Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White fuzzy mold appeared almost overnight

Posted by BloomAddict none (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 13:46

This is an African Violet in a watering pot. The soil is MG Cactus. I've had the plant about 6 months now. I'm very new to house plants as in this might have been the first one. Is this a form of mold or something worse? I look at the plants almost daily and didn't notice this yesterday. Thank you for your help!

Edited to add: Right after I posted this I pulled the plant out of the soil to dry. I'll leave it out to clean the mud off the roots then repot in a faster draining soil. I'll use the same pot just leave the water well dry.

This post was edited by BloomAddict on Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 14:57

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White fuzzy mold appeared almost overnight

Hi BA,

Your African Violet definately has mold.

I don't understand what you mean by, 'the AV is in a watering pot.'
Does the container have drainage holes???

Besides using well-draining soil, soil needs to dry between waterings..
The pot should have drainage, too.

With a paper towel, wipe as much mold off as possible. Toss old soil.
If you use MG, you'll need to amend with perlite, tiny pebbles and/or small orchid bark. The smallest in size.

I've been told to sprinkle cinnamon on mold. It helped with my succulent.

How much light is your AV getting? Also, is the room warm or cool?

How often do you water?

I water my AV's via the saucer. When they're fertilized, it's done on top. So far so good. :)

Good luck,, Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here