.
    Tomorrow I will get some cuttings of coleus bring in my Banana Aroids and Colocasia, Plumeria and other really tender houseplants. The tropical plants, Brugmansias, Cannas stay out until the frost kills the leaves. That is usually Nov.

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Marquest:

I have a ? for you if I may?

This is the first year I have ever grown a Canna and Brugs. I have two Cannas and one Brug that are just beautiful and I have been told I should dig them up after a hard frost. But then what? lol

Thank you

Mike

• marquest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mike I grow all my tropicals in pots. I just drag them in to the Laundry room that is cool and give them a glass of water about once a month. In March they start growing.

If you have a cool spot you could pull them and put them in smaller pots to store over the winter. One Canna I had in a tiny pot with a little potting soil on top of it and it started to grow in March. You do not need a lot of soil just enough that it thinks it is resting in a Zone 7 and above for the winter. I have never lost a Brug or Canna this way.

All the instructions I have read for Cannas is.....
    Wait until the leaves die back remove them from the soil. Let the soil dry. Shake off the excess soil and store in newspaper in a area that is not warmer than 60 or lower than 40. Check them mid-winter to make sure they are not muchy.

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure