Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kim1313_gw

Spider Plants

kim1313
9 years ago

I was told many years ago, that you can not plant a variegated spider plant with a plan green plant in one container because they will kill each other.
Does anyone know if this is true?
I have 2 huge beautiful plants with lots of babies and would like to plant a combination of them into a new container.
Thanks for your help

Comments (18)

• kim1313
    Original Author
    9 years ago

pic of the variegated spider

• kim1313
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pic of the green spider plant.

• sewnmom7
    9 years ago

how beautiful...would you trade a couple of each for reg. ivy; its rooted already....molly sewnmom7@yahoo.com

• summersunlight
    9 years ago

Your plants look very healthy! Nice job! I seldom plant more than one plant in the same pot, but I would not hesitate to pot two spider plants together. I think whoever told you that was just telling you an old wives' tale.

This post was edited by summersunshine on Thu, Oct 16, 14 at 16:08

• Photo Synthesis
    9 years ago

WoW! Awesome Spiders you've got there. Way to grow!

Yeah, I wouldn't give that old wives' tale any merit. Planting two different Spiders together would be no different than just planting two of the same species together with each other. You have more than plenty of those baby Spiders, I'd have to say go for it. Give it a try, and start another pot with several of both varieties. What have you got to lose? You don't have to experiment with the two parent plants. They already make a statement all on their own. "If it's not broke, don't fix it."

I have a Hawaiian Spider, but it's nowhere near this big just yet. Tho, the original parent Spider that I got my pup from was just as huge and beautiful as yours are. So, for the moment, it's only just "one" plant in the hanging pot. It produced several offshoots this year. Once I bring it back inside for the winter, I plan on trimming them all off. Some, I'll use to help fill out the rest of the pot, and the rest I plan on just giving away or trading. :)

• kim1313
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone I got the parent plants from my nephew. They were in the same pot he had bought them in a year or so ago. The pots were just about split in half and duct taped together. lol They were almost dead. I have taken great pride in bringing them back to life and watching them grow. The variegated one was pollinated while it was outside, so the babies are a little smaller, but starting to catch up now

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Wow, for being almost dead, they look amazing!

Planto

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Kim

They are beautiful.
    Great 'recovery' in a year.
    What is your secret to get them to be so?

Is that coleus on the left of the solid green spider?
    Rina

• kwie2011
    9 years ago

I'm a bit of a spider junky - 8 distinct cultivars so far. I have also heard the myth that spiders don't like each other. I think it arises from the very different vigor of different cultivars and the opportunity for a more vigorous variety to crowd out a less vigorous one.

You have C. comosum 'variegatum', the most vigorous of the variegated varieties. It's pretty evenly matched in height, leaf length, and growth speed with the ancestral green form, but not quite. Spider plants have enormous, tuberous roots, and it's possible you'll find the green one crowds the variegated one out below the soil, and the 'variegatum' begins to decline, but if so, just separate them. They don't have toxins or anything, so there'd be no permanent damage. I think those two will be fine together, but I wouldn't plant, say, a Hawaiian with either, or a 'Vittatum' because the former is less vigorous, and the latter is a monster that grows very differently.

Would love to see pics and hear how they do. They are a couple of lovely, healthy plants. Theyook great.

• greendale
    9 years ago

Kwie2011: do you have pictures of your spider plants ? Curious to see what they are and what the plant look. Thanks

• kwie2011
    9 years ago

1. green/ancestral form
    2. Curly green
    3. C. comosum 'vittatum' - white center, very long leaf
    4. Dwarf variety derived from 'vittatum'
    5. 'Bonni' curly leafed variety derived from 'vittatum'
    6. C. comosum 'variegatum' has white margin (Ocean is a minor variety of this, so is Pacific, but they're very similar)
    7. Hawaiian - white central stripe turns green with age
    8. Creamy central stripe - probably derived from 'vittatum'

All mine except my green one are very young. I lost most of my plants in an extended move, and I'm just getting started again. But it's worthwhile to know the only plant that survived 2 long, cold, dark winters in an RV was the green spider plant. Even my 20 year-old Syngonium succumbed, but the spider seemed to thrive on it. It's an almost indestructible plant.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Kwie,
    Just an FYI, I've seen the curly green ones called 'Green Bonnie.'

Planto

• RioSeven
    9 years ago

What about the spider fire flash? Does that count? I have a small one. Pretty slow growing. No runners - it gets seeds but my hasn't yet. Over all pretty forgiving plant. I can't figure out its preferences. It always looks the same. Strange!

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

That counts IMO. Definitely doesn't look like the common 'Spider Plant' most people know of, but a 'Spider Plant' it is!

It's a shame the BBS around here only sold them when I first got into plants years ago. I've never seen anymore since then. :/ At the time I wasn't interested, but now that I am...

Planto

• RioSeven
    9 years ago

If mine ever produces seeds I am more than willing to send you some Planto. Apparently they produce tons of seeds but mine has not yet. I have only had it a few months. I am hoping next summer...

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Rio,
    Cool!

Planto

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

RioSeven

That is very interesting spider (I didn't know something like that exists...).
    I see you are in Ont, Canada - would you mind sharing where you got it from?
    If impossible to find - could I be on waiting list for few seeds if & when you have some?
    Thanks, Rina

• RioSeven
    9 years ago

Rina, sure! According to this guy's website Plants Are The Strangest People, the seeds get out of hand and then fill the pot with baby plants, so I should get seeds. And the nice thing about growing from seed is that you know there are no mealybugs...which brings me to where I bought it from.

I got the plant at Rona in Ottawa. They have several stores but the big stores in Nepean and Orleans have massive garden centres. I have never been to the Orleans location, but the one in Nepean has a huge mealybug infestation.

I bought many plants there before I knew about mealybugs and most of them had mealybugs. I've since returned to the store and every plant I checked there had mealybug. Fortunately I think I got rid of all the mealybugs because I only found a handful, like one or two in each plant and I haven't seen any in weeks. But I was aggressive, throwing away most plants that had any. Fortunately none of my spiders had any, the bugs don't seem to prefer them.